Flush by 30?

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's always good to at least know the basics of the language of a country you're visiting. Good luck!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone,

it's been a minute since I last updated!

Had a much better week than last week, but my energy levels are so low... honestly, I don't know where this has come from. I'm sat here now yawning my head off. Work has been super productive, so maybe that's partially why.

Dutch is going ok, I've learned the basics now so I can say lots of things in simple present tense, like 'you have two elephants!' ...not sure how helpful that is, but it's a start.

By the way, it's 'Jullie hebben zwee oliphanten!'

Had a bit of a nightmare financially today (it's a bit complicated so please bear with):

I have to do another MA as part of my job, which means my employer is paying for it. It's a distance learning deal, which means that three times this year (once in April, once in May, once in June) I have to travel down to the university which is really far away, and stay over for a residential learning weekend. Normally, we're asked to book with that university's conference team, and stay over on campus but when I asked them for a quote for those dates they said they had no rooms available.

So, I was told today to book my hotels, but I had to do it on my (cleared!!) credit card, on the understanding that work would pay my expenses back. For all three trips it came out at £527. This was at half 2 this afternoon - I then went to do a teaching session with a group of students. That finished at half 4, and I popped back to the office to turn off my PC and grab my coat and stuff.

I noticed when I got back I had an e-mail from the conferencing team at my university. It was an apology e-mail, telling me that for TWO of my weekends (but not all three) the cost of my stay was actually included in the tuition fee, which work have already paid. My heart absolutely sank at this point, because those 2 weekends were incredibly expensive compared to the first - which suddenly made sense to me. Because I haven't paid the fees myself, I hadn't noticed the difference in fees really - but apparently for SOME of the modules, accommodation and food is included.

To be totally clear: it does not state this clearly on any of my paperwork, because I immediately checked!! Obviously I told my manager, and she panicked too and rang Finance... and they said that because of how expensive those modules are, and because accommodation IS provided in them, they won't pay my expenses for the 2nd two weekends I booked by mistake.

To make matters worse, work have this policy where you HAVE to book the cheapest rooms available if you book a hotel, which means my bookings with Premier Inn are non-refundable ones :(

AND it has now transpired that I will actually need accommodation the night before each weekend, because it's simply not possible to get to the university by train in the morning before the sessions start, and that ISN'T included in this expensive, pre-paid accommodation.

SO... I am now going to have to call the Premier Inn in the morning (already spoke to a receptionist this afternoon and she was really sweet but said she doesn't have the authority to do anything so I have to talk to her manager, who isn't in until 7am tomorrow). I am going to have to point out that I am well aware I booked non-refundable rooms, but pray she understands my position. I can claim for the first stay from work, because I really do need the room, but I have no idea about the rest of it.

At this stage even if they are willing to let me change my dates (which I shouldn't be allowed to but hoping they'll be kind) that would be amazing because I could just make my OH come for a weekend away with me or something over our anniversary... but if they say no I'm just going to have to take the £400+ hit, which obviously I really would rather not do :(

Ugh, it's too stressful :(
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Gosh what a pain. I'm sorry to hear all of that. I hope you can get some money back!!!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    We have to book the cheapest hotel rooms at work too which often means non refundable cancellations. I hope you can get this sorted out - what a nightmare :(
  • JWPopps
    Options
    Thank you Bob and SA

I couldn't sleep last night I was so worried, so I was awake at 7:30 to call the Premier Inn... and the manager was SO LOVELY, she refunded both of the problem reservations without even an argument.

I explained that I might need to book back for 2 of the nights, and she said 'wait until you've been refunded from us this time and then call back to speak to me to do it if you're worried.'

Honestly, I read so many horror stories online about Premier Inn really sticking to their guns on this policy (and to be honest, they would have been within their rights to refuse to help, because it's all there in the terms and conditions) but she was delightful. It's so lovely to have a wonderful customer service experience!!

As you can probably tell, my mood has lifted considerably: hope everyone has a lovely weekend!!

• Seasidegal58
    Options
    Whew! Im so pleased to hear that the hotel charges have been sorted out.:T

It just goes to show that there is good customer service around! And that whatever the terms and conditions state, a thoughtful kind manager has the authority to waive them!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    All's well that ends well. Great news :)
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That's great news!!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just catching up on diaries so pleased you managed to get that room sorted and think its really bad of your work to leave you with the mistake when it was not clear!
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • JWPopps
    Options
    I feel like I've been gone FOREVER!!

I was at my OH's for a bit last week and we were out and about so not much time for updates, and work has been really taking it out of me ever since... I really love my job and I love how fast the days go but I have been just about keeping my head above water in terms of keeping projects on track so when I've got home I've just about had time for a brew, a bath and bed!!

This also means my MSE-goals haven't been top priority either. I've not been terrible, I'm probably at the same place I was last month rather than being worse off, but I won't be able to make as many overpayments this month. I'm determined not to be sad about it though as my normal payments are still fine, and I've sorted Euros for my friend's Dutch wedding later this year.

Current favourite Dutch phrase: Honden houden hoeden - dogs love hats!

I hope everyone else is doing well, I'm about to go and have a (well-deserved!!) hot bath as today I have edited a novel chapter, shovelled about half a tonne of gravel out of my garden, cleaned out the rabbits, done food shopping, changed my bedding, done three loads of washing, weather-proofed the rabbit hutch and made two appointments - one for a rabbit vaccination and one for my eyes testing. I've even organised outfits for every day next week!

Tomorrow I'm hoping to catch up on everyone's diaries - I bet a lot's happened while I've been away!!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills