PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Faggots.

Was at an elderly relatives yesterday and she served Bains Faggots. Haven't had them in 4/5 years but remember quite liking them. Thing is this time I thought they were rather horrible. Mushy and tasteless in a watery gravy. I saw her open the packet from frozen and put it in the oven.

Was wondering if the recipe has changed or just my tastes.

Anyway have a hankering for Faggots anyone have any suggestions/recipies?
The Ginger Pig in Marylebone sometimes do them but not at the moment.

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There's a recipe in Delia's Complete Cookery Course.
  • I agree with you about Bains.I only tried them once and was astonished at how different they were from the faggots I was used to. When I was a child it was only 'left over' faggot that was rolled into a ball to be baked in the oven with gravy. We would take a large basin to the butcher, who would fill it with fresh, hot peppery faggot mix. I would hurry home with it covered by a clean tea towel (a very nice white one as the neighbours saw it!) under instruction NOT to stick my fingers in it. We ate it immediately with mushy peas.
    Now I get mine from my lovely local butcher and they are delicious. When I couldn't get them, and had a large freezer, I would do one batch cook a year.
  • Proper ones from the butcher are good, those frozen ones are a bit pointless
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Is this still classed as a foodstuff?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Grandparent used to make them but after BSE it was no longer legal to buy the assorted bits of innards that were part of the full recipe.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    No mad cows in Delia's recipe - bacon, belly pork, pig liver. If I ever see pig liver for sale, I might have a go at it.
  • Worth checking your local butcher, ours sells huge ones for £1 each (6 for a fiver). We tried making them once and it was totally gross.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    brains faggots remain a fond memory - the new ones - yuk... not a patch on the meaty ball one remembers - bit like fray bentos pies, DH craved one, when I relented, it was not as memory served - not fit for a dog :eek:

I do have Frugal Queens faggot recipe, which was amazing, but not sure if I am allowed to post it, especially since her blog has been removed by herself.

Mr S - one thing I found near impossible to buy was Caule, okay if you want a 5kg frozen block, but not enough for 2 dozen.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    The best faggots I've ever had was when I was in the RAF. The Airman's Mess at RAF Coltishall used to do beautiful ones.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Having just Googled it, I've realised that faggots are what my gran used to call 'savoury ducks' - that must be a northern name as I remember my gran always saying how delicious they were, and how she'd take a bowl to the butchers to get them hot. Given that they seem to be pork-based I've no idea where the 'duck' comes from, but I have to say the ingredients list doesn't look that appealing ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure