A treehouse for the twins

PrincessLou
PrincessLou Posts: 503 Forumite
edited 5 January 2016 at 12:25PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
I am so excited to write the first post of my mortgage-free diary! Some of you may have seen me around the MFW boards. I only post every now and then but reading the boards has become part of my daily routine and I am subscribed to many MFW diaries.
I have wanted to start this journey even before we bought our first house over three years ago but never seemed to get going. The magic of the New Year must have given me the push I needed at last!

I am 31, married to DH, with two little boys (twins, hence the title!) who are 2 and a half. Having the boys has changed my life completely, they are my absolute world, and has bought into realisation just how much I want them to have a wonderful home in which to create adventures and mischief! Our current house was bought just over 3 years ago. It is in a nice area and we love it but it has sadly been outgrown and overtaken by toys (and now houses the entire population of Tidmouth Sheds…but that’s another story :D).

We have no debts, so all money that isn’t spent is available to be used for overpayments or savings. DH has a good job and I am self-employed, although I have temporarily stopped working as the boys are a lot of work at the moment and by the end of the day I am worn out! :eek: I am hoping to pick up a couple of small projects here and there, before returning to work part time when the boys start nursery towards the end of the year.

The big plan:

Our mortgage, as of January 1st 2016, currently stands at: £116,468.73)

Our aim is to pay the current mortgage off within 5 years so we can move to a bigger house. We have a regular overpayment of £101 set up – this has been going for over a year now. My plan is to now start making one-off payments as and when extra monies become available through tidying accounts, ebaying (we have a garage full), extra work and other savings that come our way.

*** The reason for the title is that our current garden is more of a paved courtyard with a seating area and plants. Although we have enjoyed many a happy afternoon in it with the boys when they were small, we long for a big garden with room for a treehouse! ***
Mortgage - £105,500

Comments

• Yippee you have a diary :)

I will be cheering you on from the sidelines PrincessLou, I think your challenge is eminently doable. I don't blame you for cutting back on work whilst the boys are small, I am still ploughing on with my small business but it really is exhausting at times - all I want to do is flop on the sofa with a glass of wine on an evening!

I have subscribed, best of luck sweetie xx :)
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • ATB, I am so pleased that you are the first to comment on my new diary, as your diary has been one of diaries that has given me the push this year to finally start my own mfw journey!

Reading your diary is like reading an amazing book...and I never want the book to end. I'm secretly glad that you might be buying a new house as it means that your diary might continue for that little bit longer :D
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • I have made my first one-off overpayment of £29.01 which came from two ebay sales. :j Feels so great to be off the starting blocks!

I have a love/hate relationship with the bay of E. However, I have been very successful selling things lately. I have found that putting everything as a buy-it-now listing has helped me get the prices I want for things rather than crossing my fingers and toes when it comes to auctions.

DH would laugh at the 1p of this amount and say why didn't I just pay £29, however I am a complete nerd for numbers :rotfl:
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • Hi PrincessLou, welcome to the club. I love your diary name :) congratulations on your first overpayment. That extra 1p means that you do not ever pay interest on again.
    House purchased November 2013
    Original MF Date: January 2045 - £104,400
    Current MF Date: April 2030- £48,719. 75
  • Woo hoo...welcome Princess Lou. Can't wait to share your journey with you. I don't blame you either about staying home with the twins. its sounds like a awesome goal. Will subscribe and cheer you along side ATB.

Diamonds xx
    1.7.15: £157,469.64, 10.02.16: £93,434.74
    FIT-4 #34, MFW 2016 #89 (£7350/24000)
    Target MFW Dec 2018
  • Right, I have edited the opening post to include official starting figures.
    Hi PrincessLou, welcome to the club. I love your diary name congratulations on your first overpayment. That extra 1p means that you do not ever pay interest on again.

You are so right, Mrs Trelfa, I should be doing the famous Trelfa Twist ;) however DH just thinks I'm a little odd :D
    Woo hoo...welcome Princess Lou. Can't wait to share your journey with you. I don't blame you either about staying home with the twins. its sounds like a awesome goal. Will subscribe and cheer you along side ATB.

Diamonds xx

Thanks Diamonds, so happy to have you along for the ride. I read that you've just reached 5 figures :T I can't wait until I'm in that position too. It feels so close now, yet still so far.
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • Hi PL,

I felt the same. I think even posted on my diary saying it too. but luckyinlife had wise words of this MFW journey is a slow and steady race and we need to make sure we enjoy life somewhat too.

unfortunately diamond household has been enjoying themselves abit too much :rotfl:

I give myself little targets as well as the big ones to keep myself focused and so i feel like I've achieved something. This week I am trying to find £123.29 to get to £99,000 exactly. Not sure I'll do it but going to try hard.

xx
    1.7.15: £157,469.64, 10.02.16: £93,434.74
    FIT-4 #34, MFW 2016 #89 (£7350/24000)
    Target MFW Dec 2018
  • Petal88
    Petal88 Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Best of luck PrincessLou, that's a very admirable goal to have - I can't wait to have little ones in a treehouse myself! Reckon I won't be reproducing for a good 5 years still so I'll be following your journey in the mean time :)
    Mortgage Oct '20: £615k
    Mortgage Feb '24: 590k
    Debt Feb'24: £35,501.54
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi princesslou, wanted to pop in to wish you luck.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Thanks Petal and Cath, it'll be great to have you along for the ride :j

Diamonds, I think you are right about breaking it down into smaller goals. Further to that, I have decided that I shall set my first little goal. After the first overpayment, our balance now stands at £116,439.72. I would like to round this down so that we hit under £116,000.

Goal to be completed by January 31st: £439.72
    Mortgage - £105,500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family