PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    monnagran wrote: »
    GQ: Some years ago I had a cottage next door to a farm. That year for Christmas my father got several enormous builders bags of well rotted manure. We had a gruesome, noisome journey on Christmas Day but it was well worth it. He nearly wept with delight. On Christmas afternoon we lolled around watching the Queen or reading our new books while Dad was happily shovelling manure in his kitchen garden.

x
    :D I can so empathise with that, I would have been ecstatic, too. They don't call it black gold for nothing, to us gardeners.

One year, due to chronic disorganisation, Mum and I were running a car boot stall on Mother's Day, and I hadn't got her a gift. I sent her off with some cash to buy something, thinking of the many plant stalls around.

She came back beaming from ear to ear holding an old wooden drawer brimful of misc screws, bolts etc. She was like a dog with two tails.

When we got home, we had a cuppa and turned the contents of the drawer out onto the newspaper-lined kitchen table and sat chatting and sorting them into categories.

She still talks about that drawer today, has got lots of use from the contents, but then again, we're both women who find Scr*w*x much more exciting than any kind of girly outlet.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • She came back beaming from ear to ear holding an old wooden drawer brimful of misc screws, bolts etc. She was like a dog with two tails.

You & your Mum are my kind of people, GQ! I have to be really fierce with myself when I see old toolboxes & little drawers full of carefully-sorted imperial screws, nuts & bolts going over the side into skips at the tip, as I'd rescue the lot. And there are so many good bits of furniture etc. I could rescue with them, as metric screws never quite fit and many are woefully badly-made. Not that I have any space to keep/rehab them in...

The tragedy is that many of these tools & fittings would be very, very useful out in the 3rd world, IF any of the charities had the money to get them out there. Instead of which, they're just going to be melted down and turned into second-rate cr&p for us to buy again and discard 3 months later...

Not in a good mood this morning! Watching one of my offspring make every mistake in the book (many of which we ourselves made, years ago, to be fair) and finding it very difficult to bite my tongue...
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • That's my new fact for the day.

I'd never realised there are imperial screws and metric screws....

Am guessing that all the ones I have are metric ones anyway.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    20 years ago I had a Saab 99GL, for which you'd obviously buy metric spanners. This was fine until one day I had to fit a new window winding mechanism. It turned out the UK supplied these to Saab, and the bolts were imperial. I had to go and buy a set of imperial spanners. :(
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jk0 wrote: »
    Yup, they're back. At least one was just now, crawling up my dishwasher. :(

This year I thought I'd be kind and slice it in half rather than apply salt.

!!!!!!: The head end kept on walking!

Even cut into quarters the head end kept walking! Salt did the trick. :)

Have you got kick plates under your units? If so lay a trail of salt behind them, job done, though perhaps check every so often for bodies :D
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Scottish weather forum talking about a possible huge storm for xmas eve/xmas day. Talking about 90mph winds and heavy snow up north, with the possibility of it moving further south to hit me.. as long as my roof stays on I'll be ok. (got pavlova in the freezer and am prepared to bravely force meself to eatit if it defrosts.)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Well ok. I'm bravely prepared to eatit frozen really..
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Oh mar, you're so brave!
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Is there only pavlova in your freezer Mar. If you are going to have to eat defrosting things you'd better lay in a stock........cheesecakes? gateaux? cream doughnuts? All very sustaining in times of stress.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) It's a tough job but someone's got to do it, Mar! I hope your skylight it anchored down tightly, didn't it end up in the garden one winter storm years ago?

Slugs are still pretty thin on the ground on my allotment, thanks to my take-no-prisoners attitude. I cringe at the thought of encountering any of the barstewards indoors, though.

I mean, I have several kilos of salt but I wouldn't want the liquidated carcases around the place. Luckily, Shoebox Towers is very much the concrete jungle and the most annoying pests here are walking around on two legs.

Hope really bad weather doesn't strike Scotlandshire. If it does, it better not get any further sarf than Watford, you know how badly we southern softies cope with the white stuff.:rotfl:

A pal up near Aberdeen was grousing about the warm temperatures as their lane is all over mud when it should be frozen up. He's the one who lost his van in a back garden snow drift one year - for FIVE WEEKS!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills