Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Good luck, hope you achieve your goal of being debt free by Christmas :)
    [STRIKE]Argos - October 2017[/STRIKE] Aqua - November 2017
    Barclaycard - June 2020 MBNA - April 2018 Tesco - April 2019
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,245 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Doctors letters take ages. I remember having to get one to claim on holiday cancellation insurance 4 years ago when Mr SA first got ill. Don't talk to me about nPower - had loads of trouble with them 4 years ago, changed as soon as I could, think they paid me more in compensation for bad service than I used on fuel!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • I am fed up with NPower. We seem to be constantly £1000 in debt to them, probably because they never send anyone to read our meter and then we're not paying enough :mad:. I'm submitting online monthly meter readings to them at the moment to try and avoid that happening. One of my ambitions is to pay them off and switch!
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Thanks Debt Buster :)
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Thanks parsniphead. It's exciting and yet a bit stressful to be so near and yet not quite there :o.

We've got 8 grand sitting in a savings account waiting to pay off the last two debts, hopefully, and I have to keep checking that it's still there and hasn't mysteriously disappeared :D

I'm also aware that neither of us has a pension now, so we need to build up some savings for our retirement in about 14 years time. Our mortgage should be paid off in ten years which will save £420 a month, so we could start saving that amount then. If we can raise our income and avoid impulse buys that will help too :o.

Are you able to join a company pension scheme or is it you or your DHs occupational pension which has been cashed in? You may want to look at SIPPS for either/both of you as much better return than saving in normal savings account especially if you have 14 years to retirement. HMRC will also add 25% to whatever you put in. An emergency savings account is more important first though.

Is it worth you posting an SOA to see if we can help suggest further savings?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • We're both self employed es. It was a pension from a job my DH had years ago, before he become self employed, that he's cashed in for the F&Fs. We should have set up private pensions when we both became self employed, but never seemed to have enough cash, with three kids and an irregular income :(.

I will take a look at SIPPs for savings, thanks for the suggestion :).

I do want to build up an emergency fund of £1000 too, so we're going to try and put £100 a month towards that.
  • Ooh - a diary! *Subscribed*

Fingers crossed here for the final F&F working out as you hope and you meeting your debt free by christmas target - hopefully the chase on the Dr's letter will have done the trick!

Scottish Power are the energy provider I would never return to - they were a nightmare as they muddled up our day/night readings and then took forever to correct things...!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 September 2017 at 8:00PM
    Thanks Essex :wave: I expect most energy companies have their annoying habits, but I'm very ready for a change!

Today's Mr T shop was over my budget of £80 as it came in at £93 :(. When I looked at my receipt I'd picked up chicken breast instead of drumsticks by mistake, costing me £12 instead of £4 :eek: I'd have taken it back if the shop wasn't miles away! The packets were identical! I won't make that mistake again :mad:

DH didn't have time to chase the doctors note but I'll make him do it tomorrow.

On a positive note, the rain that was promised for 9.00am didn't arrive until lunch time and I managed to squeeze a half hour walk into my day before the rain came :).
  • One of the things I would like to do today is to sign up with Clearscore and also get a credit report from Experian through the MSE free link.

I've already signed up with Noddle and on my report with them it records my debt with Hoist as being 'satisfied' with a zero balance owing :T & my debt with Barclays also says 'satisfied' with a zero balance :T.

However for my M&S debt it records I've paid 50% but still says 'default' and records a balance owing of nearly £5000 :(. This should get updated to say 'satisfied' with a zero balance like the others, so I need to keep an eye on this.

I didn't pay any of them until I had a letter agreeing to the full and final settlement and I'm keeping those letters very safe indeed, so if M&S don't update it soon then I'll ring them up and ask them to correct the information.

All the defaults were recorded as 2015 which is correct.

Have a good day everyone. I'm hoping for a NSD today.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure