IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW Legal - No parking fine letters received

Options
holly_p
holly_p Posts: 20 Forumite
Hi

I don't know if anyone will be able to help me.

Basically I have received a letter from BW Legal stating that Vehicle Control Services Limited have instructed them to collect a balance for a PCN, currently £160. However, this is the first I have heard about this fine as I moved address. I sent off my log book to change the address but after having contacted DVLA it was never received and therefore my old address was what they must of sent the PCN's to, I have requested a new log book at the cost of £25. My licence was correct with my new address so I have attempted to change both. BW Legal somehow had my new address and have basically said it is my fault and nothing can be done. I have asked for copies of the original PCN's to check the address. If I'd of had the letters to the correct address the driver would of paid within the set time or appealed but wasn't given the chance to.

Any advice?

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    First question, you say you would have paid within the set time limit, what do you mean by this?
    did you fail to pay in a pay and display car park, and the amount you say you would have paid would have been the advertised rate ( ie £1.50/hour)?

Do you know where/whos car park this was?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • holly_p
    edited 13 March 2017 at 6:22PM
    Options
    Yes but as it was late at night in November signs weren't noticed and it was assumed that it was a council carpark where it was free after 6pm (drivers mistake). The car park is Smyth Street in Wakefield, and is now £4.50 for a full day.

Normally with a fine you receive a PCN letter stating to pay around £60 within 28 days or are given the chance to appeal.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should take a read of the sticky thread, as get an understanding of the difference between a fine and a parking charge notice.

How long ago was the original charge issued?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • holly_p
    Options
    I know that technically it's not a fine, it's more of a penalty, is that correct?

And it happened November 2016.
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    holly_p wrote: »
    I know that technically it's not a fine, it's more of a penalty, is that correct?

Well unofficially it's a penalty. Officially it's a charge for parking when parked other than in accordance with the terms and conditions offered by the signage.

Only proper authorities such as the courts or police can issue fines/ penalties. Private companies/individuals can only give you an invoice. That's what you've received - a speculative invoice!
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I actually wonder if this is nov 2016?

the timing inc the involvement of (probably) DR+ seems very fast

OP , please can you answer the following
    1: date (you think) incident took place
    2: date you moved from your old house

more questions will follow
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • holly_p
    edited 13 March 2017 at 6:23PM
    Options
    It was around the 28th November 2016.
    Keeper moved house August 2016.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ticket issued
    It was around the 28th November 2016.
    VCS write to you 10-14 days , giving you 28 days to reply

this takes it to early jan they then pass it on to DR+ (etc) who then write several times , over a couple of mths timespan , then to zenith (2 mths again ) , who then hand it back to vcs , who contact BW

I still suspect this is a historic claim (5-6 yrs ago?)

have you had sight of the ticket ?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • holly_p
    edited 20 May 2018 at 6:43PM
    Options
    Keeper has only had the car since July 2016 and is the first owner. the Keeper never received tickets or letters as they sent them to the wrong address. Keeper got the BW legal letter as they said they got the keeper's correct address through something along the lines of equifax, not sure if that's the right one. Keeper has asked for proof of postage from them and have asked for copies of all letters they've sent the keeper as keeper has never received anything.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 March 2017 at 10:08PM
    Options
    holly_p wrote: »
    I've only had the car since July 2016 and I am the first owner. The only time I've ever parked there was November 2016. I've never received tickets or letters as they sent them to the wrong address. I've got the BW legal letter as they said they got my correct address through something along the lines of equifax, not sure if that's the right one. I've asked for proof of postage from them and have asked for copies of all letters they've sent me as I've never received anything.

Equifax and similar are credit reference agencies so which company did they state ?
    How would they match your new address with your reg number if not via the DVLA ?

BWLegal's failure to provide information is in your favour if it goes to court as they have to prove their claim

The courts have got wise to BWLegal now

PS ... could you please edit the header to BWLegal so others with similar problems can relate to.
    You do this using advance edit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport