PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Wow, Meg, i am impressed with how far you can stretch your chicken! I thought i was doing well when mine stretched 3 meals each (there are 3 of us, so 9 meals in total)!

I am still in July at the moment, but am happy to stay at £65 a week again in August please. This month will be my 1st full month working, and I am dreading the wait for my tax credits to be processed. I hope it's not too long!

Have a great day everyone :)
  • Maitane
    Maitane Posts: 360 Forumite
    Another little spend today but not the greatest - I popped to the shop across from the bus stop and picked up a loaf when really, I should have been organised and gone to the Polish shop that sells beautiful bread for half the price. Still, some goes in the freezer at work for breakfast at work.
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • girlatplay
    girlatplay Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello. Could I join for August please? I have quickly read through the earlier posts and I will go back and read more thoroughly afterwards, I am just keen to get this post up before I chicken out.

I will be doing an inventory of the cupboards and fridge/freezer sometime this week to try to get a grip on things.

My budget is £40 per week and I would like start on 31st July and end 27th August so month's budget will be £160. This is what I aim for each week/month at the moment and sometimes I spend less but sometimes I spend more. I really want to get it to that as a maximum, not an average.

Thank you everyone.
    Mortgage at 12/07/2022 = £175,000
    Mortgage today = £166,457.86
    300 282 payments to go.
    House buyout fund £3,261.67/£40,000
    Random Pick Fridays = £80.01
  • Hello all! Target of £250 for August will start on Friday. OH gets paid on the 28th of each month but as it's a Sunday, he gets paid early. It's a good thing and a bad thing as it means we have extra days of August to get into the budget! I'm sure we can do it. Been looking on some other threads for some cheap recipe ideas so I will work my shop around that. It's also OH's birthday on the 11th so I've got to work in a nice meal into the months budget. I would take it out of the birthday/christmas budget but would rather keep it in the GC. Haven't even thought about what his present will be! oops! xxx

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • Hello all

Well have decided to stick to £200 for August even though I have gone over for July (very hot = lots of ice lollies and salad stuff:)).

Am also aiming to venture out in search of YS bargains on a regular basis so possibly not so many NSDs but cheaper spending.

Here's to a good August for all.

Thanks to everyone.

AFB
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Wow, Meg, i am impressed with how far you can stretch your chicken! I thought i was doing well when mine stretched 3 meals each (there are 3 of us, so 9 meals in total)!

I am still in July at the moment, but am happy to stay at £65 a week again in August please. This month will be my 1st full month working, and I am dreading the wait for my tax credits to be processed. I hope it's not too long!

Have a great day everyone . :)

It was a bigger chicken than I would normally buy and I didnt think to take note of the weight. I have another one is the freezer so could check but its buried well down and I dare not try to get it as will never manage to get everything back in

The amount of meat I got off it really suprised me and I think it helped that I processed the whole thing at once and didnt put in the fridge to pick at like I would usually do. Also using the meat slicer made a big difference to how many slices I got.

Hoping your tax credits are sorted promptly for you.
    Slimming World at target
  • sugarpuss27
    sugarpuss27 Posts: 219 Forumite
    Hi All, I am going to stick to 170.00 please and my month will run from the 1st Aug. Really pleased with July and so thought I would give it a go. May be a bit more as have respite for a week in August but would rather try to work to it.
    With Our Thoughts. We make our world - Buddha
    Extra payment every week challenge* 27/04/15 £10.00 Total £1975.18
    CC OCT 14 4422.18/3122.18 = balance 1290.00:T
    Weight loss 2 stone 9 1/2 :
  • ipie
    ipie Posts: 25 Forumite
    Am going to put down for £500 foe august starting today till 29th August. Hoping to try and stock pile a few bargains if I can hopefully now i have a bit more time as am not spending hours doing the school run! Have spent £59 so far attempting to fill my freezer up the price of food has just gone ridiculous, Probably a trip to aldi for fresh meat and veg tomorrow ! Am off to menu plan like mad I need to get super serious on this food budget!
  • Lolkat
    Lolkat Posts: 35 Forumite
    Please could you put me down for £250 in August as I'm starting it now. I've been away for ages and we have nothing much in.
    Grocery Challenge January 2013 282/300
    Grocery Challenge February 2013 195/200
    Grocery Challenge March 2013 50.08/200

• Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Spent on Nectarines + Butternut Squas - Ald. SS. Also got some milk £2.38.
    We had HM Pie + roasted Butternut Squash + carrots/onions/peas for dinner.
    I also made 2 Quiches.
    [IMG][/img]Tuesdaysdinner_zps3bf51f9e.jpg

[IMG][/img]2Quiches_zps4cf9d958.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 242/190
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £42.50/£100 NSD - 73
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts