Important / Sticky Threads

Sparhawke
Sparhawke Posts: 1,420 Forumite
edited 2 March 2022 at 6:11PM in Techie Stuff
I have been asked to clean up some sticky threads on my boards, and it is something I have been meaning to get around to one my own for quite a while to be honest, nine stickied threads is a little much :p

So, without any gilding the lily or any further ado whatsoever...

Official MSE Fully Researched Guides:

Free Anti-virus Software

Free Mobile Anti-virus

From the Forum:

What Security do you use?

How to speed up a slow PC is less than one hour

How often do you back up?

Look here for wireless, file and printer sharing

Malware and spyware removal thread

Glossary of technical terms - Add your own (this is a very old thread and one of those threads that have not been updated sufficiently as newer terms come up, does anyone feel like going through it and making a thread with lots of updated terms in the first post? I will then replace it with the old one)

All free virus/malware scanners are here

Frequently Asked Questions - Techie Q&A's (This is another thread that could use a bit of TLC and updating if anyone feels up to the task)
"Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.

Comments

• dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 February 2014 at 1:20PM
    Remove all except

HOW TO SPEED UP A SLOW PC OR INFECTED PC. (a mini guide) by closed.

The others are pointless/outdated and a simple Google search will suffice to find relevant information.
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think there's a case for something like the sub-£300 laptops thread being sticky though (not that it was before). It's a common question people ask so having a thread at the top of the board with the latest bargains might be worth having?
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    dogmaryxx wrote: »
    Remove all except

HOW TO SPEED UP A SLOW PC OR INFECTED PC. (a mini guide) by closed.

The others are pointless/outdated and a simple Google search will suffice to find relevant information.

I totally agree.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Jivesinger wrote: »
    I think there's a case for something like the sub-£300 laptops thread being sticky though (not that it was before). It's a common question people ask so having a thread at the top of the board with the latest bargains might be worth having?
    I'd agree with you - if there was any evidence whatever that people actually ploughed their way through any laptop thread before asking their own question about which laptop to buy!

(+1 for closed, by the way.)
  • cheers for the cleanup!
    Let me Google that for you...
  • GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can this from SanDisk be made sticky to help people in the future.

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support. My name is Georgios G. and I am here to assist you.

I understand that you are inquiring why your flash drive shows as a fixed disk instead of removable media.

In mid-2013 SanDisk changed production of its USB Drives configured as fixed disk to meet a perceived certification requirement. SanDisk USB Drives with either removable or fixed disk configuration will work the same when used for data storage on Windows PC and Mac computers. SanDisk is in the process of reverting back to producing USB Drives configured as removable disk.

NOTE: There is no tool available to change SanDisk USB Drives between fixed and removable disk configuration.

should the drive is not working with WMP as you wish to, we recommend to returning it at place of purchase.

Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
    Let me Google that for you...
  • Geep
    Geep Posts: 87 Forumite
    This is a regular query, so here is a good source explaining what regular maintenance should be done. Suitable either for advanced or more basic users, it also offers advice on anti-malware solutions.

Go to windowssecrets.com then search for

Keep a healthy PC: A routine-maintenance guide
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    please can anyone help me with a real problem I am having with Microsoft?
    I logged on as usual to my Hotmail and once I put in my email address and password up came a message which said in order to keep the account more secure I would need a code from them. Fair enough I though Then it said my old email address to send me the code But I haven't used this email address for over 4 years at least and it was very hard to get through to them. I have felt very unwell to be honest this past few days and the frustration with this is driving me up the walls please can anyone help me. I am doing an online course with the Open University each Monday and have 2 weeks left of it to do. The message from Microsoft said I have 3 days left or I cannot get into my emails ...... I must have a code which I can't get ! madness
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • Geep
    Geep Posts: 87 Forumite
    Margaret,

I suspect it won't be from Microsoft at all! I'm not a user of Hotmail so can't really advise, and this isn't the right location anyway. I suggest you post your query on the Techie Stuff page, using the Forum Jump box below, and you should get some proper advice there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure