Any train promotion codes out there?

Options

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Am I reading that right? £37.40 all in for all 4 of us? If so that would be fantastic! Off to check the train times now....
    Almost.

You still need to get a Friends and Family Railcard. At £19.50 from the link that Livingthedream provided earlier.
  • mintymoneysaver
    Options
    I found them quite easily, thanks to your help, and it's great to know that that price is valid till we go. You've been really helpful, thanks! Off to order my railcard now.....
  • sallytheteamonkey
    Options
    Hello

I need to get to Inverness from London for Christmas. Looking to travel on 23rd Dec and return anytime from 27th - 28th or open return. One of us has a young persons railcard. The cheapest I can find it trainline with £207 return for both tickets. Does anyone know of a cheaper fare? I would very much appreciate it if you do!

Thank you

Sally
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2009 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Hello

I need to get to Inverness from London for Christmas. Looking to travel on 23rd Dec and return anytime from 27th - 28th or open return. One of us has a young persons railcard. The cheapest I can find it trainline with £207 return for both tickets. Does anyone know of a cheaper fare? I would very much appreciate it if you do!

Thank you

Sally

Just had a look on the NXEC website and the cheapest at the moment is £126 Return 23 Dec back 27/28 Dec
    2x Adults 1 with YP RC (£45.65 Virgin Advance Single and £81.25 NXEC Advance Single) but the Virgin West Coast Advance tickets are not out yet for after Xmas day. If you can wait a bit longer you could get 2x £45.65 Advance Singles, this is a bit of a gamble as advance tickets over Xmas do and will sellout quick, I'll leave you to make that choice.

And please don't buy from trainline.com as they charge you fees, use a Train companies website any will do.

**Late Edit** Another option if your stuggling with timing once Virgin release their Cheap advance tickets, is in the advance options or more options of your train search engine put 'via Glasgow' which, however,does mean a 10min walk/ Free bus from Glasgow Central to Glasgow Queens St
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • sallytheteamonkey
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much! That is brilliant, I will definetely book that. Thanks for your help it's really appreciated. I have just save about £90 :beer:
  • jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    National Express East Coast (NXEC) has re-launched its zones offer: valid for all services operated by NXEC up the east coast mainine, between London King's Cross and Peterborough, Grantham, Doncaster, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness and intermediate stations.

You must book through this page: http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/zones
    Book one-way tickets by 19 October for travel between 2 November and 17 December.

Having divided the country into four zones for our fares offer, we’ve decided to keep it that way. Our great value fares for travelling in zones went down so well, that we’re running them again.

Book by 19 October and you can buy a Zone Fare for Standard Class travel on selected routes from just £6. Travel can be anytime between 2 November and 17 December 2009. The price of your ticket will depend on how many zones you cross…

Travel within one zone – tickets from £6*
    Travel across two zones – tickets from £9*
    Travel across three zones – tickets from £12*
    Travel across four zones – tickets from £15*

To see where you can go and what your ticket will cost, look at the zones marked out on the map. Then download your voucher before you book online.
  • NikkiP_2
    NikkiP_2 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    some of the savings on here are fantastic but I'm still a bit lost when checking out the train sites !!

Can anyone help, please

Going from Dundee to Aberystwith and back, leaving on either friday 23rd or saturday 24th and staying a week.
  • KeithP
    Options
    NikkiP wrote: »
    some of the savings on here are fantastic but I'm still a bit lost when checking out the train sites !!

Can anyone help, please

Going from Dundee to Aberystwith and back, leaving on either friday 23rd or saturday 24th and staying a week.
    That's really tricky.
    The Off Peak return fare is £123.20.
    There are not many Advance tickets available.
    If you work very hard at split ticketing, you may be able to find a less than £5 saving.

If you are elegible for a railcard then get one.
  • little-miss-little
    Options
    Hi, i'm getting a bit flustered and confused.

I need to get 2 tickets from Wigan (or somewhere in the northwest) to Edinburgh on the 18th November returning on the 20th.
    Does anyone know of any good deals and whats the best price i should be looking for?

Thanks in advance!
    LML
  • KeithP
    Options
    Hi, i'm getting a bit flustered and confused.

I need to get 2 tickets from Wigan (or somewhere in the northwest) to Edinburgh on the 18th November returning on the 20th.
    Does anyone know of any good deals and whats the best price i should be looking for?

Thanks in advance!
    LML
    LML, what have you found so far?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills