Game Tried to Refuse return

Just walked in to Game earlier to return a headset my son had bought. The headset didn't work with his Xbox, yet others had.

The chap tried to say that we should have checked it would work. I told him (which actually was the truth) that I asked the shop assistant at the time of purchase if it would work and that he replied yes.

I started quoting fit for purchase intended etc etc and then he got his manager. Manager took one look at me, asked me one question and said, yes thats fine.

Can't believe how they argue to try and not get returns in.

Glad I studied some of this stuff at Uni now.

Comments

• OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    As you had asked if it would work you were entitled to a refund. If you hadn't asked about compatability, a refund could have been refused.
  • OlliesDad wrote: »
    As you had asked if it would work you were entitled to a refund. If you hadn't asked about compatability, a refund could have been refused.

Exactly, thats why I always ask when buying something tech based
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    For future purchases either:

1) Buy online

or

2) Buy from a retailer that has a no-fault returns policy.

• Glad I studied some of this stuff at Uni now.

Well nothing you did was actually anything to do with 'Uni study'

What exactly did your studies helped you with that a 5 second browse of the SOGA wouldnt...
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just walked in to Game earlier to return a headset my son had bought. The headset didn't work with his Xbox, yet others had.

The chap tried to say that we should have checked it would work. I told him (which actually was the truth) that I asked the shop assistant at the time of purchase if it would work and that he replied yes.

I started quoting fit for purchase intended etc etc and then he got his manager. Manager took one look at me, asked me one question and said, yes thats fine.

You mean " fit for purpose" .
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite

Depends because I know a wee bit about gaming - well, a big bit - and ultimately have dealt with more than a few customers in my time. Should have asked two basic questions:

1 - how do you connect your console to your TV?
    2 - which model of the Xbox is it, is it the slimline one or the most recent slimline one?

Now I'm not being funny here, buuuut in my experience (which was 8 years!) the vast majority of parents/guardians buying things for their kids consoles don't have a scooby doo as to the answer to either of those two questions. The problem is the second one in particular is one which causes major problems - as I said, the majority don't know one from t'other! The most recent model only has HDMI output as far as I know for the TV, meaning you can only really use a handfull of headsets - the majority of the aftermarket ones (i.e. Turtle Beach) aren't compatible.

Not excusing the inability to get it right first time, but ultimately pointing out the problem faced - no excuse for not asking those two questions though. Next time atleast clarify which model of the machine you're looking for & ideally take a picture of the back of it - then that way you're not going to misadvise someone.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    You mean " fit for purpose" .
    He means "as described".
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • Esqui wrote: »
    He means "as described".

Under the Sale of Goods Act, if the buyer states or implies to the seller that they have a particular use in mind for a product then there is an implied term in the contract that the product is reasonably fit for that purpose. So in this case it seems perfectly reasonable to say the headset is not fit for purpose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure