Conservatory fitting issue

Options

Comments

• phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Some systems do still fit from the outside. Less secure, but it's not necessarily an error....

True. There is not regulatory requirement but it is best practice and in this instance would have meant the sill and end cap could have been fitted as normal (though it would have still looked odd and been difficult to clean).
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    UPDATE:

It gets worse....The fitters are elsewhere today, but we had rain this morning and I was soon aware of a steady drip, drip, drip......That was water coming through the aluminium box gutter the point where it's welded.
    DSCF0268.jpg

It had to be welded by a third party on-site, due to its size. (about 10m) We provided a dry barn for that.

Anyway, I presume they will try to 'solve' this with a bit of silicone so I'll tell them that's unacceptable. There's no point in having a solid ally gutter costing about £1k if it relies on a bit of silicone. Right? It needs re-welding. Should be interesting!

But that's not all.... The roof pitch is about 5 degrees, and that seems too low for the roof vents they've chosen, because water is pooling-up behind and on them. A design flaw IMO. They chose the roof pitch. A box gutter gives them a choice.

DSCF0275.jpg

So, also unacceptable. Yes?

Meanwhile, I've brought in the real heavyweight negotiator of the family. She's spoken to their surveyor today about that duff corner and told him we'll get an independent report on the whole thing, especially that, because we think he's bull$h1tting.

It's a shame, because the fitters are basically good guys who are trying hard and being careful, but they've been let down by a surveyor & management who don't seem to have a clue.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd have to say the weld needs ... welding, and silicone would not be at all appropriate. I'm not sure about the angle, but five degrees sounds ridiculously shallow. I have something on that from the huge lean-to I had put up in Kent, as they were struggling to get long, strong sheets that would work at a shallow angle. I always avoid asking for any roof windows or bars, as they are always a difficulty. But, if you want them, they should work.

I'm guessing it wasn't a torrential downpour either!

It's a shame to have to go through an independent survey, as it tends to put backs up and noses out of joint, and you get the minimum necessary to satisfy the surveyor. However, if you've reached an impasse, that's the best solution.

I would certainly want that corner sorted.... but... it is shown that way on the plan, and they will use that as an excuse.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    You are the stage to ask serious questions about everything. Do you have the correct colour and manufacturer of glass? Is the toughened and laminated where it should be? Is the roof glazed with what you specified?

Then consider the defective roof. There will be technical guidance available but you need to know who manufactured the roof. For example is it Ultraframe, or is it using their profiles but sub contracted out? (Ultraframe do site visits and would be an ally but they are not answerable to you. They will only become involved if the conservatory company calls them out.)

You have my sympathies on all this - I am going through much the same at a site location about 150 miles from you. For your sake I hope it is not the same conservatory manufacturer!
  • Davesnave
    edited 8 December 2016 at 6:32PM
    Options

It's a shame to have to go through an independent survey, as it tends to put backs up and noses out of joint, and you get the minimum necessary to satisfy the surveyor. However, if you've reached an impasse, that's the best solution.

I would certainly want that corner sorted.... but... it is shown that way on the plan, and they will use that as an excuse.
    We'll have to go through the usual complaints procedure, I expect; first to the company, and if they can't satisfy us, then through mediation via the GGF. They claim to be impartial, but I remain to be convinced of that.

We might bring in a truly independent surveyor, but at present I'm not sure where we'd find one. It's unlikely a local person related to the trade would want the job!

The corner was as it is when the surveyor measured up, although he tried to imply today that we'd changed it.They had the sill made with a right angled turn, in one piece, then realised their mistake on site, sawed it up and tried to present a fait accomplis, by whacking the windows in quickly.

I cannot see why a straight sill couldn't be used. It wouldn't project over the adjacent window at all. As for this bodge being on the plan....where?
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    You are the stage to ask serious questions about everything. Do you have the correct colour and manufacturer of glass? Is the toughened and laminated where it should be? Is the roof glazed with what you specified? The roof glazing was all made by a small firm in Gloucestershire. It's labelled as toughened glass with Celcius Blue in one pane and Clear in the other. The firm have been trading for many years.
    Then consider the defective roof. There will be technical guidance available but you need to know who manufactured the roof. For example is it Ultraframe, or is it using their profiles but sub contracted out? (Ultraframe do site visits and would be an ally but they are not answerable to you. They will only become involved if the conservatory company calls them out.) The UPVC profiles I've seen labelled are Duraflex.
    The roof lights are a Brett Martin product. I haven't found a spec sheet yet.
    You have my sympathies on all this - I am going through much the same at a site location about 150 miles from you. For your sake I hope it is not the same conservatory manufacturer!
    I won't mention the company's name yet, but their initials begin and end with a W. They have been trading for 35 years, but they will only be as good as their current surveyor/fitters.

I have tried hard to head-off problems but communication, paperwork etc has been dire. They couldn't supply me a correct email address for their surveyor, as they couldn't spell his name.

Yesterday, I was asked why we hadn't clad the fascias ready for the fitting of the company's guttering to the rest of the building's rear elevation. My answer was simple: no one had explained that we should!

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure it wouldn't project out over the window? I guess you are! :D

I suppose the point I find most unsatisfactory is having the sill meet the corner without fitting against some form of pillar. I think any other solution looks like an on-site quick fix. The plan posted in #5 does appear to show the sill projecting over glass and, if anything, a complete absence of upright on the right hand side. It doesn't have a slice taken out, that's for sure!

I have had five conservatories done for me over the years. Knock out two, one was small and simple, the other posh. The three remaining ones all had minor problems in fitting - need for covering slip the length of the house wall join, additional plinth for step, doors that caught sills when latched fully open - but the fitters resolved all these and more on-site and to my satisfaction. Months later, I'd have been pushed to spot them, and a visitor wouldn't.

I do feel that outward corner is a bu66er, and a good surveyor should/would have highlighted all sorts of issues. Personally, without a wider pillar or spacer, I can't see it working.

DGCOS (or something) do use surveyors, and I do believe they are pretty impartial, from a neighbour's problems. Not sure about GGF.

It always ends up a stressful faff, doesn't it?
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PVC Polycarbonate roof vents are suitable for a new installation of a polycarbonate roof or ... Fit to new or existing roofs with a minimum pitch of ten degrees
    ref;http://www.polycarbonatesheets.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d80.html
    not sure if its the same ?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Are you sure it wouldn't project out over the window? I guess you are! :D

I suppose the point I find most unsatisfactory is having the sill meet the corner without fitting against some form of pillar. I think any other solution looks like an on-site quick fix. The plan posted in #5 does appear to show the sill projecting over glass and, if anything, a complete absence of upright on the right hand side. It doesn't have a slice taken out, that's for sure!I
    There is a pillar there and no the sill doesn't project like that.

Remember that diagram was theirs and totally inaccurate. The proportions of the porch are all wrong. You can see I've drawn their attention to that and added some lines to show there are two windows, not one, to the right of the door as we're looking at it.

I don't think they can rely on that diagram for anything at all. Anyone used to CAD design would laugh at it.
  • Davesnave
    edited 8 December 2016 at 11:22PM
    Options
    prosaver wrote: »
    Well it's similar. I have the product fitting sheet, but I've not had a chance to Google it fully yet. They're Brett Martin Marvent Lp, but the company search has a fault on the web site for that product. Grr!

I note the 'minimum pitch of ten degrees' on that link. Thanks.
    To be completely honest, I'm not really sure of he roof pitch yet, but I'm convinced it's not enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure