DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8

Options

Comments

• klfairy
    klfairy Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Well I've rebooked an appointment with CCCS and filled in the right paperwork for a new bank account. Keen to get the ball rolling now! Off to look at old style to see if there are any tips I can use :)
    SPC - Number 1425
  • Tigsmom
    Tigsmom Posts: 290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    klfairy wrote: »
    Well I've rebooked an appointment with CCCS and filled in the right paperwork for a new bank account. Keen to get the ball rolling now! Off to look at old style to see if there are any tips I can use :)

That's what I should've done! Instead I used every tip in the book to get by for the last 6 years thus prolonging the agony and the enevitable (was made redundant in 2006!). I'm an expert on scrimping!

Posted my DMP and most creditor letters/tokens today. Just redirecting other payments to new account (hours on phone, press 1 for this 2 for that :( ) There's a bottle of wine in the fridge with my name on when I've done it all! :D
  • klfairy
    klfairy Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    I have had the same overdraft now for 7 years. 7 YEARS. I wish I'd got my head together about finances a long time ago. I wish we'd started this DMP last year when OH was made redundant. I wish... meh... we are where we are I suppose.

Good luck with getting the phone calls done and enjoy that wine!!
    SPC - Number 1425
  • Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    Sorry HH, I think I rambled on too much and didn't really get to the point .... nowt new there! :o

What we were worried about was them saying you have to pay it all in one go or you can't have car insurance.

Do you mean that we don't need to worry about the credit check and they are likely to allow us to pay monthly despite our situation?

That's correct, getting it mothly shouldn't be a problem

HHx
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    Options
    Ok so I have til tomorrow to get the account numbers to CCCS. I can't find a Wonga account number anywhere, can someone help please? xxx
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    That's correct, getting it mothly shouldn't be a problem

HHx

Thanks HH, you are an :A

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Tigsmom wrote: »
    I spoke to DH about this because I don't drive so car insurance is his thing. He said that the insurance companies are giving everyone high quotes at the moment (something to do with getting money back they've spent on floods) in the hope that we won't notice. This may have nothing to do with your credit rating. Have you tried shopping around to see if they're also high? I know credit searches affect your credit rating but if it's shot anyway does it matter?

Thanks very much Tigsmom :)

We don't give a fig about our credit rating so they can search as much as they like. We were just in panic state in case we had to come up with over £700 in one go by the end of this month :eek:
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    I think perhaps the type of search they do is an 'enquiry' search to check you live where you say you do. Financial people checking your credit rating can't actually see these 'enquiry' searches.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're inflating premiums to claw some money back.

TtftM - if you ARE planning on shopping round, check Martin's guide on here and remember to check all the comparison sites he suggests, plus Aviva and Direct Line who aren't on comparisons, and then go through one of the cashback sites (quidco or topcashback) and see if the best you see on the comparisons are also offering cashback. This is a great opportunity to get your premium down and get some cash too. And also ask yourself if you really need all those extra bits. The only thing I would always add would be protected No Claims.

Last time I switched my insurance, my premium (after cashback) worked out at £97 for the year! :T

Thanks GB :)

£97 for the year?! Ours is around that figure per month and that is only a slight exaggeration :(
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    Options
    I also thought you could email all your stuff to CCCS but I can't seem to find the email address :( xxx
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Tigsmom wrote: »
    Oh mine ranted on about how we got here, how good our past history was, what we plan to do to put it right....

Then I thought 'are they really bothered?'. I've decided to keep the explanations for any subsequent letters that might be needed to persuade them further.

I thought your letter covered everything and was written beautifully.:T

tbh I'd be careful about what you say or write to creditors, as they tend to make a note of it...
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport