Applying BAL WP1 to Knauf Aquapanel

I've read a few threads about the WP1 Shower Tanking kit and I want to use it when I refit my bathroom next month.

I intend on using Knauf Aquapanel, tank and then apply tiles.

I have been reading the Bal data sheet...

http://194.223.92.131/pdf/Technical%20Data%20Sheets/B%20&%20C%20Technical%20Data%20Sheets/Bal_WP1_Tanking_System.pdf

And this suggests that for tile backer board you need to

"Apply a skim coat of a BAL cement-based adhesive modified with BAL-ADMIX AD1, prior to tanking. For wall areas BAL-GRIP may be used. Allow adhesive to dry."

I am slightly disappointed as I thought the kit would contain everything I required.

I guess I should follow what the data sheet tells me, I am interested to understand if anybody has just used the primer and WP1 on Aquapanel without doing the step in the data sheet?

Comments

• BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • ozskin
    ozskin Posts: 451 Forumite
    aqua panel is a pain to cut it crumbles, try hardi backer instead, it scores and snaps like plaster board, v similar cost. bal also pain in butt to use try biscem tanking kit, flexible and will cope with substrate movement, comes with tape and flanges for the pipes and rollers on like a thick paint, 2 coats its a dodle to use and should be cheaper than bal, then again what isnt
  • Thanks gents. Bob thanks for the link I read that thread before, its very good.

I shall have a look at the biscem tanking kit.
  • I have just fitted Aquapanel in my bathroom and am confused as to how to continue. I have already bought the BAL WP1 tanking kit otherwise I would have been interested in ozskin's idea. The WP1 kit as supplied is designed for applying to plasterboard. Yesterday the BAL technical helpline told me that for a tile backer board like Aquapanel I needed to skim with adhesive before applying the primer. He said BAL White Star (which I've already bought) was fine but now I see from your link that BAL are specifying that only a cement based adhesive should be used. He also didn't mention using an additive. So tomorrow I will be calling the helpline again. If I get any further info I will post it here.
    BTW I had no problem cutting the Aquapanel and a jigsaw cuts shapes easily too.
  • Thanks for the post that is very useful information. In reading the statement in the data sheet I wonder if you can just use BAL-GRIP, it says that can be used for wall areas and the BAL website doesn't say this is compatible with ADMIX AD1 additive, so I assume they mean to use this standalone.
  • I have sent a message to the gent who posted the guide in the link that Bob posted. He is going to have a look at the data sheet as it sounds like they may have revised the instructions since he wrote the guide.

I'll feedback if he sends me any replies.
  • Phoned BAL technical support again and they assured me that White Star ready mixed adhesive is fine to skim Aquapanel with. He repeated that the primer will not adhere properly to the Aquapanel without the adhesive skim first. BTW if I had not already bought the tanking kit, I would not bother to use it. By what I've learnt recently, in a domestic situation the tiles can be fixed directly to the Aquapanel. The important thing is to use a top quality grout such as BAL Microflex.
  • Thanks for the reply, I am currently looking at the Dunlop range which I notice is also made by the same people as BAL.

I've sent an email to the technical support to enquire if these need any special primers for tile backer boards.
  • tododo
    tododo Posts: 131 Forumite
    I am also planning on getting aquapanel with the wp1 waterproofing kit

Was going to follow the guide as on here to do the shower

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/building_a_shower.htm

Also thinking of getting the dunlop stuff as the guide is supposed to be a bit simpler to follow
  • tododo - the point at issue is whether or not you should apply the BAL APD primer directly to the Aquapanel. Ultimate handyman and others say yes but BAL definitely says you must skim with adhesive before applying the primer. Skimming should not be a problem anyway because you don't require a perfect finish. Dunlop and BAL are the same company so their tanking kits are probably the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure