Why wont my boot open? Zafira 06

Sammy-Jo_2
Sammy-Jo_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
I have a Zafira (06) and over the last few weeks my boot has intermittently been refusing to open. Today, however, the boot is staying shut. There is no keyhole as it works on a sensor. Really dont want to take it to a dealership if its something I can fix myself. I thought it might be the fuse but there isnt a seperate fuse for the luggage compartment. Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Sammy-Jo_2
    Thankyou so much! I looked a right idiot at Costco this afternoon with my new washing line trying to get it in my boot which wouldnt open!! Can now relax with a glass of wine and not worry about the forty five pound labour charge a certain dealership wanted to charge me just to look at it!!
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    edited 6 March 2011 at 2:34PM
    Sammy-Jo wrote: »
    I have a Zafira (06) and over the last few weeks my boot has intermittently been refusing to open. Today, however, the boot is staying shut. There is no keyhole as it works on a sensor. Really dont want to take it to a dealership if its something I can fix myself. I thought it might be the fuse but there isnt a seperate fuse for the luggage compartment. Any ideas anyone?

Why was the boot refusing to open? It's sounds like an alignment fault with the boot lid, and the circuit is drawing excessive current.
    If I'm right, it may blow again. Could have been some damp in the circuit though.

Don't forget, the blown fuse is the symptom, not the fault.
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    If the Zafira has the same fusebox as the Astra, screen wash fuse and boot fuse are the same on some models. Screenwash pump blows fuses for fun if it's cold.
  • wookie_2
    wookie_2 Posts: 781 Forumite
    Kilty wrote: »
    If the Zafira has the same fusebox as the Astra, screen wash fuse and boot fuse are the same on some models. Screenwash pump blows fuses for fun if it's cold.
    Totally agree with you on that one, :D
  • Sammy-Jo_2
    I have changed the fuse but its still not opening the boot. Is there a reset button once I change the fuse or anything else I can try? Thanks.
  • pompeyfaith
    pompeyfaith Posts: 536 Forumite
    Try here bound to be someone that knows, you may have to register first

http://www.zafiraowners.co.uk/forum/forums.html
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Possibly the cable which supplies power to the lock has broken due to flexing every time the boot is opened or closed. Happened to my car once. Sometimes the same cable supplies the number plate light so check if that works.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2011 at 12:02PM
    If it's anything like the Vectra, it's an electric lock and there's a knack to opening the boot (it doesn't "pop" open like most cars).... If you hold the button down and don't use enough force to pull it open at the same time, the actuator just makes a funny whirring noise and the boot won't open at all.... If you then carry on holding the button down, there's a good chance of blowing the fuse.

Why does it have this system? Simple.... It saves weight and allows the designers to use the CAN bus system rear control module (which also saves weight) to handle everything at the rear of the vehicle electronically instead of running thick copper (expensive) cables down the length of the car.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • nikkiuk
    nikkiuk Posts: 181 Forumite
    Check your screenwash, if that is not working either then it could be that you have replaced it with another dodgy fuse! It happens to us fairly regulary and is something to do with something freezing and expanding which causes the fuse to blow....that is what we were told by the vauxhall garage anyway, it's a common fault on the Zafira!
    The first time it happened to us we were at Ikea and had just bought a flat packed dining room table and chairs..........twas fun squeezing it in through the back doors!!
    2013 Alphabet challenge: A[STRIKE]B[/STRIKE][STRIKE]C[/STRIKE]DEFGHIJKLMNO[STRIKE]P[/STRIKE]QR[STRIKE]S[/STRIKE]TUVWXYZ

20 presents for Xmas 2013 challenge:
    [STRIKE]1[/STRIKE],2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20

2013 wins: Baby Annabell doll, stationary set, pedometer, cinema tickets:j
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    nikkiuk wrote: »
    Check your screenwash, if that is not working either then it could be that you have replaced it with another dodgy fuse! It happens to us fairly regulary and is something to do with something freezing and expanding which causes the fuse to blow....that is what we were told by the vauxhall garage anyway, it's a common fault on the Zafira!

:rotfl:

That's because you tried to use your washer fluid when it was frozen solid and you overstressed the pump, which in turn blew the fuse. Not a fault with the car im afraid.

Have your wiper blades mysteriously fallen apart or the wiper arms bent to hell, when it's been frosty outside too?

:rotfl:
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure