How soon can I re-apply for a credit card I have had previously

Options
Hi Everybody,

This is my first post....so go easy on me ;o)

I was looking through my wallet and realised I had 5 credit cards in it that had no balances on and that I never use. I do however have a 6th card which is the one I use and does has a balance on.

The 0% interst period is coming to an end on this 6th card and so I used an online facility for checking the best deals on balance transfers, as I do at the end of every promotional period (serious credit card tart :rotfl: ). It was then that I realised the majority of the best offers were cards I already had but the promotional period had ended for me which is the reason I balance transfered the remaining balance to another 0% card and left the card active but with no balance on.

So I thought if I cancel the cards I no longer use how long should I wait until I can re-apply for a card that I have already had about a year ago and would the lender even consider me being that I had an account and closed it and now I am requesting to open another account?

If anybody has had any experiences with this I would be really interested to read about it.

Thanks Guys!!

Comments

• sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The usual time lag to re-apply is 6 months. If you have cards you wish to close I would suggest you phone the issuer and ask if they have any offers as you intend to close the card. You might just get lucky.

John
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most after six months (as said), but also

Egg - 12 months

Capital One - 1 month (but must not then reapply for 6 months if rejected)

Nationwide - may get a new card again, but can never be eligible for their (current) promotional deal a second time

..so there is a bit of variation there
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family