Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Comments

• Hi,

Sunday past I was due to fly from Dalaman to Manchester with Easy Jet at 23:20. Everyone was told there was a 1 hour delay when checking bag in. However was still showing as delayed close to original departure time, this then vanished for around 10 min, then cancelled flashed on the notice screens. Over half an hour later someone finally arrived to say we will be put in hotels. 3.30hr later the remaining passengers were told they have found a hotel for us all. would say we probably arrived close to 4am. Flight was arrange for the next day at 2pm. few issues with no boarding tickets has they took them of us the night before, though this was sorted after waiting around at check in desk. We did hear that the reason the flight was cancelled was due to smoke in the cockpit of the aircraft coming form manchester, they were diverted to venice. So my question is do I have a case to claim compensation?? I have taken the template later from this website and will be filling in and sending to easy jet. Anyone on same flight please update any progress if you have made a claim

thanks
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gleavesy wrote: »
    So my question is do I have a case to claim compensation?? I have taken the template later from this website and will be filling in and sending to easy jet

Yes you do have a claim and are proceeding correctly. EJ appear to be one of the better airlines (for most) when it comes to recognising obligations in respect of 261/2004.
  • Our Easyjet flight from Toulouse was delayed for 5 hours because of a bad weather delay in Pisa either 2 or 3 flights previously. Is there a limitation on how long the bad weather exemption can be used before it would be considered reasonable for the airline to have made other arrangements?
    (After 5 hours Easyjet offered the passengers a bottle of water, a packet of crisps, and a food voucher for €4.50. However the food stall in the departure lounge refused to accept the vouchers because they claimed their contract with Easyjet only obliged them to supply a sandwich and they had run out of sandwiches. :T)
  • 111KAB
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Westwinds3 wrote: »
    Is there a limitation on how long the bad weather exemption can be used before it would be considered reasonable for the airline to have made other arrangements?

You need to research the flight paths etc to see when your particular plane was effected however 2 or 3 flights previous is excessive (but 261/2004 not specific in this respect) - use Flightstats for a start. If all of this sounds onerous (and it can be) then consider approaching a NWNF to see if they will take on.
  • dxc_chappie
    dxc_chappie Posts: 175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    111KAB wrote: »
    You need to research the flight paths etc to see when your particular plane was effected however 2 or 3 flights previous is excessive (but 261/2004 not specific in this respect) - use Flightstats for a start. If all of this sounds onerous (and it can be) then consider approaching a NWNF to see if they will take on.

Regulation 261/2004 is specific about ECs from the weather in preamble para 14:

(14) As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on operating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier.

However, the airline's definition of a "flight" is most likely different from passengers in that the airline will consider multiple hops as one flight. I think this is the argument the OP will face, but it's a weak one.

Time to send an NBA and start court proceedings!
  • I wrote to Easyjet as suggested requesting compensation for a 5.5 hour delay from Lyon to Gatwick in August 2012 and they sent this reply:

Thank you for contacting us.
    I am very sorry to hear that your recent flight was delayed.

As it was already mentioned by my colleague, when your flight is delayed for more than one hour beyond its scheduled departure time, if you do not wish to travel on the delayed flight you can choose a free re-route on the next available EasyJet flight or you can cancel your seat and receive a credit for future flights with us. According to European Law (EC Regulation 261/2004), you may be entitled to compensation if your flight was cancelled or you were not allowed to board your flight. Compensation does not apply to delays, as was the case with your flight.

In addition, the reason for the delay was technical, which was confirmed by the airport, and it is classed under European Law as an 'extraordinary circumstance' outside our reasonable control. For all these reasons, I'm afraid we cannot offer you any compensation. I apologise again for the inconvenience caused and I understand how frustrating it must have been for you. I hope that this event will not deter you from using our services in the future.

In fact, when we did eventually take off, our pilot announced that he had arrived on time but the plane had been diverted to take people to Rome as they had been waiting longer. So he went to Rome and back before taking us to Gatwick.

I would like to take this further. Am I right in thinking that as we were flying from Lyon (EU) to Gatwick (UK) on an Easyjet flight (UK registered), I need to contact the regulator in the departure country i.e. France? Any help gratefully received.
  • 111KAB
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Compensation does not apply to delays, ..... total lie - that is exactly what 261/2004 covers!!!!!! Whoever wrote this is a nutter. You have a valid claim - contacting the French regulator will really be of little or any help. Normally the suggestion would be to go straight to court however EJ have got this so wrong it may be worth just contacting them again as it would appear the letter has been written by someone with less than zero knowledge re the matter. Make sure you keep a copy in case the matter does go to court ... the Judge should find their reply amusing to say the least.

I also cannot see why the airport were confirming a technical problem with the plane.
  • Hi folks, can anyone advise me please. We have just returned from Turkey following a Flight Cancellation and a 15hr delay. When we arrived at the Airport (Dalaman) our flight was shown as delayed, then shortly after it changed to cancelled. Apparently it was due to a fire on the outbound flight which was diverted to Venice. We were given a Voucher for £3.00 to get refreshments which actually was a bottle of Fanta, Coke, or two bottles of water (all small bottles). We were eventually taken to a hotel at 04.30am and returned to the airport at 11.00am. Our replacement flight left at 3.00pm and the flight had limited food available - snacks only. Can anyone advise me if we stand any chance of a claim? I've heard so many conflicting stories and advice, I'm not too sure. Thanks folks. ;)
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can anyone advise me if we stand any chance of a claim? I've heard so many conflicting stories and advice, I'm not too sure.

If you read the FAQs on here, that is about as definitive as you will get - even if you pay for advice (by using a no win no fee firm).
  • All flights Easyjet

Original Trip plans:
    Fly from Liverpool to Naples
    Stay in Naples for two nights
    Fly from Naples to Milan
    Stay in Milan for one night
    Train to Geneva
    Fly back to Liverpool from Geneva

The flight from Naples to Liverpool was cancelled.
    Easyjet rerouted me and the new plans were

Fly from Liverpool to Paris
    Stay in Parisfor two nights
    Fly from Paris to Milan
    Stay in Milan for one night
    Train to Geneva
    Fly back to Liverpool from Geneva

I lost the money for the non refundable hotel in Naples, the money paid for a ticket to a football match and the a day trip to Pompeii.
    I also had to pay for the new two night accommodation in Paris.

Surely I have reason to claim at least something, can anyone give some advice?

Ross
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure