Why don't I want a JML Halogen Oven

I'm being severely tempted by adverts for these in the paper and I am obviously keen on something that would stop me from needing to use my big oven on a daily basis, but equally I don't need any more kitchen gadgets gathering dust.

Does anyone have one or have any experiences to relate? Should I get one or should I look the other way? What do you think?

Thanks

Mrs P P
"Keep your dreams as clean as silver..." John Stewart (1939-2008)

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    look the other way. i have one, the food doesnt look the same
    doesnt taste the same. you'll use it for a month and then it
    wil be in the back of a cupboard for life.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Rather than get that, save up some more and get a good combi micro. NOT the grill micro combi, I mean the convection oven micro combi. Will save you loads of cash in the long run as it will use part microwave for speed and the convection oven to get the oven baked feel to your food too.
  • Love my halogen oven, its cooks beautifully. Have been using it for a month now and would not go back to my old oven.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OK I admit it - I have fallen for the hype and in the hope of saving electricity costs (ds uses oven for a few chips etc nearly every day) have purchased the JML halogen oven.

I am so darned excited its pathetic. It should arrive this week. I understand that you can make casseroles, cakes etc. What I don't understand is the complete roast dinner. Do you just start the chicken off, then add the carrots, potatoes, yorkies etc as you would in a conventional oven?

Can you cook say oven chips on the bottom and then put a pizza in on the top rack??
    Also when you put things in at different times does the oven have to get back up to the heat it was??

Any stories of (positive please!) halogen ovens and what kinds of meals you do in them.

Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think you need to head over to the old style board - they have another little oven they all rave about- can't remember what it's called, but they'll be happy to help you , I 'm sure!!
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • drofmab
    drofmab Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 3 May 2009 at 4:42PM
    I have noted in the TV ads views of chicken being roasted up-side down. This idea seems sensible to me as it offers a means of self basting as in a rotisserie. None of the cook books describe this technique.Do you start roasting in this mode and turn breast up for final browning or finish roast in the breast down mode. Any comments, experience and/or advice?
  • irishwexford
    irishwexford Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought my JML oven to save on electricity as my fan oven is very expensive to run. The oven is very big and you have to fiddle around a bit to get used to it. I cook a chicken in oven bag, 30 mins upside down and 30 mins other way and this turns out ok, nice and moist but have not tried cooking whole meal in it. Have cooked pizzas, oven chips and chops and roast potatoes ok. My electricity charges have come down so much I will continue to use it even though it would be much easier to use my fan oven. Its not all its made out to be but it does save cash. I try and batch cook roast potatoes and then freeze, try are a bit dry but ok when cooked for a small time in oil in fan oven.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have never regretted buying my JML. In fact it's nice to have not made a mistake for a change!!:)

I use it all the time, but for things like home made wedges, veggie sausages, pizzas, heating up the occasional ready meal for my DS etc.

Our large oven is rarely on.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• brownfrog
    brownfrog Posts: 189 Forumite
    Long thread about halogen ovens here - some other makes mentioned, and also what does/doesn't cook well in it: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=978783&highlight=wattage
  • drofmab wrote: »
    I have noted in the TV ads views of chicken being roasted up-side down. This idea seems sensible to me as it offers a means of self basting as in a rotisserie. None of the cook books describe this technique.Do you start roasting in this mode and turn breast up for final browning or finish roast in the breast down mode. Any comments, experience and/or advice?

Yes, place chicken upside down for first hour, then turn over, cutting through legs near breast to allow heat to cook thoroughly, then cook for
    further 45 mins. Chicken will then be crispy and succulent. Place partly
    cooked veg & potatoes around bird when turning over. - success.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure