PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 June 2017 at 10:28AM
    :) When the general election was called so unexpectedly, my first thought was that it was a covert gambit to lose and thus derail brexit. That thought quickly passed as I, like fuddle, think losing isn't in that woman's nature and it was hubris; she genuinely thought she was going to increase her party's majority to steamroller levels.

I'm presently reading some of the earliest posts from the Archdruid Report, which is being taken down at the end of this month, and this stuff will only be available in JMG's books. I'm sad about that and am going to see what I can take from this resource while I can.

For those who don't follow that blog, which has been running since 2006, it has some very salient things to say about what life is going to be like on the other side of the Oil Age, and about many other things, and has much to reflect upon which is of relevence to the preptastic sphere.

We have been living in a very blessed and comfortable age, one which we have, like goldfish in a bowl, come to regard as the norm. Imagining life as it would have been lived by persons only 2-3 generations ago is becoming increasingly difficult, but going back to ease the way going forward is, I think, something the smarter person especially the smarter parent, will want to do.

I did a quick calculation and I'm the only the 5th generation of my family since the birth of the ancestor (distaff side) who left Dorset for Lunnon Town. And their birth exactly 200 years ago this year. Makes you think, hey?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Whatever happens politically I think the time has come for us each to look at our lives and do whatever we can to future proof them in all areas! The world has never been a 'given place' but I just feel that we reached the peak of what we're likely to achieve as a race a while ago and from here on in it's a downhill slope, all we can do is make sure we've got as good a set of brakes in our lives as we can create.
    I think it's cyclical, to be honest, but I agree that right now we're headed on a downwards path. I think of Ancient Egypt - it lasted for 3,000 years, y'know, but halfway through that lot, it actually collapsed completely, for maybe 100 years - and I'm sure it felt like the end of the world to them.
    I'm currently de cluttering like mad, it's surprising how effective emptying a cupboard/drawer of 'treasures' is when you leave them on display for a couple of days and can then realise that there are very few of them that you actually want to keep.
    I :heart: this! It's what I'm having to do right now with this smelly cupboard, after washing the cupboard - clean and dry everything, and leave it out a couple of days to make *sure* it's dry.
    all the bigger pans and extra crockery and cutlery that I've been keeping for 'when the family comes' will be offered to them and if they don't need , into the boot fair pile it shall go. It's a source of amazement to me just how much I've accumulated over the past 24 years since we came here and I'm certainly NOT going to drag it all with us when we move again now!!!
    That makes me think of The Mandibles, which I've just read for the first time - 3 generations of extended family, all once very rich, end up under the same roof :eek:
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) When the general election was called so unexpectedly, my first thought was that it was a covert gambit to lose and thus derail brexit. That thought quickly passed as I, like fuddle, think losing isn't in that woman's nature and it was hubris; she genuinely thought she was going to increase her party's majority to steamroller levels.
    Covert TM motives hadn't occurred to me, I have to say :o and with what we've learned about her this week, she kind of seems incapable of them. But she *must* be capable - she's a high level politician, not an outside like Trump. Don't know though, you'd never guess it from her appalling choices.
    I'm presently reading some of the earliest posts from the Archdruid Report, which is being taken down at the end of this month, and this stuff will only be available in JMG's books. I'm sad about that and am going to see what I can take from this resource while I can.
    :eek: thanks for that - I've never got as into that as I should have :eek:
    We have been living in a very blessed and comfortable age, one which we have, like goldfish in a bowl, come to regard as the norm. Imagining life as it would have been lived by persons only 2-3 generations ago is becoming increasingly difficult, but going back to ease the way going forward is, I think, something the smarter person especially the smarter parent, will want to do.
    True. And financially, I think we're a long way past the peak. My mum died aged 90 at the end of last year, as you guys may remember - she got early retirement as a teacher at age 58, with a lump sum and an index linked pension, and had 30 years of good health (8 of which were spent nursing my dad, yes, but that still leaves 22 years as a gadabout :) If I get to that age, with the erosion of the state, I can imagine my sister and I will have to join forces to cope with old age, with my brother too if he makes it.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • I read "The Mandibles" recently - having seen it mentioned on here. The grandpa generation was rich - but the ones beneath him werent (one comfortable and one poor anyway) - but it was a depressing read. Not just financially - but culturally - ie watching the American language changing from default English to default Spanish. That was followed shortly after that by a very brief chat I had ITRW to an American tourist here that said he is noticing the default language changing from English to Spanish in his part of the USA.

Then I saw "The Handmaids Tale" mentioned on here - and am duly watching it at the moment on tv. Now that is very depressing - watching this American woman going from "normal life - as a person" to "slave life - as a woman". Though I'll admit to wondering if that "bath before the first rape episode" was going to end in her just putting her head under the water and that was that. But I guess the character has carried on living because of her hope to find her kidnapped daughter...

No spoilers please - as I'm hoping America returns to normal - or, at the least hers does....
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It was me that mentioned it most recently, money - and the first thing you did was reference the ending (not in detail)! I didn't object at the time, because I know we don't really have an understanding on here about spoilers, and it *had* been mentioned before. So yes, spoilers aren't popular - if they're insisted upon, they should be very clearly marked as such. You're actually "spoiling" The Handmaid's Tale in your post, y'know? I haven't read or seen it yet.

But for the record, I didn't find The Mandibles depressing!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • The Handmaid's Tale is compulsive viewing in this house! Both frightening and scarily real in equal measure. I keep thinking 'surely not' - but I can see how it could be very real one day.
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • I read the book many years ago and along with Aldous Huxleys 'Brave New World' it caused me to think!!!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2017 at 12:45PM
    Must admit I definitely did - ie find The Mandibles thoroughly depressing - ie the thought of losing normal life and/or losing one's "normal (ie softer) self" to a much harsher "self".

The one thing The Handmaids Tale does do - and some of my "nervous peaks" at recent changes in my own society is think "There are some blessings to getting older - as a woman I'm now obviously past 'fertile age' thankfully". Gotta be some bonuses to having reached "the age of invisibility":rotfl:

In a very different direction - I'm watching "The Summer of Love" on BBC4 at the moment. I was a teenager at the time of that - but do remember that and the influence it had on society. I shall be interested to watch how it all gets summed up, in hindsight, by the now elderly participants in it (indeed between thinking "They must have lived hard then - looking at how old most of them look now").
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 June 2017 at 4:24PM
    Thank you pollyanna,, what a helpful post :T I'll have a think about asking the GP if I can try the one you mentioned, though she may be reluctant as it's probably more expensive and I know the local GP practices are watched like a hawk by the local CCQ for any sign of what they consider overspending on medicine budgets. I think it's the CCQ anyway, It's all a bit confusing. There are quite a lot of items they've been told they mustn't prescribe any more because they can be bought over the counter.

Grey Queen Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but it's good to know you'll soon be feeling a lot better :)

Thanks to frosty and other people who mentioned wheat, too. It sounds as if it would be worth a try!

ETA sorry, I think it's actually CQC, not CCQ.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ivyleaf Among a number of reasons dd was switched to the gastro- resistant drug was the fact that she has 12- 14 different meds a month .
    If you feel the omoperozole is causing discomfort re heartburn or other digestive problems the alternative is recommended by NICE .
    It cushions the meds so worth a try .
    Good luck
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks pollyanna - I seem to feel ok on the omeprazole provided I take the larger dose, it's just the hair loss issue that's a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure