Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moosetastic
    • By moosetastic 2nd Jan 17, 2:32 PM
    • 1,176Posts
    • 2,169Thanks
    moosetastic
    DRO ending - what happens now?
    • 2nd Jan 17, 2:32 PM
    DRO ending - what happens now? 2nd Jan 17 at 2:32 PM
    Happy new year everyone.

My DRO will be 1 year on 6th January. Can someone fill me in with what happens now. Do I get any kind of paperwork or can creditors contact me at all now? Sorry for the ignorance. Many thanks in advance
    You're so very special, I wish I was special

Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 2nd Jan 17, 4:42 PM
    • 10,932 Posts
    • 8,148 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 2nd Jan 17, 4:42 PM
    • 2nd Jan 17, 4:42 PM
    Four days to go till your debts are gone then.

No you do not get anything from the DRO Team. However your entry on the insolvency register will change to show that the moratorium period has completed. It will stay like that for 3 months before disappearing completely.

So in that period it's worth printing a copy (copies?) to show to anyone who tries to pursue a debt that was in your DRO. You also need to keep the original letter you got when the DRO started (the Debtors Notice).

The other thing it will be worth doing is to get copies of all 3 credit reports to check that defaults have been registered on or before the date of your DRO, if you haven't already done that.
    • moosetastic
    • By moosetastic 2nd Jan 17, 10:06 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 2,169 Thanks
    moosetastic
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2nd Jan 17, 10:06 PM
    This is great thank you. Got them all printed and all together. So the DRO unit don't tell you its all over then? Can I ask for anything to show it's ended?

• fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 4th Jan 17, 11:02 AM
    • 10,932 Posts
    • 8,148 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 4th Jan 17, 11:02 AM
    • 4th Jan 17, 11:02 AM
    From the latest newsletter:

We are not sure if everyone is aware of this, but the team do not automatically send a letter to the debtor when the DRO moratorium has ended. We will send one if specifically requested by the debtor after the one year has expired.
    In practice you shouldn't need one as the creditors will be aware of the DRO and the timescale. Any uncertainty can be proved by you (or them) printing off a copy of the register entry in that 3-month window.

But ultimately, if you need a letter, the DRO Team can generate one.
    • alltaken
    • By alltaken 4th Jan 17, 12:09 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    alltaken
    • 4th Jan 17, 12:09 PM
    • 4th Jan 17, 12:09 PM
    You can also send the team an email via the address below, requesting a confirmation of discharge letter that will be emailed back as a PDF.

DRO.Unit@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk
    • moosetastic
    • By moosetastic 4th Jan 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 2,169 Thanks
    moosetastic
    • 4th Jan 17, 2:22 PM
    • 4th Jan 17, 2:22 PM
    Thank you both, this is great. I think I'm just worrying about getting people phoning me up again but hopefully now I can settle. I'll email them and get a letter. Thank you

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Jan 17, 10:04 PM
    • 11,147 Posts
    • 10,821 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 4th Jan 17, 10:04 PM
    • 4th Jan 17, 10:04 PM
    Thank you both, this is great. I think I'm just worrying about getting people phoning me up again but hopefully now I can settle. I'll email them and get a letter. Thank you
    Originally posted by moosetastic
    Just remember that you have continued legal protection from all your creditors whose debts were included in your DRO.

So if you are contacted by a DCA sometime in the future that's bought one of your old debts, you know how to deal with them.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • moosetastic
    • By moosetastic 5th Jan 17, 8:44 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 2,169 Thanks
    moosetastic
    • 5th Jan 17, 8:44 PM
    • 5th Jan 17, 8:44 PM
    That's great thank you ☺

• Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 10th Jan 17, 2:02 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    • 10th Jan 17, 2:02 PM
    • 10th Jan 17, 2:02 PM
    I took a copy of my discharge entry on the insolvency register website and used it when I was still contacted by debt collectors who'd bought my debt without knowing they couldn't get anything from me.

Mine finished over two years ago now.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • moosetastic
    • By moosetastic 11th Jan 17, 10:09 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 2,169 Thanks
    moosetastic
    Thanks Lucy I've got it all printed off so if any does get in touch then I'll just do that.

• alltaken
    • By alltaken 12th Jan 17, 10:20 AM
    • 430 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    alltaken
    Lucy5781 if you haven't already and moosetastic for future use:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=677875

Clearing up your credit file not only has the benefit of resolving outstanding accounts, it also stops the debt being sold or passed over to another collections company. Having the notice of discharge letter/print out of discharge from the IS website helps when they write or show up at the door, but resolving your credit file is key.
    • moosetastic
    • By moosetastic 12th Jan 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 2,169 Thanks
    moosetastic
    Thank you alltaken I shall keep this in mind for future use. When will I best to do this?

• alltaken
    • By alltaken 14th Jan 17, 11:38 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    alltaken
    I would wait for 8 weeks to enable any former creditors to amend records accordingly. Very often creditors do not update without some sort of interaction beforehand, in my experience, and from the comments made in various threads on this board, but allow sometime if you wish to be optimistic.
    Last edited by alltaken; 14-01-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    • The-Joker
    • By The-Joker 20th Jan 17, 2:55 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    The-Joker
    You don't really need to do anything, just wait
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
    • alltaken
    • By alltaken 20th Jan 17, 5:53 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    alltaken
    Wait for what?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,997Posts Today

7,994Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin