Scrapping Talktalk TV for Now TV?

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    By pure co-incidence in taking TalktalkTV, I'd stumbled upon a solution that was genuinely not capable of licenceable activity (and was clearly configurable to do this). Not only does the box work quite happily without an aerial connection, but you can also hide all the TV channels.

It seems like the other potential solutions may not be as easy as YV to do this with. In particular, Now TV (even without a sub) carries live Sky News and BBC News. I don't know whether these can be removed, but I wouldn't want to leave them available if I didn't have a licence.

This all seems much more complicated than it ought to be...
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 April 2014 at 3:20PM
    Options
    What you really need is a pure On Demand service box with no live channels on it. The problem with that is the entire industry believes that IPTV is the future and they are all going to go that way in one form or another. Even TT have just announced that their TV bundle now includes Sky's seven live Entertainment channels over IP, so not even YouView is an option now. Unless one no longer subscribes and just does catch up TV.

Edit - Oh and make sure they haven't charged you £199 for that box.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 7 April 2014 at 4:43PM
    Options
    Yep - will certainly look out for that. My account is in credit at the moment because they refunded my advance payment for line rental.

It also looks as though they haven't fixed my billing properly, because it's showing as unable to state the next billing date.

It's one of those strange things - the BBC and politicians are concerned about people opting out of live TV, and yet the practical options for it are somewhat limited.

I suppose the point is that I don't need different hardware, just software that is flexible enough to allow the deletion of services I don't want.
  • VisionMan
    Options
    Actually thinking about it as you no longer subscribe to TT TV, all the catch up players will still work on your current kit. So your sorted if you get to keep it.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Yeah - that's going to be the best & easiest solution if it goes that way.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think that if you can recieve them the way your equipment is set up - you do.

No, you dont. Only of you watch or record live.
  • VisionMan
    Options
    littleboo wrote: »
    No, you dont. Only of you watch or record live.

Bearing in mind the question was originally asked about Now TV, which is subscription, the subscription itself pays for both on demand and live channels. I understand what your saying, but in the above scenario you do.

"Yes M'Lud, I paid for a Now TV subscription that included both on demand and live channels. But I didn't watch the live ones. Honest."

Highly doubtful.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    I think we've now established beyond reasonable doubt that all of the various Now TV box configurations need a licence.

No Sub - for Sky News & BBC News
    Entertainment - is all live channels
    Movies - is a mix of live & on-demand
    Sports - is all live channels
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    VisionMan wrote: »
    Bearing in mind the question was originally asked about Now TV, which is subscription, the subscription itself pays for both on demand and live channels. I understand what your saying, but in the above scenario you do.

"Yes M'Lud, I paid for a Now TV subscription that included both on demand and live channels. But I didn't watch the live ones. Honest."

Highly doubtful.

I disagree. It's not about what you could do, it's about what you do do, otherwise you'd still need a TV licence for owning a TV or a PVR or an internet connected laptop.
  • VisionMan
    Options
    littleboo wrote: »
    I disagree. It's not about what you could do, it's about what you do do, otherwise you'd still need a TV licence for owning a TV or a PVR or an internet connected laptop.

Then where Now TV's concerned, lets agree to disagree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure