Looking for advice on PT courses.

Hello everyone,

I am new here and have been looking everywhere online for a place to give me advice on where to start and what is the best option based on experience, sadly most places I found were outdated.

I would like to become a personal trainer and start working within the field, now I know it is a super competitive field and it will be up to you to build your clients etc. However as someone who loves bodybuilding and going to the gym, this is an amazing option. On top of that as someone who is working in the NHS as receptionist/admin for a while and earn as little as £500 a month (while stuck living with parents), I'd rather do something I enjoy doing and earn that much than something I am not enjoying and killing myself daily.

All I found online is over-priced courses, some of them are even self studies and you only show up for the assessment/tests. On top of that, when I ask them for advice I feel like they are pushy to get me to sign up. So I decided to look around and ask for help than jump into something I know nothing about. Another option is to take a loan / student loan or pay in installment as I am always broke with my current job.

So please do share your thoughts / experiences and I apologize for the long wall of text.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    like you, a few years ago (well, about 10 now actually) i was tempted. I loved to train (still do), heard great things about earning "£40 an hour+" blah blah, whats not to like? earning great money, and doing something i love

I started with Future fit, diploma in personal training, it was a good all encompassing course, but i was tied in. I think these courses have a high drop out rate, so they make it very hard to quit once you start, they will get their money.

Most of the material I already knew through personal learning, so would have been easyish to pass. I had given up a career in accounting for this

It was about the time of the credit crunch, lots of talk about personal budgets being squeezed etc.. I sat back. Realistically, would people pay £40 an hour for my services? Maybe central london, not where i lived, most gyms advertised at £25-£30 an hour at their charge out rate, the trainers got less than this. The next thought, to make this a livable career, i would need clients at least 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week

Say 5 hours a day, at £25, £125 a day - £625 a week, or £32.5k a year - a pretty average salary, and thats IF i could get 25 hours a week of clients, 52 weeks a year, bearing in mind there are lots of people in gyms up and down the country with the same idea

I canned the idea, went back to Accountancy. For me, it didn't seem a realistic career choice. I'm not wanting to put you off, but once you start the course, you're paying for it, probably to the tune of £3-5k, and do you really think you can get the client base? I think you should really do your homework before you throw yourself into it. Im not saying dont, its up to you, just make sure you have looked into the local market, what the gyms offer, and whether you can really make a go of it
  • Carl31 wrote: »
    like you, a few years ago (well, about 10 now actually) i was tempted. I loved to train (still do), heard great things about earning "£40 an hour+" blah blah, whats not to like? earning great money, and doing something i love

I started with Future fit, diploma in personal training, it was a good all encompassing course, but i was tied in. I think these courses have a high drop out rate, so they make it very hard to quit once you start, they will get their money.

Most of the material I already knew through personal learning, so would have been easyish to pass. I had given up a career in accounting for this

It was about the time of the credit crunch, lots of talk about personal budgets being squeezed etc.. I sat back. Realistically, would people pay £40 an hour for my services? Maybe central london, not where i lived, most gyms advertised at £25-£30 an hour at their charge out rate, the trainers got less than this. The next thought, to make this a livable career, i would need clients at least 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week

Say 5 hours a day, at £25, £125 a day - £625 a week, or £32.5k a year - a pretty average salary, and thats IF i could get 25 hours a week of clients, 52 weeks a year, bearing in mind there are lots of people in gyms up and down the country with the same idea

I canned the idea, went back to Accountancy. For me, it didn't seem a realistic career choice. I'm not wanting to put you off, but once you start the course, you're paying for it, probably to the tune of £3-5k, and do you really think you can get the client base? I think you should really do your homework before you throw yourself into it. Im not saying dont, its up to you, just make sure you have looked into the local market, what the gyms offer, and whether you can really make a go of it

Thank you so much for your honest opinion. However I think few points are a little outdated, for example the course prices went down so much, you can get a course as little as £900 or less for the qualifications, but you will need to self study at home and you only go to the assessment center for multiple choice tests and thats all, however as you mentioned... its about finding a gym, building your own clients etc. also the charging rate of each gym so you might end up with say £20 or less per session, which for me still is much better than what I make right now.

I would love to hear more stories, perhaps a successful one or to those who tried it.

- Archer
  • Depends what you want out of a career. Yes the average accountant might earn more, but would you want to be living your working life looking at numbers in spreadsheets or in the gym?

I know which one I would go for.
  • Ader1
    Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
    How about doing what you said ie PT and also running a few classes with a number of people participating such as spinning classes. I know someone who used to work with me in a dairy factory years ago and now runs spinning classes in the swimming pool. And how about a circuit training class? Must be other types of classes you could do. I used to love going to a circuit training class around 20 years ago. Spent most of the time ogling the physique of the lady taking the class. :-)
  • AirJoe
    AirJoe Posts: 62 Forumite
    What Carl31 said is all true. It's a tough industry and you are very unlikely to make big bucks but it can also be hugely rewarding.

If you want to work in a large gym then it helps to have a qualification from one of the bigger trainers, such as YMCA or Premier (I used Premier). It will cost a few grand for one of those courses and entail more than just a multiple choice questionnaire to pass but they WILL pass you, though they may have to coach and retest you a few times.

You could also consider doing at home PTing or outdoors PTing at a public park. You'll get to keep all the money but you will have some transport and equipment costs. That said a few hundred quid invested in a kettlebells, medicine balls, boxing gloves and pads, skipping rope, battling rope, bulgarian bags etc will pay for itself and is all equipment you can use yourself too. You'll also need to invest in marketing yourself (a good website, business cards left with local companies etc) but, to be honest, every PT should be doing that one way or another.

The other advantage of private work is that Joe Public has no idea who PT training providers are. They just know that Level 3 is better than Level 2 so you can go for the cheapest option. You'll still need to know your stuff though because, as a gym based bodybuilder, you'll find park/home based training with minimal equipment is a very different prospect. I personally love it though!

I don't know what area you are in but, if there is no one else doing it, then a well run boot camp in a public park can be a good option too. If you're competing with British Military Fitness then it's likely to be harder but if they don't have a presence in your area it could be an option to explore or expand into.

They key to workouts outside the gym will be having a depth of knowledge of exercises that can be done with limited equipment. Anyone can prescribe a workout with a well equipped gym but it's harder to do come up with variation and balance when all you've got is a park bench and a medicine ball (there is tons you can do with those though).

Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport