PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    monnagran wrote: »
    Talking of tarted-up junk, I passed a shop the other day that dealt in it I looked at various items with eye-watering price tags attached and imagined my grandmother sniffing at it and opining that it would be all right given a coat of paint and some decent handles.
    Shabby Chic would have appalled her. She didn't do shabby.
    :) I'm pretty disgusted at the watery emulsion being slathered over perfectly blameless pieces of brown furniture which are then offered here as shabby chic. They're letting just about anyone buy paintbrushes these days, have you noticed?!

Nope, done badly, it sure as hell ain't chic. I was at the dentist last month and browsing one of those posh decor mags and they had wallpaper printed to replicate battered brick walls, peeling mouldy plaster and other unsavoury-looking surfaces.

So's you can spend a fortune to have your living quarters look like a squat or a derelict factory. Only the over-privileged are likely to think that's a good look, hey?:rotfl:

Ahh, buttons. Two old biscuit tins of buttons were inherited from Nan's. I had a quick paw-thru and they were very boring ones, such as mostly off men's clothes. I suggested Mum let me freegle them and they were asked-for within minutes.

One day, part of mine and Kid Bruv's inheritance will be approx 15 kg of buttons, currently housed in a variety of tins and coffee cans (I have collated them all into a single crate in Mum's Bedroom Cupboard of Doom and they are sorted by colour).

I would like to winnow the hoard of ones which most definately won't be used but suspect strong resistance to the very idea plus, frankly, there are much bigger fish to fry. I shall reserve my energies for those.

My workweek has brought several more examples to light of the absolutely enormous hideous problems caused by going into one's later years encumbered by TOO MUCH.

Too much as in too big a home and garden. Homes big and small alike can be vastly encumbered by having too much stuff, stored too erratically, becoming insanitary, attracting rats and insects indoors......... I could (but won't) tell you things which would curl your hair and cause you to regurgitate your breakfasts.

To someone who is past the mid-point of her own life, and free-wheeling gently downhill (if one can freewheel gently whilst yelling along to heavy rock tracks :o) it's a constant reminder of the importance of living an uncluttered life.

silvasava, I so agree about the salad drawers. My fridge has one large trough-like one. It's impractical, doesn't run smoothly, and the contents become jumbled. Unless one is storing just cylindrical things like leeks, veggies are apt to stick up above the plimsoll line and foul the glass shelf above it, too. I detest it with a passion.

I will look for some small baskets, ideally secondhand (don't like to encourage the creation of more plastics by buying new plastic items) so that things can be held together by type. I did get a plastic basket out of the undersink cupboard and re-deploy its contents, but I could do with a few more.

:p I'm planning on spending an hour or two at the junk shop after w*rk today. Who knows what I might get my paws into over there.........? If it's amusing, I'll be sure to share.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    The talk of plastic baskets & fridges has encouraged me to investigate coralling stuff in our fridge. I also need to try & purchase a new salad drawer as it is now cracked in too many places to be useful (probably down to the shocking habit of nudging it shut with ones foot :whistle:). I will sort it when back from the SM shop later.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    :) You might be able to get a new-to-you salad drawer off an otherwise defunct fridge from freegle or the tip. I've thought if mine ever died the death, I'd try that route.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) You might be able to get a new-to-you salad drawer off an otherwise defunct fridge from freegle or the tip. I've thought if mine ever died the death, I'd try that route.

I have tried, but it fits around the compressor so is a sort of odd P-shape :(
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    :( That's going to be almost impossible to source as a used item. Shame.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    monnagran wrote: »
    Which reminds me, Silvasava, I was amused by your dedication to using up your cotton reels. I have a drawer full. Not only mine but those inherited from my mother ...
    Oh, there's a thought! I'm hopefully going to my mother's house to finish off the probate work in about 10 days, and her patchwork stash is so far almost untouched. At the very least, I could rehome her cotton reels between my sister, my SiL and I ...
    I'm planning on spending an hour or two at the junk shop after w*rk today. Who knows what I might get my paws into over there.........? If it's amusing, I'll be sure to share.
    I was thinking of you yesterday, GQ - at the Antiques Roadshow :p I went along for the experience, its not something I ever watched even when I had a TV licence, but I took along a mug I was given from an artisan pottery place, very small "edition" ... it was valued at over £100 :eek: a single mug :eek:

Discussed with my sister, and she had the idea of writing out the history and the photographic proof - if we keep stuff, it's the history that often makes it *worth* keeping.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The large filing box from my work office has gone! More space to move and less visual clutter, what's not to love?

I'm organising dd2's birthday party; she's inviting 5 friends from school. She was allowed 6 (because she turned 6), but only wanted 5. We made the invites ourselves, it'll be this Wednesday, straight after school. We'll hopefully be in the garden, have homebaked pancakes, play a few games, slay a piñata (I have a homemade one in the attic - it was the spare one I made last year for dd1's birthday party), and at 14.00 it's finished. Short and sweet.

I've put a few grown-from-seed courgette plants in the flower beds, I've put a few grown-from-bulb dahlia plants in same flower beds :) Kondoed lots of dandelions and ragwort, cut down the bits of grapevine that are entering neighbours' garden. They kindly let us use the metal fence in between our houses for grapevine support, and they have been told they can pick any grapes they fancy, but I'd like to not intrude too much on their garden and have the vine just on our side.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Many years ago we had a fabulous old grapevine in our greenhouse. The greenhouse had dwarf walls and the rest of it was wood and glass. Sadly Dad went home one lunchtime and discovered the weight of the vine had caused the greenhouse to slide off the dwarf walls, so that was the end of the gorgeous grapes we used to devour.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have managed to empty two large cardboard boxes :j but have had to put some of the contents (labelled) into a perspex lidded box and have two small boxes for a dd to either take home or throw out if she comes round at the weekend.

Having to sit down in between sorting and emptying boxes as knees are stiff and I get easily tired. Hoping to sort out more boxes this afternoon.

Have stripped two double beds and a day bed and have the bedding in the wash so feel I have made a good start. Unfortunately it keeps raining heavily for a very short period at a time so I have to keep dashing outside. At this rate I might have to use the dri buddy or even the tumble drier :o rather than having damp washing hanging around.

Might have all three spare bedrooms used for Saturday night if family stay over.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Still gloomy, as sorting hasn't got as far as sorting out a new bulb for it, but I've done enough shopping for a while, can't abide the habit.

Yeah, I had to replace the fridge bulb when I moved in here nearly 2 years ago. And find storage space for the other bulb as they're sold in pairs :rotfl:
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure