Cheapest (legal!) way to get new car key

Hi, everyone. Hope this is the right place to put this question.

My mother has lost the spare key for her 5-year-old Astra. It's not a hi-tech remote control one - you have to put the key in the lock and turn it. It also starts the ignition, but we are told that to do that, it probably has a microchip in it. She has been told by the main dealer that a replacement will cost upwards of £160. This seems incredible - is there nowhere which does them more cheaply?

She is of course able to prove ownership, etc.

Many thanks for any information or advice anyone is able to give.:)

Comments

• Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    5 year old Astra without remote central locking? Sounds like it's not the first time someone's lost the key....
  • Mind_the_Gap
    Mind_the_Gap Posts: 355 Forumite
    Kilty wrote: »
    5 year old Astra without remote central locking? Sounds like it's not the first time someone's lost the key....

Don't think so - she has had two keys since she bought the car 5 yrs ago from a garage which had used it for 6 months as a tester car (less than 5000 miles on clock). This is the first time she's lost either key.

Suggestion re replacement costs welcome!
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    I'd say £160 is on the pricey side but not by much, I'd expect to pay £120.

I don't know if auto locksmiths can cut/code new keys for more modern cars.

Is it one of these Astras?

opel_astra_h_facelift5.jpg
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Since i've realised how expensive a replacement key can be for the car i've been keeping mine on a piece of string around my neck whenever i go out.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 May 2011 at 8:04AM
    Providing that you can get it programmed by whoever does they key cutting this might be what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VAUXHALL-OPEL-TRANSPONDER-KEY-CORSA-ASTRA-ETC-/280665434746?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4158f6aa7a

It appears that all Astras after 2004 had remote buttons on the keys, but it's possible that the car sold to your mother was a 2004 model but which was first registered a bit later.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you have no keys, you will need to take the V5 into the dealer, which then they will order the key.

The key should arrive cut, and programmed ready to go.

Far cheaper than replacing all the locks, plus the immobilier / ecu.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Providing that you can get it programmed by whoever does they key cutting this might be what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VAUXHALL-OPEL-TRANSPONDER-KEY-CORSA-ASTRA-ETC-/280665434746?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4158f6aa7a

It appears that all Astras after 2004 had remote buttons on the keys, but it's possible that the car sold to your mother was a 2004 model but which was first registered a bit later.

You can still buy the basic key with just the immobiliser chip in it, maybe they're replacement keys that came with the car.
    Ours has one remote key, and a cheaper non remote I bought from Vauxhall.
  • Mind_the_Gap
    Mind_the_Gap Posts: 355 Forumite
    Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions and advice. Much appreciated :)

Kilty - not sure of model...I am a but challenged when it comes to cars. The whole scam over charging hundreds for a replacement key makes my blood boil, though. I cannot think it bears any relation to the cost of producing the thing.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Cost to buy the key, Code the key and erase old keys from the immobilser. Dont forget all those old & lost keys
    will still be usable on the car.

As long as i have 2 unique keys for my car i can program new keys in and block old keys. Its all in the handbook.

You can get your current key cloned for a LOT less £30 -£70. The car will think its the same key so no way to
    block it from the system.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure