currys refund on my TV after 30 days - what are my rights?

shaggy
shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 8 March 2017 at 12:28PM in Consumer rights
Hi all,

Was wondering if someone can advise me on this.

I got a large TV off currys back in January. Unfortunately was not able to open and install it until I moved house - which was earlier this week.

Now I find that there is a fault with the sound on the TV. its actually rubbish and very tinny. Something I wouldnt expect from an £800+ TV. The Currys refund policy indicates full refund within 21 days, or if it is faulty can exchange or refund within 30 days.

I dont meet either of these conditions as its been over 30 days. Am I within rights to demand a refund as the product is faulty?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    shaggy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Was wondering if someone can advise me on this.

I got a large TV off currys back in January. Unfortunately was not able to open and install it until I moved house - which was earlier this week.

Now I find that there is a fault with the sound on the TV. The Currys refund policy indicates full refund within 21 days, or if it is faulty can exchange or refund within 30 days.

I dont meet either of these conditions as its been over 30 days. Am I within rights to demand a refund as the product is faulty?
    You have up to six years to seek a remedy from the seller.

That remedy could be either a repair, replacement or refund.
    You can express a choice but you cannot expect the seller to provide a disproportionate remedy.
    So effectively, the seller chooses the remedy - probably a repair in your case, possibly a replacement, but unlikely to be refund.
  • shaggy wrote: »
    If goods are faulty more than 30 days from purchase, the retailer can choose whether to replace, refund or repair.
    You can state your preference but the final decision is ultimately down to the retailer.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is it a fault or is that the sound is not as good as you would like?

When I bought my last TV, the majority of the less than 5* reviews said the sound was sub par, personally I found it acceptable and had no complaints. If the quality of sound is a major factor in your choice of TV perhaps you should have made the effort to try it out earlier within the "change of mind" timeframe.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for all your replies. I'm not sure if there is a fault in the sound it's just tinny and plenty of screeching and not what I expected an £800 tv to sound like. It's very difficult to test sound for something like this in store when you have 20 other TVs blasting out at you in all directions.

Should I call currys and ask for a refund (which I know they don't have to give me)
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    You can ask but just don't expect a yes. They may offer to send an engineer out to check it but it maybe a case of nothing wrong with it just not to your liking. You could always purchase a soundbar. The TV I bought didn't have brilliant reviews for the sound, I thought it was fine I purchased the soundbar because I use the TV for playing music. The sound through a soundbar is much better.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    Have you adjusted the sound settings to see if you can improve the audio quality?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    shaggy wrote: »
    Is it though? One of the biggest problems as TVs get thinner is the sound suffers as a result. It may just well be that the sound isn't particular great with this make/model of TV, doesn't mean that there's a fault.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    All my friends have purchased sound bars as the new slim tv's don't have the clear audio that older larger sets have.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You don't necessarily need to purchase a sound bar to get better sound out of your TV, I use a digital optical cable from my TV into my Denon micro hifi system to get additional sound from my freestanding speakers.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Think of the speakers in the newTV set being like those in a pair of extremely small earphones compared to the speakers fitted in a par of large over the ear headphones.
    There is very little space to put the speakers and as such, the frequency range and output will be very limited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure