Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    scubaangel wrote: »
    The plan is that my Dad will drive the hire van down, with the big stuff and my step dad will follow in his smaller van with anything which doesnt fit (although I suspect pretty much everything should fit), but I do think it'll take two strong people to get the stuff upstairs because of the spiral staircase meaning it won't be as simple as just carrying bigger stuff up.

Tight staircases can be a nightmare. I've rejected rentals in the past because the staircase was a nightmare and I have a *big* bed. It may easily dismantle into planks and two end-pieces - but they are still *big* bits of wood.
    That said I think the mattress is going to be the biggest problem item since the bed frame will be in pieces

What size bed?

It may be worth buying a couple of cheap ratchet straps and using them to squish your mattress up (when you get there) into a more manoeuvrable "swiss roll". With a mattress, it's not only the weight, but the bulk too.
    and I've decided not to wrestle with dismantling the Ikea chest of drawers I bought when I moved home and just buy new ones to build in place - the debate at the moment is if I should ask my step dad to go to Ikea with me so I can get them before I go or order for delivery - no point me going for them myself as they wouldn't fit in the Fiesta, so absolutely no chance in the KA!

Do the seats not drop?
    I'm not imaginative, I like to be comfortable. :p

That's the good thing about imagination. You can use it to be comfortable, but also "not comfortable"... ;)
    Plans for after? You mean there's an after?!? No I think I'll worry about after when I know when after should start.

It's not something to worry about, but something to look forward to.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It's open enough that we can lift the end pieces fairly easily, but like you say the weight of the mattress is why it's at least a two person job. The one I want to take is the king size that I had in the house and the flat but I'll take the smaller ikea bed as well just in case.

Step Dad has ratchett straps so that shouldn't be a problem.

They do but the car just isnt long/wide/tall enough to get the boxes in and for me to sit in it and drive - could just get the box in to the Fiesta but was a pain to drive as the seat had to be quite along way forward - even for me.

You know what I mean, I can plan the after when I have an idea of when I'll be getting there. If nothing else this last 18 months has shown me that even if I make plans I have a habit of letting life change them rather drastically!
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • ZTD
    It's open enough that we can lift the end pieces fairly easily, but like you say the weight of the mattress is why it's at least a two person job. The one I want to take is the king size that I had in the house

Starfish!
    and the flat but I'll take the smaller ikea bed as well just in case.

You going to try to get more guests round?
    Step Dad has ratchett straps so that shouldn't be a problem.

They do but the car just isnt long/wide/tall enough to get the boxes in and for me to sit in it and drive - could just get the box in to the Fiesta but was a pain to drive as the seat had to be quite along way forward - even for me.

Yeah, I'm used to big cars (which is why this one doesn't sit that well with me) - in the previous one, managed to get a set of extension ladders into the car. Ran all the way from the glove box (which I couldn't open) to the very back of the boot - but they fit.
    You know what I mean, I can plan the after when I have an idea of when I'll be getting there. If nothing else this last 18 months has shown me that even if I make plans I have a habit of letting life change them rather drastically!

Yes, plans never survive unscathed, which is why I try to have them fast and loose (try the same for my women, but that doesn't work out either... ;) ).

Whatever way, you sound a lot happier these days than you have for months - so that's a change to celebrate. :T
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Nope, but the house I had with my ex was two bedrooms so we had two beds, so will take both - hopefully the bigger one will go up ok if not the smaller one will do and I'll buy a better mattress for it (we bought the cheapest mattress at the time as it was for the guest room).

Funny how fast and loose women aren't good for anything planned.....

I am, its been a tough few weeks with dealing with my friend leaving the country while I was on her sofa, all the uncertainty over where I'd be living and the car. But I've been so much happier at work, and around my friends out of work. Just need to get the house organised and I can start the 'social life' stuff, apparently theres a running club based from the village I'm moving to, and a few places for open water swimming as well as a decent pool in the nearest town to me (and thanks to my slightly random shifts I can go swim during the day when it's quieter).
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Nope, but the house I had with my ex was two bedrooms so we had two beds, so will take both - hopefully the bigger one will go up ok if not the smaller one will do and I'll buy a better mattress for it (we bought the cheapest mattress at the time as it was for the guest room).

537e6e40ad435630035534.jpg
    Funny how fast and loose women aren't good for anything planned.....

Well you know...hope springs eternal and all that...

So what kind should I be going for? Apart from the blind ones... ;)
    I am, its been a tough few weeks with dealing with my friend leaving the country while I was on her sofa, all the uncertainty over where I'd be living and the car. But I've been so much happier at work, and around my friends out of work. Just need to get the house organised and I can start the 'social life' stuff, apparently theres a running club based from the village I'm moving to, and a few places for open water swimming as well as a decent pool in the nearest town to me (and thanks to my slightly random shifts I can go swim during the day when it's quieter).

That should be good. Just be wary during school time as some pools rent themselves out to the local school. You don't want to be up to the armpits in urchins.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Some days I would probably sleep on that without noticing it's not a level surface!

No point asking me about women, I fear I come under the category of fast and loose women myself (or did before I became the hermit type). Although while staying with my friend we did establish that my 'type' as far as men go is breathing, and human (visually).

It looks like the differences in the pool time tables between holidays and term time is that in the holidays the pool is close to adult swims more often for open and play swim sessions. But I'll go look in to the timetable properly when I head south again, as well as trying to work out some vaguely flatish running routes which dont mean driving to the forest and paying to park (the down side of living in the Surrey Hills...its just not very flat).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Some days I would probably sleep on that without noticing it's not a level surface!

Oh no, I like a comfortable bed. I was spending Christmas at my parents', but the bed they have is like granite without the give. After 4 hours sleep per night, I've had to come home. I shall be returning for New Year, but I will be taking an extra topper I think.
    No point asking me about women, I fear I come under the category of fast and loose women myself (or did before I became the hermit type). Although while staying with my friend we did establish that my 'type' as far as men go is breathing, and human (visually).

:rotfl:

"He's not breathing!"
    "Strike him off the list then."
    "Should we try CPR?"
    "Was that the blond?"

Sorry. That just popped in my head there...
    It looks like the differences in the pool time tables between holidays and term time is that in the holidays the pool is close to adult swims more often for open and play swim sessions. But I'll go look in to the timetable properly when I head south again, as well as trying to work out some vaguely flatish running routes which dont mean driving to the forest and paying to park (the down side of living in the Surrey Hills...its just not very flat).

I take it that you're not into hill running? Have you had a look at the Sustrans cycleway maps? They have cycle routes which, being ex-railways usually, are often on the flat.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    I can sleep pretty much anywhere and contorted in to a variety of spaces, means I rarely get off a flight, train or coach without having had a nice nap as well as reading at least one ebook. :D

Although given the choice I'll always go with a comfy bed - hence wanting the bigger bed with the memory foam mattress instead of the smaller cheaper one.

Sadly it does sound rather familiar. :rotfl:

I don't mind it occasionally but I do muchly prefer flatish routes - given my family are on the edge of the Pennines I'm not exactly unfamilar with unlevel surfaces - but we have plenty of reservoirs around which have fairly flat paths around them.

I've a couple of walkers books and an OS map of the area at the house so will dig those out and use them as a start point (two of the pub walks start at pubs in the village so thats two 5 mile routes straightaway as they're the ones which claim to be wheelchair/buggy friendly). Must admit I'd not thought to look at the sustrans maps, there are a fair few cycle route signs about though so worth checking.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    I can sleep pretty much anywhere and contorted in to a variety of spaces, means I rarely get off a flight, train or coach without having had a nice nap as well as reading at least one ebook. :D

That's a talent to keep hold of. I'm not a fantastic sleeper - certainly not like that.
    Although given the choice I'll always go with a comfy bed - hence wanting the bigger bed with the memory foam mattress instead of the smaller cheaper one.

Yes. Good big bed, with comfortable mattress and warm, soft, comfortable bedding. I take the attitude of if I can't be decadent, then who can? ;)
    I don't mind it occasionally but I do muchly prefer flatish routes - given my family are on the edge of the Pennines I'm not exactly unfamilar with unlevel surfaces - but we have plenty of reservoirs around which have fairly flat paths around them.

Do you find the hills are hard on your knees, or do you dislike them for some other reason?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    I hope I do keep the talent, it makes travelling so much easier to nod off and skip chunks of otherwise boring time/time when the annoying person in a neighbouring seat might want to talk (often my sister or in the past my boyfriends).

Exactly, I think my friends know my thoughts on the subject as they bought me a satin quilt cover set as a housewarming pressie - I fear I'll spend half my time sliding out of bed but it looks good and has good reviews, so am looking forward to getting it on to a bed.

I dislike them because I'm lazy, and a usually finding it hard to breathe when I'm at the bottom of them never mind half way up. I think I've mentioned my utter inability to get a proper breathing rhythm going when running before, no matter how often I run it never seems to improve.

Had a look at sustrans, looks like the cycle routes are almost all on road - national route 22, which isnt ideal for running since the roads very rarely have pavements, or even two well defined 'sides' to them.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills