8 week old Puppy is sick - what to do?

Options

Comments

• sophieschoice
    Options
    I would have updated the thread title but I don't know how to!
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I just hope she now knows shes bought a pup whos parents could be brother and sister for all she knows ( or mum and son) and that no health checks were done and that pup could have major issues in furture life.

And that now insurance is going to be sky high for it and that so may ailments will be forever excluded possibly costing hundreds of pounds come the future

Look, I came on here asking for help and, mostly, got it.
    The lady (who is a breeder of pure bred dogs but not in this instance) has had the pup vaccinated and it is due it's final vaccination in a week and half's time and is already booked in for it.
    I don't know the pups parentage except the mother and father of it are completely different breeds. One is a Bichon Fris (?) the other some kind of small terrier dog. (She did tell me but I have no interest in owning a dog so am not clued in)
    The dogs are the lady's own pets so can't imagine they are related because, as a breeder herself, she would know the pitfalls.
    Friend has taken out pet insurance now and I can't honestly see a bout of gastro enteritis which kept it hospitalised overnight could have an effect on any other illness/accident the pup may suffer in the future.
    The premium, btw, is £8.42 per month so hardly sky high.
    All's well that ends well and I thank you for your concern but this pup has a loving home thousands of other dogs (the maltreated and unwanted/homeless ones) would envy.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Look, I came on here asking for help and, mostly, got it.
    The lady (who is a breeder of pure bred dogs but not in this instance) has had the pup vaccinated and it is due it's final vaccination in a week and half's time and is already booked in for it.
    I don't know the pups parentage except the mother and father of it are completely different breeds. One is a Bichon Fris (?) the other some kind of small terrier dog. (She did tell me but I have no interest in owning a dog so am not clued in)
    The dogs are the lady's own pets so can't imagine they are related because, as a breeder herself, she would know the pitfalls.
    Friend has taken out pet insurance now and I can't honestly see a bout of gastro enteritis which kept it hospitalised overnight could have an effect on any other illness/accident the pup may suffer in the future.
    The premium, btw, is £8.42 per month so hardly sky high.
    All's well that ends well and I thank you for your concern but this pup has a loving home thousands of other dogs (the maltreated and unwanted/homeless ones) would envy.

And whats the point of being snotty with me???

Havent I at every turn said I hope the wee lad gets better???

Have I at any point slated the owners for buying an unregistered puppy??

You are not the only one who reads this forum

You say you know nothing about pups or breeding

Many others who read here also know nothing

So should I or the many others on here who only advocate responsible breeding just post " awww poor lamb hope he gets better" and not educate you in areas where you were under the wrong impression? Should we allow you to carry on posting that the pup was indeed registered with full papers when this is clearly not the case?

Im so very happy the wee lad is on the road of recovery. I also so very glad that suddenly hes insured so cheaply and applaud your friend in having such an excellent vet that he has had time to give a full and detailed medical history to the insurers on a Saturday afternoon just hours after discharging such a sick puppy that they have been able to quote such a small premium

Im also very happy that your friends have such great store in this peice of paper that the breeder gave them saying who the sire and dam were because as previously said - that piece of paper means nothing and I could type you one up tomorrow and Im extremely happy that your friends know for certain that both sire and dam have had all health checks required by their breed to ensure that no inherent illnesses are passed on

When you ask for advice on a public forum, be prepared for answers you may not like. This is an open forum
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    It is registered in another version of the KC but I don't know which.

The breeder not the pup is registered somewhere or other but not the KC.
    The pup isn't registered anywhere nor does it have papers.
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    And whats the point of being snotty with me???

Havent I at every turn said I hope the wee lad gets better???

Have I at any point slated the owners for buying an unregistered puppy??

You are not the only one who reads this forum

You say you know nothing about pups or breeding

Many others who read here also know nothing

So should I or the many others on here who only advocate responsible breeding just post " awww poor lamb hope he gets better" and not educate you in areas where you were under the wrong impression? Should we allow you to carry on posting that the pup was indeed registered with full papers when this is clearly not the case?

Im so very happy the wee lad is on the road of recovery. I also so very glad that suddenly hes insured so cheaply and applaud your friend in having such an excellent vet that he has had time to give a full and detailed medical history to the insurers on a Saturday afternoon just hours after discharging such a sick puppy that they have been able to quote such a small premium

Im also very happy that your friends have such great store in this peice of paper that the breeder gave them saying who the sire and dam were because as previously said - that piece of paper means nothing and I could type you one up tomorrow and Im extremely happy that your friends know for certain that both sire and dam have had all health checks required by their breed to ensure that no inherent illnesses are passed on

When you ask for advice on a public forum, be prepared for answers you may not like. This is an open forum

Having just re-read what I wrote, I did not say that my friend had papers. She has no papers at all just a receipt.
    Whatever organisation the breeder is registered with doesn't come into play because the pup is a cross-breed.
    As regards your last point, you're answering questions that I did not even ask!
    My original question was: is there any recourse under any kind of Sale of Goods Act for the original owner of the puppy to be liable for the treatment of the puppy as it fell ill within less than 48 hours of being sold.
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    The insurance friend took out commonly doesn't cover any illness during the first two weeks.

Pup was bought on Tuesday, insured on Wednesday, fell ill on Thursday so your silly comment about the 'excellent vet having time to do a full history on a Saturday afternoon' is totally redundant.

Just for the record my vet (who is also now my friend's vet) is excellent. We text each other, have long chats, he knows my cats very well and wouldn't hesitate to help at any time.
  • suki1964
    Options
    The breeder not the pup is registered somewhere or other but not the KC.
    The pup isn't registered anywhere nor does it have papers.

Registered with Whom if not the KC?????

Only other place anyone would need to register with is the local council and thats only if they were a commercial breeder ( ie - puppy farmer selling to the pet shop trade or animal testing)

And once again, your friends appear to have fallen for the oldest con in the book - paying good money for a mongrel when the rescues are full of pups and dogs needing homes

Any breeder worth their weight would not be breeding mongrels for sale. Reputable breeders breed only to further the breed - ie they have prime specimens who other showers/breeders wish to purchase any offspring off. They breed a litter to satisfy demand and sell on excess or those pups which dont make the grade in terms of KC standards ( like i say - I dont agree totally with the KC)

Your friend has had a horrible time of it the past few days and i can only imagine her distress. I do wish her many many happy years with a loving pet
  • jetta_wales
    jetta_wales Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    I think you'll find the type of snooty "real breeders never breed cross's" kinda replies you've had here are just a perfect example of why the breeder your friend bought from wants nothing to do with the show breeders. Never encountered one that wasn't so far up their own behind they wouldn't know night from day. And god forbid anybody else should ever want to breed without first being accepted by them!

Lol. It was in fact the attitudes of people (usually women) like this when I was trying to find a Papillon, that made me decide to breed myself. Gave my little girl (who is a beautiful example of the breed with 11 champions in her lines) the very best of care we could and spared no expense on her or the pups.

Oh and on another note, yes you can have vaccinations from before 8 weeks. It seems to vary from vet to vet but ours said they give them from 2-4 weeks apart and from 6 weeks old. We chose to do so at 8 and 10 weeks as we didn't want them to go till 10 weeks.
    "Life is what you make of it, whoever got anywhere without some passion and ambition?
  • jetta_wales
    jetta_wales Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    Oh and as for the rescues being full of dogs who need homes, just because a person might not want to spend £500-£1000 on a pedigree dog which they don't even full rights of ownership over (since most breeders put at least one of the endorsements on their papers) doesn't mean they don't still have a right to want a small dog and ours for one has plenty of staffs etc but rarely ever has a small breed there for very long at all.

I have a Sheltie, Chihuahua cross, love him to bits, he's my extra fluffy fox :)
    "Life is what you make of it, whoever got anywhere without some passion and ambition?
  • suki1964
    Options
    I think you'll find the type of snooty "real breeders never breed cross's" kinda replies you've had here are just a perfect example of why the breeder your friend bought from wants nothing to do with the show breeders. Never encountered one that wasn't so far up their own behind they wouldn't know night from day. And god forbid anybody else should ever want to breed without first being accepted by them!

Lol. It was in fact the attitudes of people (usually women) like this when I was trying to find a Papillon, that made me decide to breed myself. Gave my little girl (who is a beautiful example of the breed with 11 champions in her lines) the very best of care we could and spared no expense on her or the pups.

Oh and on another note, yes you can have vaccinations from before 8 weeks. It seems to vary from vet to vet but ours said they give them from 2-4 weeks apart and from 6 weeks old. We chose to do so at 8 and 10 weeks as we didn't want them to go till 10 weeks.

Im so not against breeders lol

Actually Im one of the few on the forum who do advocate going to breeders for pups

But I also advocate responsible breeding. So as long as your wee lass was a prime example of her breed, that your researched the dam, that you had the health checks done on both sire and dam,had the help and advice of an experienced breeder, had homes at the ready for the pups and had them KC registered and insured then I say go for it.

What I dont advocate nor never will are people saying my pet is wonderful Im giving her a litter and just pick any dog to service her and churn out a litter of pups in the hope of making big money quick

Now people like that Im afraid I will be snotty too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport