PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In: nothing
    Out: 3 tins tomatoes, tin of soup, haddock portion, oven chips, spinach, peas
    Used up: end of a piece of cheddar
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    OUT frozen mince, icecream
    IN nothing
  • Well DS has been demolishing bread, but because I haven't bought more he's eaten leftover wraps and hasn't discovered the rolls yet.

I cleaned a rather clear looking fridge after finding our pickles had gone mouldy... How??? It looks lovely in there now though.

DS has switched from bananas to a love of apples for the first time. So I have some sad looking bananas in the fruit bowl. I think I will make these into a stick toffee upside down banana cake I've been wanting to try for ages. I might make the frozen berries and some droopy plums into a crumble while the oven is on... Maybe a cherry cake to pop in the freezer while I'm at it. We'll see!
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Morning all!
    Despite the fact that my boy's current getting up time is 5am I'm feeling fairly chirpy today as i managed to sidestep hubby's takeaway suggestion last night. He wanted pizza as he was craving something a bit junk foody. I offered quorn southern fried nuggets and felafels from the freezer so we had that instead. Win!
  • Hollyberry
    Hollyberry Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2017 at 11:47AM
    My aim this month was to buy only perishables or items too bargainous to miss, and to try and eat down the freezer and cupboards. I've got yesterday's online shopping receipt in front of me, and thought I'd check my purchases through to see if I've managed that objective.

My extraneous items are: mint sauce (had one already - oops), caramel pecan praline non dairy ice cream (so very unsorry) plus a bag of gluten free nut roast (trial purchase) a frozen gluten free pie (very few places stock this) and three bars of non dairy chocolate from the organic shop (also unsorry). I can live with that.

Out: blackberries, bananas, last of a box of bircher museli, lactose free milk, cheese, smoked mackerel, mini potatoes, celery, spring onions, mayo.

In: Online shop. Chocolate, dairy free soft cheese, GF nut roast mix and a GF pie from the organic shop.
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Tues :

IN: Morrisons shop ... Need frozen quorn items for myself, so also got non- perishable items to bump it up to minimum spend.
    Consumed on the spot ... Chips, chip muffin and a portion of spring rolls (parents evening, so hungry by the time we got out and waiting for bus back)

OUTspread, bread slices, avocado, Linda McCartney burgers, burger buns, garnish, cornetto, packed lunch, coffee/tea/sugar/,milk, juice

Weds

IN : iceberg lettuce, 2x bagels, 2x muesli cookies, 4 x Colmans cook in sauces ... handy for when batch cooking chicken portions etc for DD1, several tins of tomatoes and some iced coffeesachets of coffee i got roped into buying because they were cheap (checked them when i got home and got milk in, so DD2 been having them).

OUT : alpro yoghurt, strawberries, blueberries, banana, granola, onions x 2, mushrooms x 5, tinned tomatoes, hellmans chipotle sauce, bits of herbs/spices/vinegars, 4 x vegan sausages, last of wholewheat tagliatelle, tin of black beans, tin of butterbeans, aquafaba and sugar to make meringue, buckwheat flour (ran out of plain), oil, greens lemon pie filling (that i've had forever)

Will do Thurs to today later on ...
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • I'm joining in!!

Absolutely mahoosive amount of food stocks in at the moment (did an inventory a couple of weeks ago and It covers 2 sheets of A4 on both sides!! :o ) so am going to get through all that before I get anything other than absolute essentials in ;)

Today: in- nothing; out- 1 pk hm seitan, 1 bread roll, 1 slice vegan bacon, Hommous, grated beetroot :D (seitan burgers for lunch..nomnom!!:D)

I have half a huge cauliflower that I cooked with citrus and green olives in the fridge which I need to use tonight so will decide on what to do with that later ;)
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Out: sausage goulash, cherry ice lolly (unexpected find!). Blackberries, strawberries and rhubarb.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm joining in!!

Absolutely mahoosive amount of food stocks in at the moment (did an inventory a couple of weeks ago and It covers 2 sheets of A4 on both sides!! :o ) so am going to get through all that before I get anything other than absolute essentials in ;)

Today: in- nothing; out- 1 pk hm seitan, 1 bread roll, 1 slice vegan bacon, Hommous, grated beetroot :D (seitan burgers for lunch..nomnom!!:D)

I have half a huge cauliflower that I cooked with citrus and green olives in the fridge which I need to use tonight so will decide on what to do with that later ;)

Welcome and hope this works for you. I also do the GC and work with an annual budget but I am finding my stores and freezer have ensured dramatic savings so far in 2017. I might have to knock a few hundred off my unnecessarily generous uplift this year (allowing for Brexit-related inflation).

Hopefully the switch from planning then shopping to stores-mealplan-shop will work for you too. I have found it works best when I adapt to what I have in.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Between yesterday & today
    In: 3 portions ragu, 3 portions white sauce
    Out: 2 baguettes, parsley, braising steak, chicken thighs, root veg mash
    Use up: LO lasagne, LO garlic bread, butter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing