Beware of 'free' BT Sport!

Options
Our latest mailing from BT is offering free BT Sport if you get certain of their mobile phone packages.

We got free BT Sport a few years ago as part of a package.

What they didn't tell us was that the 'free' bit was only for the first year.

Pays to read the small print.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why are you surprised? Any such offer is ALWAYS for a contractual period, not ad infinitum.

Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk ... they ALL do exactly the same thing.

Your warning is a non-event, frankly.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Teapot55 wrote: »
    Our latest mailing from BT is offering free BT Sport if you get certain of their mobile phone packages.

I think nearly all the TV/'phone packages operate this way. All the promotional material I've ever seen certainly seems that way, and the (free offer applicable only for the first year/6 months) clause is stated on the advertising.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I think BT sport now costs £3 ish a month.
    Had an interesting discussion with them as to how charging me but giving me more was an improvement
  • True_Blue_64
    Options
    According to the letter I got today they will charge £6.75 pm unless I renew my contract. I haven't yet checked if it will be 'free' if I renew...
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Teapot55 wrote: »

So they did tell you ;)
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whats new, its always been the case to read the small print with whatever your thinking of taking out.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    They offered me "free" 12 months sport and could not understand why I said no. The fact they did not any sport that interested me surprised them. A bloke that did not watch footer was almost unheard of. Had it been F1 I might have been tempted.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 August 2017 at 10:07AM
    Options
    I've got it (free) mainly for the football, Moto GP, and the WSB and BSB on Eurosport. :)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They offered me "free" 12 months sport and could not understand why I said no. The fact they did not any sport that interested me surprised them. A bloke that did not watch footer was almost unheard of. Had it been F1 I might have been tempted.
    Exactly! All these deals are based on what the marketing types think is most in demand. Then added to bundles which make it look like you are getting lots for your money - but I'd guess that most people are only regularly watching less than half of the channels they are paying for. Might be different for a family where there are kids of different ages all watching different things (in different rooms at different times) but that's likely to be a more expensive option.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Thanks for the warning. I've cancelled everything and now I am leaving Biosphere 1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure