PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

landlord bashing

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lots to think about.
    Give it a go. You might find you like it.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Oh, absolutely.

But not half the price, as was claimed.

And, even then, that ignores all the other costs a landlord incurs.

Where did he claim half the price?
  • AdrianC
    I don't know, that's homework, I'll have to think about it!

<g>
    Certainly all housing that is intended to be permanent, full time residences though, yes.

Intended by whom...?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    You're right about flexibility.

I do think there are people for whom renting is a better option, but I don't think private landlords should be the ones to benefit. Personally I think all rented housing should be council or HA owned rather than so many people having to gamble on individuals who range from fantastic to criminal.
    I don't think most of our tenants would want to rent from the council or a housing association. In fact one family moved out of a council house and into one of our privately rented houses. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that people who rent are people who would rent council or housing association houses if they could. The people who rent from us rent because it suits them at that time. There are a lot of people who would probably benefit from social housing but not all. A wide choice of properties is good. We are running a business where the product is living space and we have customers who are tenants. This is no different from the local supermarket that sell food. Not everyone wants to buy the cheapest loaf of bread on offer.
  • AdrianC
    Where did he claim half the price?
    At least pretend you're keeping up with the grown-ups' conversation...
    LadyL2013 wrote: »
    Ultimately something has to be done. Anyone who has been an FTB recently will tell you it is nigh on impossible to compete with cash buyers. It is then incredibly frustrating to see a house you could afford and offered over the asking pride for being let out for double what a mortgage payment would have been.
  • Crashy_Time
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry, but a link would give you much more credibility :(
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Oh, absolutely.

But not half the price, as was claimed.

And, even then, that ignores all the other costs a landlord incurs.

I suppose it depends on whether you just look at the costs on the day of purchase/move in.

If I still had the flat, say I was paying £230 now, and I'd have over 70k in equity.

The person next door would be paying £750 to live in the exact same space in the exact same location, without the equity or the security. Even if you take into account the service charge and ground rent I'd still be paying, my monthly cost to live there (before bills) is in fact less than half.

If the landlord who owned next door bought it at the same time and price I did, especially if they bought with cash, they'd be laughing all the way to the bank!
  • Crashy_Time
    At least pretend you're keeping up with the grown-ups' conversation...

So you are denying that any landlord ever got double a mortgage payment for a similar flat for rental?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    I don't think most of our tenants would want to rent from the council or a housing association. In fact one family moved out of a council house and into one of our privately rented houses. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that people who rent are people who would rent council or housing association houses if they could. The people who rent from us rent because it suits them at that time. There are a lot of people who would probably benefit from social housing but not all. A wide choice of properties is good. We are running a business where the product is living space and we have customers who are tenants. This is no different from the local supermarket that sell food. Not everyone wants to buy the cheapest loaf of bread on offer.

Social housing usually offers solid, well maintained houses at affordable rents. The only reason people don't want to live in them anymore is that there are so few and the demand so high that they tend to go to the neediest and most poverty stricken people in the country, leading to an increased level of social problems and also a fair amount of stigma.

If that wasn't the case, if all rented housing was social housing, why on earth wouldn't people want it? Why would anybody choose the extra cost, the gamble regarding landlord competency, and reduced security of private?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    <g>

Intended by whom...?

You know full well what I mean! :cool:

If its going to be an AST, its going to be someone's home. Homes are too important to be business, I think they should be in the public sector if they are not owner occupied.

I know its not popular, but that's my view!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure