MSE Poll: When did you last use your bank branch?

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Maybe visiting a bank other than using its ATM would be more telling ( No pun intended!)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Within the last year.... About 5/6 months ago to pay in a cheque (a tax refund -yay!). Halifax have since closed that branch - only notifying customers by an A4 sign on the door. Since I switched my account there 18 months ago - I might have been in 5 or 6 times in total.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Used my bank last week .... I use it weekly to get cash out & chat to the tiller. Conversation seems to have been removed from our lives. I also hate the hole in the wall I feel very vulnerable. I use the one In the bank then if something goes wrong ... which happened last time ... there's someone to help! In our town the last bank Lloyd's is closing its doors @ the end of this month! They've promised a Mobile Bank twice a week. But how and when This will happen no one knows!
    This reminds me of Beecham closing most of the railways. Closing the bank's is not a good idea!
  • My 'registered' branch of Natwest is about to shut. I've not been there in 15 years so I'm not all that upset.

I hardly ever have to go to a branch except to cash a cheque .. but now that my mum has started to just send direct bank transfers that has become less and less frequent.
  • I would love to have a local branch to visit more often - but both the nearest are a 10 to 15 minute drive away!!
  • kathrynha wrote: »
    With charity accounts you don't get a card, as 2 signatures are needed, and need to get paying in book stamped to prove it was banked.
    The only machine they have that is of use to me is the coin machine, but then you still have to queue once the machine has counted your coins.

Charity accounts normally operate free of charge therefore I suggest you get what you pay for, banks are not themselves charities.
  • Flick216
    Flick216 Posts: 8,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Where was the option for "ages ago because they ruddy closed it"
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
  • paul_k
    paul_k Posts: 22 Forumite
    I find it hard to understand the need for bank branches.
    I never call in to my bank.
    I do everything online,if I get a cheque to pay in,I post it by hand through the letter box after hours.
    I think banks could now just have a small office and the need for branches will die out.
    If you need cash,you can get cashback from most stores/supermarkets
    or cash machines.
    I can count on one hand the times I have visited my bank in the past 10 years!!!!!
    I fail to understand why people queue up in banks?!
    I invest online,buy and sell shares.Use a mortgage broker for mortgages.Transfer money,infact all online.
    ok not everyone is online,but you need to be asap.
    Its like post,I cant remember when I last posted a letter! when we have email.
    You can even send greetings.birthday,xmas etc by email.
    I also cant remember when I last used a post office !
    perhaps I am missing something?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Flick216
    Flick216 Posts: 8,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    paul_k wrote: »
    I find it hard to understand the need for bank branches.
    I never call in to my bank.
    I do everything online,if I get a cheque to pay in,I post it by hand through the letter box after hours.
    I think banks could now just have a small office and the need for branches will die out.
    If you need cash,you can get cashback from most stores/supermarkets
    or cash machines.
    I can count on one hand the times I have visited my bank in the past 10 years!!!!!
    I fail to understand why people queue up in banks?!
    I invest online,buy and sell shares.Use a mortgage broker for mortgages.Transfer money,infact all online.
    ok not everyone is online,but you need to be asap.
    Its like post,I cant remember when I last posted a letter! when we have email.
    You can even send greetings.birthday,xmas etc by email.
    I also cant remember when I last used a post office !
    perhaps I am missing something?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So therefore, you use the branch! Just because you don't go in doesn't mean you haven't actually been to the branch!

I would like to be able to do this but my local branch has shut!
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
  • Pegase
    Pegase Posts: 11 Forumite
    Can't remember the last time I went INSIDE a branch.. the couple of checks I received in the last few years, I put through in the ATM. (Nationwide).
    Everything else happens online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport