I've told my son to leave. I feel awful.

suzannewysiwyg
suzannewysiwyg Posts: 112 Forumite
Hi Guys

Thank you for reading.

My son is 21. The last few years have been difficult, not majorly perhaps. No police involvement, no physical violence.

I love my son dearly, but it seems fairly obvious he does not love me.

He has borrowed money without asking, helps himself to things that aren't his, breaks them, takes them and only owns up when he is caught out, he then makes promises to replace/pay back but this never happens.

He works full time, but his time keeping is absolutely atrocious, he turns up to work about 45 minutes late every day without so much as an apology. He has now been given a first and final warning for constant lateness and for being caught making out with his girlfriend in the office at work. Regardless of this he is still late.

I was stupid enough to give him a sum of money a few years ago for driving lessons and he had money left him in his Grandads will. He has squandered the lot and has nothing to show for it. Although he lied for months saying he still had it.

I asked him to pay some rent, which I set at £30 pw, this covered everything, (he was eating steak everynight, as was in to the gym). Initially this was going ok, but then he decided that his room was a lot smaller than his mates, so without discussion he lowered his rent. He has since decided he is never home, and spends his time as his girlfriends, which he does, so he has stopped his rent completely (again without discussion).

He has constantly over stepped boundaries, smoking in his room, coming home drunk, coming home in the early hours, banging the doors, throwing up etc etc, all the normal stuff.

About ten months ago he decided he was going to do his motorbike test, instead of doing the test he bought a brand new motorbike, that he didn't know how to use. It stood for months in the garden, whilst he tried to ride it. I nagged and nagged him to insure it, but this fell on deaf ears. Eventually the bike needed to be parked at the front of our house, so my son took his test, (failing the first) he passed second time. (My son doesn't expect to have to put any effort in to anything, hence being sent home from his first test!) I purchased for my son Kevlar clothing, hoody, jeans and a chain lock for his bike. A month or so later the bike was stolen in broad daylight. (My son accused me of putting someone up to it because I don't approve of him having a bike). (His bike was not chain locked when it was stolen).

The bike was on HP, he had paid off very little, and didn't get what he wanted from the insurance. He did however, get a court fine which he has criticised, dismissed and hidden. (for the bike not being insured from the day of purchase) When questioned about it he has lied and said it was paid off. The letters start coming through the letter box. He totally ignores them. I find one of the letters and stupidly pay it for him, at first he's really grateful "thanks Mom you didn't need to do that" etc etc. We agreed he paid me back in instalments, £35 pm. I ask him for £35, he says he hasn't got it and that I shouldn't have paid the debt anyway, it was a 'stupid fine'. He has no intention of paying what he owes me. - Low and behold another letter comes, I hoped it was a receipt for what I had paid. (My son confirmed it was a thank you letter) He leaves the letter on his bed, and it says the payment could not be accepted, because it had been so long since it had been issued it had been passed on to an enforcement agency, another fee has been added to it). Another lie.

I am unable to contact my son unless he is in a wifi area, because he hasn't paid his mobile phone bill.

In the background to this, since my sons bike has been stolen he has bought another 3 bikes, not knowing anything about them, or the running of. (My husband, his Step Dad has offered to assist, but my son wants everything NOW) The most recent one, he seized the engine, because he doesn't understand the need for 'oil'. Hence it was worth nothing. I thought he had moved on from the bike thing, but he lets it slip he's now getting another one. He buys bikes like other people buy petrol.

The letters keep coming through the door, but my son hasn't been living here for months, he has stopped his rent, and only appears once every couple of weeks. He has a girlfriend he has been with for just over a year, a nice girl, with a son. He has told her what an awful mother I am and how i have destroyed his life.

On occassion, my son returns home because he and his girlfriend have had a row, he then looks around the house for razors which he breaks into litte pieces and drags violently through his flesh on his thighs, this is another turn to option that he takes if I don't give him the answers that he wants or if we approach a topic of conversation that he does not like. I have entered his room in the morning unknowing that he has self harmed and there are puddles of blood on his bedroom floor. It's almost a manipulation thing, 'If I don't get my own way, I will scar myself for life'.

I can't do this anymore, he is breaking my heart and making me ill. We have arranged family counselling but he refuses to go.

Last night, he appeard at about 10:30, and started to cook himself tea in the kitchen as if he is there every night. He's returned because he doesn't want to be around his girlfriends son who has chicken pox. (Not a thought about the rest of us) He never comes back to see us or enquire about how we are, it's all him, him, him.

I just flipped, he is one of those people that spends his money on what he wants. He has no bills to pay perse, but is still in debt up to his eye balls. Any letters that come for him now, I mark the envelope as 'gone away' I told him this. We aren't rich, but we make sure our bills are paid before anything else. We have offered to do budgeting plans with him and I have offered to refer him for assistance elsewhere, but he's not interested. He just hides them away and pretends they aren't serious. I swear he needs to live in the real world.

It was my Moms birthday at the weekend, he asked if I could sign his name at the bottom of our card (I would normally do this, but he has his own family now, as he likes to tell us) (for my Moms sake) I bought him a couple of separate cards to choose from. He can afford to smoke, to drink, to eat out and to buy a new motorbike every month but can't afford to buy his Nan a birthday card.

It wasn't a particularly heated argument last night, but I think it's been a while coming and I just said to him 'you don't live here anymore, you don't pay rent, you've left us with your debt letters, leave and put your key on the side' .... he gave me some verbal back, I informed him he was 21 and that he no longer had a right to be there. He started f'ing and b'ing at me and I told my husband to call the police, warning my son that if the police came, it would be on his records and chances are he would lose his job.

My son tried to manipulate me again asking if I wanted a hug before he left. He knows exactly how to play me, and this is obvious. I said 'no'. He left his key on the ledge by the door and left. When he went he said "A lovely way to be dismissed from the family, ..... i'm sorry you wont be able to contact me".

I have often threatened to throw him out, but it's never actually come to anything, he's gone and come back a few hours later, not again, enough is enough. I feel awful. I feel like a failure as a Mom. I would do anything for him, but he has to learn - doesn't he?

Tough love (?) have I been too tough?
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Absolutely not! Sending you hugs, he's going to have to do a lot of growing up from now on in!
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    no!

In fact, it's way overdue.
  • Rachel83
    Rachel83 Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Post
    You haven't been too tough. You have made too many allowances in the past for his debts and paid them which probably hasn't taught him much. But time for him to stand on his own two feet.
    Hopefully it makes him shape up!
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Guys

Thank you for reading.

My son is 21. The last few years have been difficult, not majorly perhaps. No police involvement, no physical violence.

I love my son dearly, but it seems fairly obvious he does not love me.

He has borrowed money without asking, helps himself to things that aren't his, breaks them, takes them and only owns up when he is caught out, he then makes promises to replace/pay back but this never happens.

He works full time, but his time keeping is absolutely atrocious, he turns up to work about 45 minutes late every day without so much as an apology. He has now been given a first and final warning for constant lateness and for being caught making out with his girlfriend in the office at work. Regardless of this he is still late.

I was stupid enough to give him a sum of money a few years ago for driving lessons and he had money left him in his Grandads will. He has squandered the lot and has nothing to show for it. Although he lied for months saying he still had it.

I asked him to pay some rent, which I set at £30 pw, this covered everything, (he was eating steak everynight, as was in to the gym). Initially this was going ok, but then he decided that his room was a lot smaller than his mates, so without discussion he lowered his rent. (without any discussion) He has since decided he is never home, and spends his time as his girlfriends, which he does, so he has stopped his rent completely (again without discussion).

He has constantly over stepped boundaries, smoking in his room, coming home drunk, coming home in the early hours, banging the doors, throwing up etc etc, all the normal stuf.

About ten months ago he decided he was going to do his motorbike test, instead of doing the test he bought a brand new motorbike, that he didn't know how to use. It stood for months in the garden, whilst he tried to ride it. I nagged and nagged him to insure it, but this fell on deaf ears. Eventually the bike needed to be parked at the front of our house, so my son took his test, (failing the first) he passed second time. I purchased for my son Kevlar clothing, hoody, jeans and a chain lock for his bike. (My son doesn't expect to have to put any effort in to anything, hence being sent home from his first test!) A month or so later the bike was stolen in broad daylight. (My son accused me of putting someone up to it - of course i didn't). (His bike was not chain locked when it was stolen).

The bike was on HP, he had paid off very little, and didn't get what he wanted from the insurance. He did however, get a court fine which he has criticised, dismissed and hidden. (for the bike not being insured from the day of purchase) When questioned about it he has lied and said it was paid off. The letters start coming through the letter box. He totally ignores them. I find one of the letters and stupidly pay it for him, at first he's really grateful "thanks Mom you didn't need to do that" etc etc. We agreed he paid me back in instalments, £35 pm. I ask him for £35, he says he hasn't got it and that I shouldn't have paid the debt anyway, it was a 'stupid fine'. He has no intention of paying what he owes me. - Low and behold another letter comes, I hoped it was a receipt for what I had paid. (My son confirmed it was a thank you letter) He leaves the letter on his bed, and it says the payment could not be accepted, because it had been so long since it had been issued it had been passed on to an enforcement agency. Another lie.

I am unable to contact my son unless he is in a wifi area, because he hasn't paid his mobile phone bill.

In the background to this, since my sons bike has been stolen he has bought another 3 bikes, not knowing anything about them or the running of. The most recent one, he seized the engine, because he doesn't understand the need for 'oil'. Hence it was worth nothing. I thought he had moved on from the bike thing, but he lets it slip he's now getting another one. He buys bikes like other people buy petrol.

The letters keep coming through the door, but my son hasnt been living here for months, he has stopped his rent, and only appears once every couple of weeks. He has a girlfriend he has been with for just over a year, a nice girl, with a son. He has told her what an awful mother I am and how i have destroyed his life. She believes him.

On occassion my son returns home because he and his girlfriend have had a row, he then looks around the house for razors which he breaks into litte pieces and drags violently through his flesh on his thighs, this is another turn to option that he takes if I don't give him the answers that he wants or if we approach a topic of conversation that he does not like. I have entered his room in the morning unknowing that he has self harmed and there are puddles of blood on his bedroom floor. It's almost a manipulation thing, 'If I don't get my own way, I will scar myself for life'.

I can't do this anymore, he is breaking my heart and making me ill. We have arranged family counselling but he refuses to go.

Last night, he appeard at about 10:30, and started to cook himself tea in the kitchen as if he is there every night. He's returned because he doesnt want to be around his girlfriends son who has chicken pox. He never comes back to see us or enquire about how we are, it's all him, him, him.

I just flipped, he is one of those people that spends his money on what he wants. He has no bills to pay perse, but is still in debt up to his eye balls. Any letters that come for him now, I mark the envelope as 'gone away' I told him this. We aren't rich, but we make sure our bills are paid before anything else. We have offered to do budgeting plans with him and Ihave offered to refer him for assistance elsewhere, but he's not interested. he just hides them and pretends they aren't serious. I swear he needs to live in the real world.

It was my Moms birthday at the weekend, he asked if I could sign his name at the bottom of our card (I would normally do this, but he has his own family now, as he likes to tell us) (for my Moms sake) I bought him a couple of separate cards to choose from. He can afford to smoke, to drink, to eat out and to buy a new motorbike every month but can't afford to buy his Nan a birthday card.

It wasn't a particularly heated argument last night, but I think it's been a while coming and I just said to him 'you don't live here anymore, you don't pay rent, you've left us with your debt letters leave and put your key on the side' .... he gave me some verbal back, I informed him he was 21 and that he no longer had a right to be there. He started f'ing and b'ing at me and I told my husband to call the police, warning my son that if the police came, it would be on his records and chances are he would lose his job.

My son tried to manipulate me again asking if I wanted a hug before he left. He knows exactly how to play me, and this is obvious. I said 'no'. He left his key on the ledge by the door and left. When he went he said "A lovely way to be dismissed from the family, ..... i'm sorry you wont be able to contact me".

I love him, but can't take anymore. Tough love (?) have I been too tough?

He has been walking all over you, your husband, your home, your money, your hopes and your love for a very long time. Why did you keep protecting him from his own stupidity? Why did you keep footing his bills/debts? What did you believe you were achieving for him?

You are his mother not his friend and mothers teach, direct and enforce!

Stop breaking your heart over his arrogance, dislike, contempt, immorality and dishonesty and start protecting your own physical, mental and emotional health before you become the one with serious wellbeing issues.

As a matter of curiosity, what have been your husband's thoughts, feelings and attitudes while all this has been going on?
  • Ryanfuego
    Ryanfuego Posts: 20 Forumite
    No no nO! This story made me really sad but remember, whenever you put everything in your child and he's just demanding everything NOW! that's not right, every parent is trying to to the best for their children but in your case you have crossed border which have had a bad consequences. Just do your best to deal with him call him back to home and be more strict with him.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Very much the right decision.

One day he might grow up and understand what a selfish pig he was.

Contact the debt collector and give them his new address, or return them to sender.

I would also change the lock as he no doubt has another key.

It may feel sad to see him turn out like this, but he now needs to stand on his own two feet.

You need to start putting yourself first.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Change the locks - he might have a spare key at his girlfriends and try to walk back in when he feels like it.
    You've absolutely done the right thing, you've done everything you can to help him and he's taken it all for granted, hopefully without having you as a safety net he will learn to take responsibility for himself.
    But bear in mind it will probably get worse before it gets better - he might try to tug at your heartstrings or guilt trip you in to giving him money etc, don't let him.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hugs. We are not perfect, none of us. Hence none of us is a perfect parent. You had failings as a parent , the obvious one was not to control it far sooner, a few years back. What you done now is not your failing , it is the right thing to do. Please do not beat yourself up for the past. You learnt from it. What you done now is the best thing you could have done for him under circumstances. If you keep calm and steady attempts at contacting him on different opportunities so that he knows you still love him. If you look after yourself and your husband - it is good for children to know their parents manage their own lives well. Your relationship with him is likely to be fine once he reassessed his attitude. I feel for you so much , I suppose there is no greater hurt than feeling failure as a parent. Please forgive yourself for your failings in the past. At the end of the day he is a functioning member of society so you have not done that badly and I am sure he has many other positive traits you have not mentioned here because of the topic of this post. Who is to say he is not to become a wonderful compassionate man having a happy life. I am sure we all have things we done or said to our parents we are not proud of. May be not on this scale for most but it is all relative. Some would be worse. It is not binary - failure or success , black and white. You are understandably emotional now so you see one event (throwing him out) as a failure. But it is not. Be kind to yourself and hubby. Hugs.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • suzannewysiwyg
    suzannewysiwyg Posts: 112 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2017 at 9:59AM
    To Paddys Mom: I suppose I haven't really taken my husbands advice, and my husband has tried to keep out of it, as he knows I will throw it back at him. No more. My son was promised a loft conversion when we moved, but we were unable to finance this (due to a very expensive and lengthy court case concerning my daughter and her father). I suppose I was putting a lot of his behaviour down to hoping it was a teenage phase and making excuses for him because he is dyspraxic. I was hoping my son may re-appear at some point, but he hasn't, its been this arrogant, selfish man.

I have learnt now, it has taken a long time.

To Ryanfuego: I'm confused, how can I be 'strict' with a 21 year old adult, why should i 'call him back to home'? I don't have a magic wand, do you not think 've tried everything in my power?

To Justme111: Thank you for your response, yes he has many positive attributes, I would do anything for him, he is my world. But this has got to have been the hardest two years of my life so far. He was such a lovely person, and I see that love in him, when he is with his sister and his girlfriend and her son. Those attributes are still there, but he doesn't share them with me x
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    PS. Yes I would change the locks. No I would not have a blanket policy "no money to him". You will be able to see whether any help would be counterproductive or bridge building
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure