Theme Park Tips

Comments

• This is some really great information and a great discussion in general - people have raised some really interesting points. What does everyone thing about the future of the theme park in general?

I remember when I was much, much younger, the allure of a theme-park was impossibly difficult to resist. Do kids today feel the same way about these things with such ready access to video games and other forms of quick-hit entertainment?
    I love adventures. Unfortunately, I don't get to go on them nearly enough. My simple solution? - To indulge in the digital artefacts of the adventures of others. Feel free to indulge in them with me.
    pinterest - pinterest.com/jetsetterjoe/
    twitter - @jetsetterjoe7
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Once we'd been to Florida my kids weren't interested in UK theme parks. Some of the newer rides in the UK parks may compare with the ones in the US but the whole theme park experience here leaves much to be desired ! Food, cleanliness, staff attitude, facilities here are dreadful.

I once (many years ago)took my daughter and my MIL to Flamingoland, we entered a cafe at 10.55 am, went to the counter to order a cup of tea for my MIL and was abruptly told "we don't open until 11" Customer service at it's best. The litter fairy had also paid the park a visit on the day we went, i've never seen so much rubbish.

I think kids these days still like the experience of the theme parks. But i also think parents dread the thought of paying to get them there !

It's not a cheap day out, with the prices they charge i think a bit more effort would make people feel that they're good value for money. A family ticket for 2 adults and 3 kids to Alton Towers in the school holidays is a massive £146 ! That's without travel there and back and food or drinks.
  • Thanks for that insight! - Not having kids myself, it's difficult to assess these things.

Flamingoland looks interesting - I've never heard of it before. Tea and litter aside, was it a worthwhile experience?
    I love adventures. Unfortunately, I don't get to go on them nearly enough. My simple solution? - To indulge in the digital artefacts of the adventures of others. Feel free to indulge in them with me.
    pinterest - pinterest.com/jetsetterjoe/
    twitter - @jetsetterjoe7
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Thanks for that insight! - Not having kids myself, it's difficult to assess these things.

Flamingoland looks interesting - I've never heard of it before. Tea and litter aside, was it a worthwhile experience?

We live near Leeds so Mingoland (as my daughter used to call it when she was small) isn't too far away. We've not been for years, i've never felt the urge to go again, we're off to Florida again next year for the 5th time. It's really popular though so i suppose it must be ok.

I prefer Lightwater Valley, again, close to us, not as many big rides as Mingoland but a bit better looked after.

If you've never been to Florida, and plan to go at some stage, i'd suggest visiting all the UK theme parks before you go. In my experience nothing can compare to the parks in the US, not just the rides, the whole experience. It's not just the weather either as a lot of the really good rides in Florida are indoors.
  • Thanks for the great advice! I love the theme park but hate the lengthy queues, one thing me and my fiancee do is go single riders to speed up the queuing time. Obviously I know not everyone can do that but it saves some major time on queuing too. Thanks again :)
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Another tip to avoid queing for the popular rides is to go into the 'single rider' que.

My 2 boys went on Oblivion (Alton Towers) 11 times one after another during October half term. Sometimes they didn't sit together, sometimes they did but they didn't mind either way!

We also take a packed lunch, pay for a locker (cheaper than buying food) and then eat it in the park.

Lou
  • mew
    mew Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    We live near Leeds so Mingoland (as my daughter used to call it when she was small) isn't too far away. We've not been for years, i've never felt the urge to go again, we're off to Florida again next year for the 5th time. It's really popular though so i suppose it must be ok.

I prefer Lightwater Valley, again, close to us, not as many big rides as Mingoland but a bit better looked after.

If you've never been to Florida, and plan to go at some stage, i'd suggest visiting all the UK theme parks before you go. In my experience nothing can compare to the parks in the US, not just the rides, the whole experience. It's not just the weather either as a lot of the really good rides in Florida are indoors.

While the customer service hasn't improved at Flamingo Land, it`s an amazing theme park that has been transformed into one of the best UK theme parks in recent years. There's amazing rides, a good zoo and OK shows. While it probably won't compare to parks abroad, it much nicer than similar parks such as Drayton Manor, Camelot, Blackpool and Lightwater Valley.
  • stavros42
    stavros42 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Just a warning to all the people buying the free SUN legoland tickets on eBay, if the barcode number is showing in any of the pictures Legoland are cancelling these tickets. You have been warned its in their T&Cs
  • Good evening all,
    I'm planning a special trip to legoland Windsor with the hubby and kids this August. We have saved hard and can afford the merlin annual pass (squeals with delight!). But I could do with some advice.
    We're looking for a cheap place to crash for three nights, prepared to drive 40 mins to legoland in the mornings/evenings. Any ideas??

Also does anyone have any tips for attacking the park in the military style fashion!? (I like to be ridiculously prepared!)

And finally.... Eating? Shall we have a late tea in the park? Or find a (whispers) McDonald's!?

Many thanks in advance,
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost.
  • tulip12
    tulip12 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi

does anyone know of any discounts around at the moment for Drayton Manor Park and Zoo? my daughter is hoping to go tomorrow with a friend. Thanks so much for any replies Tulip :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback