Talk Talk - Broadband Problem!

Hi

I've been having terrible problems with TALK TALK over the last few weeks.

I am connected to my talktalk broadband modem via an ethernet cable and then to the telephone socket by a 2m extension cable.

I have been with talktalk (and been LLU'd) for over 16 months now and have not really had connection problems until now.

over the last 2-3 weeks the connection has been dropping out for periods of a few minutes to a number of hours. This doesn't happen every day but most days recently.

Sometimes the broadband reconnects for a few seconds or a few minutes and then drops again, and this is repeated for hours on end!

I'm just wondering if this could be a problem at my end - or if it is a problem with Talktalk's infrastructure. If it is the latter - what can I get them to do about it!?

Any suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Ask the Geeks over at http://www.talktalkmembers.com/
  • Hiya, I have been having the same problem and for some reason my internet is running very slow!!!!!!!!!! I have tried email Talk Talk but I aren't getting any where and when you phone you can be on hold for over half an hour!!!!!!!

Help

Tracey
    Light bulb moment - 18th Sept 2006 DFW 88
    :ADD1 17/1/04 (9 weeks early):ADD2 1/9/07 (4 weeks early) :ADS 5/7/2011 (5 weeks early)
    Started comping June 2010 (my bad luck follows me everywhere I go so won't win anything)
    Tracey :p
  • p4girl
    p4girl Posts: 141 Forumite
    When I had a problem with Talktalk, I posted it on the members forum. ( I appreciate if your internet connection is dodgy, you may have to use a friend's computer!!)

Within two days, my problem had been sorted, because there are Talktalk employees patrolling the forums, and I really felt as though they were genuinely there to help me out. Thanks Emma!

Give it a go.
  • We changed to Talk Talk phone and broadband services on the 8th April after a saleman came to our house and told us how we would be able to run our computers at the same time at a fast speed (something which we were later told by another talk talk employee was rubbish) neither the telephone or broadband work properly my phone sounds like someone is drilling in the background all the time and the broadband has never worked for a full 24 hours. Now it does not work at all and hasnt since Friday 24th April when I reported it. I have spent hours trying to get this sorted out and I am now very up fed. Some of the staff are absolute bullies. All they keep repeating to me is that if I cancel my contract I will be charged cancellation charges. Perhaps I should start charging them for the time I am off line and my phone lines noise and for the hours I sit on the phone whilst they try to fix the problems (problems I never had with BT or NTL) I only changed to save money. I have also seen a report that shows that Talk Talk are having problems coping with the influx of broadband customers. I am totally fed up with the company and I feel that telling me if I cancel agreement that they have not fulfilled will incur me cost is blackmail something I am not surprised at having dealt with the company for the past month.
  • We changed to Talk Talk phone and broadband services on the 8th April after a saleman came to our house and told us how we would be able to run our computers at the same time at a fast speed (something which we were later told by another talk talk employee was rubbish) neither the telephone or mobile broadband work properly my phone sounds like someone is drilling in the background all the time and the broadband has never worked for a full 24 hours. Now it does not work at all and hasnt since Friday 24th April when I reported it. I have spent hours trying to get this sorted out and I am now very up fed. Some of the staff are absolute bullies. All they keep repeating to me is that if I cancel my contract I will be charged cancellation charges. Perhaps I should start charging them for the time I am off line and my phone lines noise and for the hours I sit on the phone whilst they try to fix the problems (problems I never had with BT or NTL) I only changed to save money. I have also seen a report that shows that Talk Talk are having problems coping with the influx of broadband customers. I am totally fed up with the company and I feel that telling me if I cancel agreement that they have not fulfilled will incur me cost is blackmail something I am not surprised at having dealt with the company for the past month.

Seems kinda strange how broadband providers cant seem to keep up with the demand like they WERENT expecting the entire nation to get high speed internet eventually. Its such a joke.
  • markbloke
    markbloke Posts: 319
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We changed to Talk Talk phone and broadband services on the 8th April after a saleman came to our house and told us how we would be able to run our computers at the same time at a fast speed (something which we were later told by another talk talk employee was rubbish) neither the telephone or broadband work properly my phone sounds like someone is drilling in the background all the time and the broadband has never worked for a full 24 hours.

There should be no problem with sharing the connection among several computers. You might need to get a network switch/hub or use the connection wirelessly though (I haven't seen talktalk's latest router). The speed of the connection is shared between all the computers you connect.
    Are you sure the phone is connected to the socket using a microfilter and it's plugged in the right socket? Have you got another microfilter you can try in case the one you've got is faulty? I realise you'd rather talktalk sort it out but you might as well have a go while you're waiting....
    Sorry to hear talktalk haven't improved since I left them. I had to threaten them to stop them billing me even when I'd gone.
    Reading this signature is a waste of time
  • Since my moan about Talk Talk yesterday I have had
    No Broadband since friday 24th April
    No replies to emails sent to customer services
    Now my phone is no longer receiving incoming calls called Talk Talk three times today put through to recorded message cuts off after holding for what seemed eternity each time.
    Will email customer services again.
  • I was with Tiscal for 8 years and all was fine until Talk Talk took over, now my broadband drops out throughout the day and the speed goes totally in the evening.
    It takes forever to load pages and I cannot use BBCi player anymore or play online games on my wii.
    I have complained to TalkTalk in the first instance using email because this has only started since they took over.
    If this dosen't solve it I will complain again and then I will take it to the ombudsmen and seek a contract termination due to failure to provide service.
    I will keep you all informed of my progress.
  • Hi All,

I've been having connectivity problems with TalkTalk Broadband and following TalkTalk help line instructions, I kept records of when the connection is lost. I compiled an excel spreadsheet over a period of a week - which demonstrated the connection is briefly lost on a number of occasions between 18:30 and 21:30, week day evenings. I supplied this information to TalkTalk and suggested the problem could be due to the high usage of internet access. TalkTalk is persisting with suggesting it is my own equipment (with the usual threat of Engineer's cost if my equipment is at fault), despite me explaining that I often work from home and can go a whole day at a time without connection issues in the daytime.

I have just emailed TalkTalk again, this time citing information from the TalkTalk Member's website, which states the following:

Sometimes exchanges suffer from capacity issues; the exchange being full or awaiting new kit, for example. Additionally, exchanges can suffer from congestion; when the link between an exchange and the wider Internet is not large enough for all the traffic.

I now await TalkTalk's next move....
  • Ive been with talktalk for over 2 years
    My advice to everyone to to register on talktalk members forum
    post your problems on there and ask them to put you on a more stable "profile"
    they will normally do this within a few hours usually max 24hrs
    I have had a couple of problems in the 2 years both were sorted within 4 hours
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure