Route, no motorways or dual carriageways.

My wife is a very nervous driver. She wants to drive from Shipley, West Yorkshire to Hornsea, East Yorkshire avoiding motorways and dual carriageways.
Does anyone know of a Route Planner that can show a route, please?
Thanks
Andrew

Comments

• debs66_2
    debs66_2 Posts: 304 Forumite
    hi, have you tried www.uk.map24.com ??

search for each place, then right click on each and select either 'route from' or 'route to'. there is then an option to configure your route. select 'no motorways'.

i haven't long since found this site, and it takes a little getting used to, but i think it will do the trick if you spend a little while with it.
    Blonde jokes are one-liners so men can remember them...;)
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    the only problem, with the "no motorways" on any site / gps system, it will still let you go on dual carriageways, are any vehicle is allowed to go on these roads.

maybe, the easiest way, is going to be the old fashioned one, of getting the maps out, and working out which roads you can go on.

also, it'll probably take 4 hours, rather than 2 and a half, if you went over the M62, which is the main route.

other roads, such as the A63 are doable, but they change to dual carriageways in plenty of places!

very difficult planning such a long route, with such restrictions IMO
  • colmil
    colmil Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    If she is so scared of roads, frankly, she should not be driving anywhrere!
    Filiss
  • khizman
    khizman Posts: 527 Forumite
    colmil wrote: »
    If she is so scared of roads, frankly, she should not be driving anywhrere!
    Indeed, is she able to feel safe in her car at 60 on a single carriageway, if so why not at 70 on a dual carriageway?
  • colmil
    colmil Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Do you really think she will exceed 30 mph?

What happens if she has to overtake a tractor?
    Filiss
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Being wary of roads and the dangers is not such a bad thing, go to far and you have the problem your wife has.

Rather than be hamstrung by the problem I advise getting her some extra lessons on motorway and dual carriageway driving - the Bingley bypass is only just down the road. A few trips to Silsden and back on the A650 and she would be more comfortable.

What if she sets off, takes a wrong turning and ends up on a dual carriageway or motorway?

My dad once came across someone who wouldn't turn right and would go miles out of their way doing left turns. A few lessons and their irrational fear was sorted.
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's a proven fact that motorways and dual carriageways have fewer accidents per driven mile than single carriageways.

Probably because the less-than-confident drivers don't use them!
  • ssedd
    ssedd Posts: 94 Forumite
    Try google maps, it has a directions section that you put the from and to address in and it will calculate a route. It wont automatically remove the motorways and dual carraigeways but it will allow you to view the map and then drag your route about manually so you can avoid the roads you dont want to travel on. This will probably make more sense if you take a look at it!
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ssedd wrote: »
    Try google maps, it has a directions section that you put the from and to address in and it will calculate a route. It wont automatically remove the motorways and dual carraigeways but it will allow you to view the map and then drag your route about manually so you can avoid the roads you dont want to travel on. This will probably make more sense if you take a look at it!

Google tries! Tick the 'avoid highways' box and it will produce a non-motorway route.

However, for this trip, I think the best solution is:

Shipley - Guiseley - Wetherby - York - Beverley - Hornsea.

(Have fun getting through York!!!)
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Would hypnotherapy help?

I used to love dual carrigeways when I was a very nervous R driver and was out driving. You could tuck yourself in and drive at the speed you wanted knowing that you weren't going to be stuck with some idiot desperate to overtake behind you. I can see the worry about motorways easier but speeds have slowed down a lot since the oil prices started to rise:)

The AA routefinder does give you an option to avoid motorways I think... but I do think tackling the problem should be her first step...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure