Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    adindas wrote: »
    Similar case with credit increase:

I have two credittcards with santanders

The first which I got more than a year ago is about £7000

The second one is Santander zero with fee free cash withdrawal abroad which I have had it for about seven year with the limit of £ 500.

I wanted to cancel the fist one as I do not need it anymore.
    I have read somewhere else that with Santander, when you have two credit cards with them and you cancel one, you could ask them to increase the limit of the other card which you still have (e.g the second one.

I wonder how common is the policy ? What to say in case you wanted to do that to increase the chance to be approved ?

Thanks
    The best approach is to ask them to shuffle limits over, leaving just £500 or whatever on the one you want to close...then close it when you've verified the limit has been swapped over.

With a bit of luck you won't have a £500 limit card shown on your credit file...no guarantees though!
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    I didn't do anything but got a letter saying it's increased from £8k to £8.5k

Can I ask now to increase a little more than that or better to wait?

Maybe next year after good credit history I could ask?
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you really need that high of a limit. Asking to increase it after they have done so looks like your desperate
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    6 months ?

then ask for an increase
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    vacheron wrote: »
    Many cards with online management will have an option to request an credit limit increase through their website. That will tell you when you apply if you have been rejected because of any mandatory time limit which is required so you'll know when to try again.

However if the card is with Sainsburys expect to be rejected regardless, then wait about 1-2 months and then they will decide to offer you the same credit limit increase "out of the blue" in the post. This has happened to me 3 times since I received mine!
    Well just asked for an increase with Sainsburys, so know what to expect now. Maybe I should have applied for the increase a few months ago :rotfl:. The website says a request can happen once an account has been open 6 months, I'd assumed 1 year so haven't tried before.

Regarding Santander, I have had a Zero card for 6 years and got an Everyday card earlier this year. Did query whether I could reduce the Zero card by an amount and increase the everyday card by the same - they said no, though I could increase the Zero card if I wanted. Maybe they are getting wise to me heavily using 0% periods and paying it off once that is ending.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Perhaps when seeking concessions from Santander you should expect the Spanish inquisition? ;)

Their weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless [in]efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the terms and conditions....

otherwise known as w*****s.
    I think I can safely say they are the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to have to deal with. I used to hold 4 different accounts with Abbey national which were taken over by Santander.
    Only our mortgage survives and that is because in 20 odd years I have never had to speak with anyone about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure