PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Comments

• Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2016 at 7:10AM
    Just popping in to say hi :)

Outbid on the 2yr old new build. on for 320K went for 355K - well out of our price range. Went to see a mortgage dude and discussed buying in the market without HTB (all new builds in our area are now all over 400K) frankly without HTB we can afford a shed in a dodgy location.

So, we are keeping our fingers crossed the builder comes back and agrees to stagger the garages/lower the drive so we get a back door and access to the garden. they tend to email on a wednesday so i will be expecting something today.

To add to the mix the bank sent our mortgage offer letter to the landlord by mistake (NB - let's say we live at willow house lodge - LL lives at willow house lodge farm)

So suddenly out of the blue - he popped up at the weekend wanting us to sign a new tenancy agreement with a full 6 month notice period,no break clause, 12 month term and rent increase.

There is now bad feeling as we are refusing to sign (we will pay the rent increase but we are on a rolling contract so i dont need to sign) annoying the rent increase is the same amount as the mortgage PCM.

He obviously decided that if the bank has made that offer we can afford to pay that per month. It irritates me as the PCM was for a three bed detached with a garage - what we currently live in is a semi derelict bungalow of non standard construction with leaky roof and guttering, heating issues and rising damp from tree roots in the drains. He knows we are not going to move out just to move again so he is on to a winner. Sigh.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • mleach101
    mleach101 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    Just popping in to say hi :)

Outbid on the 2yr old new build. on for 320K went for 355K. Went to see a mortgage dude and discussed buying in the market without HTB (all new builds in our area are now all over 400K. frankly without HTB we can afford a shed in a dodgy location.

So, we are keeping our fingers crossed the builder comes back and agrees to stagger the garages/lower the drive so we get a back door and access to the garden.

To add to the mix the bank sent our mortgage offer letter to the landlord by mistake (NB - lets say we live at willow house lodge - LL lives at willow house lodge farm)

So suddenly out of the blue - he popped up at the weekend wanting us to suddenly sign a new tenancy agreement with a 6 month notice period, 12 month term and rent increase. So there is now bad feeling as we are refusing to sign (we will pay the rent increase but we are on a rolling contract so i dont need to sign) annoying the rent increase is the same amount as the mortgage PCM - for a three bed detached with a garage - what we currently live in is a semi derelict bungalow of non standard construction with leaky roof and guttering, heating issues and rising damp from tree roots in the drains. Sigh.

How does your landlord know it was a mortgage offer? Did he open it? If so, that's illegal and he probably wants to be careful as to what he does with that information, using it to exploit you is not a good idea I would say!
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2016 at 7:20AM
    Its not illegal to open someone elses post unless its with ill intent.

We know the offer letter was sent to the wrong address as when it did not arrive we asked for another which also did not arrive. Third one the posty dropped at ours rather than the address on the front because he realised it was not correctly addressed.

I cant prove he opened my mail, however its extremely coincidental that after being left alone for 2 years, one of which has been on a rolling contact suddenly he's hot under the collar about us moving out and wants an extended notice period and the rent increase is exactly to the mortgage PCM amount. :cool:
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • mleach101
    mleach101 Posts: 85 Forumite

We know the offer letter was sent to the wrong address as when it did not arrive we asked for another which also did not arrive. Third one the posty dropped at ours rather than the address on the front because he realised it was not correctly addressed.

I cant prove he opened my mail, however its extremely coincidental that after being left alone for 2 years, one of which has been on a rolling contact suddenly he's hot under the collar about us moving out and wants an extended notice period and the rent increase is exactly to the mortgage PCM amount. :cool:

Perhaps it's not technically illegal if ill intent wasn't there to begin with but I think people would be sceptical given how they've acted since!
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Unless you've both got the same name you can prove he opened your mail. The fact he's matched the amount to the penny is seriously disturbing.

I would be asking him to give you the two envelopes the postie confirmed had previously been delivered to the 'farm'.

Your LL might have just got himself in a whole heap of trouble here...
  • mleach101 wrote: »
    Did you/your legal reps specify the long-stop date or was it included by default by the builders? I ask because I'm due to sign contracts this week in advance of exchanging and wanted to know if it's something I need to ask for if for no other reason it seems to be a good way of leveraging incentives from the builders if there's a delay.

I believe all new builds have to have some kind of long stop otherwise they could just drag on forever. In mine it was 6 months after the last day of the build window stated. It can be longer.

You should read your contract before you sign it and exchange. If you don't understand it ask your solicitor.

You could ask for a longs stop date of choice, but they won't always agree.

If my build goes past the longstop I will walk away, there is no incentive worth the stress of the continuous unknown and trying to get your buyer to wait out six months.
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Fortunately, I'm renting, so no buyer to worry about. I decided to sell my old place first and rent for a while when looking, makes you a more attractive buyer IMO. Anyway, I've had quite a lot of incentives out of the whole process.

* Initially negotiated the asking price down to 192k, from 200k
    * First valuation came in low, negotiated price down further to 189k
    * After first delay, got tiling to bathroom floors and walls as well as upgraded tiling and to the kitchen and appliances of my choice for my patience (appliances were included as standard, but got to pick my own brand/model), total value around 4k
    * With this further delay and the mortgage issues, they've offered to pay my stamp duty and all incurred legal fees, again I estimate around 4k's worth. They also had an upgraded front door left over from another plot sale that fell through as the buyer was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died a week later, which they gave to me, worth another 3k.

At the end of the day, if I can tie up the loose ends, I'm going to end up with a lovely house that's very good value for money, so I will persevere.
  • Hou
    Hou Posts: 44 Forumite
    Whoop, just had confirmation that TW have agreed to the 22nd for completiong (subject to covernote) and my solicitor has already requested the funds for the 21st. Time to book a van.

By the way, anyone looking to rent a van, Hertz have a sale on
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hou wrote: »
    Whoop, just had confirmation that TW have agreed to the 22nd for completiong (subject to covernote) and my solicitor has already requested the funds for the 21st. Time to book a van.

By the way, anyone looking to rent a van, Hertz have a sale on

Great news, good luck!
  • We have had our official notice for completion day from TW finally too!! Property is signed off !! Excited but very nervous as unlike other people we have never seen inside our property. My one official trip to site house was about 3 rows of breeze block !! Then of course we have spied from a distance but either our site is stricter on visitors or they just didn't want me seeing how behind it was all these months when I kept asking to visit.

Hoping it's like I'm expecting or better !!

@ Visidigi good luck too ... Let's get packing !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure