Spam calls from 07953 966066

Hi, has anyone else experienced spam phone calls like this? The landline rings and when you answer you get a message quoting a mobile number and saying that you have a text message, then it says there is no message. Each time I get a call it quotes a different mobile number but when I dial 1471 every time the number which comes up is 07953 966066. How can I get these calls barred/stopped. They seem to be every saturday morning and early too. :(

Comments

• Welcome to MSE.:wave:

Check this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=297529
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 22 June 2011 at 6:28PM
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Thanks for the replies. I may be a bit naive but if this number is a known scam/nuisance number why has no-one i.e. t-mobile, b.t. or whoever done anything about having it shut down?:wink:
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2011 at 8:59PM
    Thanks for the replies. I may be a bit naive but if this number is a known scam/nuisance number why has no-one i.e. t-mobile, b.t. or whoever done anything about having it shut down?:wink:

But its not a scam its T-Mobile text to Voice mail service.
  • These are from Scot Call, a debt collection outfit. As readers say, you are then asked to phone another mobile number.
    Maybe they plan to recoup the debt they must have bought by a possible arrangement to share some of the cost of your call with the mobile phone company?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    geesey wrote: »
    These are from Scot Call, a debt collection outfit. As readers say, you are then asked to phone another mobile number.
    Maybe they plan to recoup the debt they must have bought by a possible arrangement to share some of the cost of your call with the mobile phone company?
    Please read the other links in this thread.

YOUR message may have been from Scott Call but it was merely a text message sent to your landline and converted to speech so you could receive it.

It is not a hoax or a scam or anything to worry about.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • mixie
    mixie Posts: 5 Forumite
    Had call from 07953966066 this morning (Sunday)
    Did not answer. I think this may have been mentioned already but:
    This is text to voice (BT) service. I have never asked for this to be enabled on my line!
    My line is a BT one. You can prove this by sending a text to your land line.

If you listen to the message you have sent yourself you will then hear a list of options.
    One is to ring 0800 587 5252 to change the options.
    It is not clear from the message but if you choose to change the schedule when messages are received there is an further option to turn off the service (think it is option 5)
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2012 at 6:42PM
    mixie wrote: »
    Had call from 07953966066 this morning (Sunday)
    Did not answer. I think this may have been mentioned already

Yes many times including above. Its T-Mobile,s text to voice service. Which comes into play when someone on T-Mobile texts a Landline that does not have a a text enabled landline phone.(Its not exclusive to BT).

By not listening to it you could of course be missing an important text.
  • mixie
    mixie Posts: 5 Forumite
    My mobile is 02, so it works with that network as well, probably all of them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure