Is this real? Or scam?

I received this email today and wondered does anyone know if it's genuine? I only enter comps from MSE and can't find any record of hotelbono on site, which is the return address. I have not clicked on the 'activate my to win' link as I don't want to unleash a virus.

Hi Suzie,

It's confirmed!!

Your participation in the draw we sponsor has given you the chance to win your first prize: "An Apple product, choose betweeen an iMac, an iPad or an iPhone 5"

Please, activate your chance to win by clicking on the following link:

Activate my chance to win

The Bonotour sales and reservation department would like to congratulate and give you the warmest welcome to Bonotour.

Regards,

Head of Reservations

Can anyone advise please
Thank you

Comments

• mell
    mell Posts: 877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would be cautious as I have never received a WEM that I had to click to activate. Hope I am wrong x
  • wooohooo
    wooohooo Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would say spam as Ive never heard of "clicking on a link" to activate a win x
    Jan 2020 Kitten cross stitching
  • starrybee
    starrybee Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Activate your chance to win seems scammy to me.

Is Suzie the correct name though? Normally emails like this wouldn't have your name in.

You could email Bonotour via their website (they seem to be a travel company of some sort) to see if it's genuine?
  • has given you the chance to win your first prize:

Chance - stay clear
    Latest Wins: Teabags 09/01;LEGO 16/09;Fishing Rig 16/09; Salts and Cookbook 04/09; Footie Tickets 02/09; Rioballs 10/08
    Biggest Wins: Yorkshire Break £1,500; £500 Vouchers; France Trip
  • TheMoneypit
    TheMoneypit Posts: 4,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Any email which says "has given you the chance to win" is spam.
    If you had won it would say so. I'd give it a wide berth.

Hope this helps
    Prize fund 2024. £100 Prize Fund 2023 £109
  • Thanks for your comments, they echo what I initially thought. The email heading is, 'We have a surprise for you!' which could come across as a veiled threat really if the surprise is a virus or malware attack :rotfl: I think I'll give this one a miss.
  • Annaeliz
    Annaeliz Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I received the same today and searched on here before clicking anything, must be a scam! :-(

Hi Anna,

It's confirmed!!

Your participation in the draw we sponsor has given you the chance to win your first prize: "An Apple product, choose betweeen an iMac, an iPad or an iPhone 5"

Please, activate your chance to win by clicking on the following link:

Activate my chance to win

The Bonotour sales and reservation department would like to congratulate and give you the warmest welcome to Bonotour.

Regards,

Head of Reservations
    2020 wins: Petsafe Smart Feeder, Family ticket to Hot Wheels Monster Trucks Live, Iconic Mascara, Maleficent DVD, Hemline Thimble Desk Organiser, Product of the Year Goody Bag, Inside Soap £50, Florette Salad, Midway DVD, Red Dwarf Bluray, Sponsor a Swan, Cosmo Subscription, Lavendar Plants, Core Balance Dome Balance Trainer, Yoga Fitness Mat, TV Choice £200
  • scam I get this email at least once a week
  • I also got this email so its still happening there is an extra part which is this. Don't click either one my friend Mandy, got this a week before and click bottom link and got viuses and hacked.

The information contained in this message and any attachments is confidential, the content can not be copied or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor disclosed to a third party without authorisation from Hotelbono Any revision, retransmission, dissemination or other use or action thereof by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the person listed as the sender and delete the material from all computers.This message does not imply the creation of contractual relations nor other commitments to use of this message.

We have sent you this email because you registered on the database of Viajes TUTTOCARD SL.

If you would like to unsubscribe permanently and thereby lose the opportunity to win the prize draw, please click:

(Website)
  • Rebbie
    Rebbie Posts: 533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got one too and checked on here before clicking on the link. Looks like we were right to be suspicious. Thanks for confirming it though, guys.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr Seuss
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure