IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPS car park in lancaster

2»

Comments

• SodG24
    SodG24 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    It is definately a private car park. I have just spoken to the council and they advised they sold the carpark around 4-5 years ago to a private comapny who they believe employ or use UKPS from Preston to manage.

Then just ignore the "ticket" and the letters you get. The letters will get ever more threatening and may well mention legal action and bailiffs - this is intended to scare you into paying and part of the scam.

Dump the letters in the bin and continue with life as if nothing had happened.
    All aboard the Gus Bus !
  • SodG24 wrote: »
    Then just ignore the "ticket" and the letters you get. The letters will get ever more threatening and may well mention legal action and bailiffs - this is intended to scare you into paying and part of the scam.

Dump the letters in the bin and continue with life as if nothing had happened.

Many thanks for this. I will read through the other information and threads as you have suggested and then see where we go from there but at the moment you suggest doing nothing, not even appealing to them or the ombudsman? I feel a bit scared at this thought as I tend to not like confrontation so would go with the easy option and pay them. I may come back with further questions on the thread if that's ok as it would seem to me that you appear to know what you are talking about.
  • SodG24
    SodG24 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Many thanks for this. I will read through the other information and threads as you have suggested and then see where we go from there but at the moment you suggest doing nothing, not even appealing to them or the ombudsman? I feel a bit scared at this thought as I tend to not like confrontation so would go with the easy option and pay them. I may come back with further questions on the thread if that's ok as it would seem to me that you appear to know what you are talking about.

DO NOT PAY !!!! If you don't like confrontation then appealing probably isn't for you. If you did decide to do so you first have to appeal to the Private Parking Company ( PPC ). They will reject it and should give what is know as a POPLA reference. This would allow you to then appeal to the "independent" adjudicator. Note it isn't really that independent !

Please read the following ( thanks to Coupon Mad for it ! ) :

It's an unsolicited invoice. Ignore it and ignore the letters.

When dealing with "tickets" from private parking companies (PPCs) our advice is to ignore them as long as the registered keeper is you or a relative (company/hire/lease cars need a different approach). The letters are easy to ignore when they are received by someone who knows it's all hogwash and not a real parking ticket at all. The whole scam of fake PCNs relies firstly on people's ignorance of the fact that a random private company can't fine anyone, and secondly on their natural fear of parking tickets and the escalating costs/bailiff scenario (which doesn't apply, there is NO DEBT).

Quite simply, PPCs copy the look of a real parking ticket and - hey presto! - the cash rolls in from victims who know no better.

Tick off the threatening letters here.

Watchdog clip with expert Solicitor's opinion here.

Barrister's opinion here.
    All aboard the Gus Bus !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family