Vodafone affecting my credit score

I have a credit mark against me from Vodafone, from back in 2009, I am currently cleaning up my credit score to enable me to get a mortgage. The credit issue was due to me living out of the country at the time, I honestly believed I had settled the account before I left. Once I was aware the account was in arrears it was paid immediately. My File will be clean due to the 6 year period being up in July, but I am currently applying for the mortgage and really need the file to be clean as possible. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the file cleaned quickly?

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it's valid default then there is no quick way. There'd be no point in the system if there was!
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    If it's valid default then there is no quick way. There'd be no point in the system if there was!
    There's the question. Is it a valid default?

As plenty of what appear to be less deserving members get defaults removed by Mobile Comms providers, it seems reasonable for the OP to hope the Vodafone Fairy comes along and waves their magic mouse, I mean wand..'!
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    No chance. It's VODAFONE (no fairies there), 6 years ago and even IF ( a HUGE IF) it was to be changed it would take them longer than the time left to it's expiry.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Leeevans wrote: »
    I have a credit mark against me from Vodafone, from back in 2009, I am currently cleaning up my credit score to enable me to get a mortgage. The credit issue was due to me living out of the country at the time, I honestly believed I had settled the account before I left. Once I was aware the account was in arrears it was paid immediately. My File will be clean due to the 6 year period being up in July, but I am currently applying for the mortgage and really need the file to be clean as possible. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the file cleaned quickly?

so it's a genuine default, unfortunately your honest belief isn't enough, you should have ensured the account was clear and cancelled. As a legitimate default you will struggle to get Voda to remove it, and as others have said, even if it wasn't it would take longer to resolve than the time before it falls away if you are approaching 6 years.
    ====
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP it can't affect your credit score as it doesn't exist.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi Leeevans,

If you'd like me to take a closer look at this, email me with your details using the link in our profile here.

Just copy and paste the link into your web browser, and it'll take you to the Contact us form on our website. To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I’ll check I've received it.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Comms

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • This is exactly what happend with my account at Vodafone. How is best to get in touch with a Vodafone representative? as we can't get a mortgage now because of our default. Thanks
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    This is exactly what happend with my account at Vodafone. How is best to get in touch with a Vodafone representative? as we can't get a mortgage now because of our default. Thanks

The post directly above yours explains how to get in touch with them....
    ====
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi danparaoaru,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

So I can access your account, email me via the contact details provided in post seven above.

If you're using the new version of the MSE Forum and unable to see the link in our profile, the Contact us form you need to complete is here.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Comms

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure