PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe for coleslaw

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My American friend always adds well drained crushed pineapple to hers which makes it extra lovely.
  • Cheese in it makes for a lovely sandwich filling on its own
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,563
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    I add red onion and I keep it dry till we use as DD likes mayo but I prefer vinaigrette
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,610
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Another fan here of red onion, a handful of sultanas and a lighter dressing.
  • I have some leftover cabbage in the fridge so I think I'll be making this later today to go with a cold tea (necessary in this weather)!

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I was saying at the weekend that I need to make some coleslaw so thank you for the reminder.
    I make mine with shredded cabbage (red, white or a mixture of the two), finely sliced onion and grated carrot. I then use roughly equal quantities of mayo and salad cream, a bit of lemon juice and a heap of black pepper to coat the veg.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Because the title of this thread kept popping up on the forum ...and not disappearing ....I've just had to make a s0ddin' coleslaw :)

And now I need to make a spud salad too ...
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,563
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    I ended up doing an Asian style one for lunch - with added julienned cucumber, cherry toms, green pepper, lime juice, cider vinegar, chilli and a bit of sugar. Very refreshing
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I usually make coleslaw with white cabbage, red cabbage, red onion and carrot. I then add raisins, cashew nuts, pine nuts and either salad cream or crème fraiche
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 June 2017 at 5:49PM
    My basic coleslaw is cabbage, carrot and onion with dressing of half mayo, half Greek yoghurt, splash of lemon juice, and a little grain mustard.
    Agree that grated cheese added makes it even better, and a super filling for a baked potato as well as sandwiches. Lovely done as a roasted cheese on toast too...I like the addition of a bit of garlic too.

Beetroot slaw is lovely but very pink! Use cooked beetroot or pickled beetroot diced, finely diced onion, shredded cabbage and mayo dressing.

Liking some of the suggestions made on here that I've not tried....but definitely will do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure