Buying Past It's Sell by Date Food

Comments

• Is there any other places like AF around then? Im down south in portsmouth ive tried google looking for places but i gave up!!
  • Rick38 wrote: »
    I would never ever eat food past its 'use by' date. I have no problem with 'best before' dates though.
    I have mentioned on another thread that any 'encouragement' people give others to eat food past its 'use by' date is completely irresponsible. The use by date is there for a reason.

Hi Rick. I was just wondering...if you had an item with a use by date of today, would you eat it today but not tommorow?

Would you eat it late in the evening tonight, but not early tommorow morning?

im just curious. I used to never eat things past their use by date, but now I will give things a day or two grace (fresh items) and im still here to tell the tale.
    May £10 a day challenge
    £19.61/£310
    Ebay challenge...£12.61/£200
  • Around here in Yorkshire we have 'Job Lot'. Sells a lot of carp and you have to check dates as they sell out of date items and freeze fresh items when near their use-by. You can get some good items and is really cheap for tins and packets.
    May £10 a day challenge
    £19.61/£310
    Ebay challenge...£12.61/£200
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    notlongnow wrote: »
    Around here in Yorkshire we have 'Job Lot'. Sells a lot of carp and you have to check dates as they sell out of date items and freeze fresh items when near their use-by. You can get some good items and is really cheap for tins and packets.

ooh - wheres this then ? :D
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
    I would never ever eat food past its 'use by' date. I have no problem with 'best before' dates though.
    I have mentioned on another thread that any 'encouragement' people give others to eat food past its 'use by' date is completely irresponsible. The use by date is there for a reason.

Personally I tend to go by sense of smell and cook things thoroughly. We had some sausages the other day that were a week past their use by date. Yoghurts and eggs are frequently eaten weeks 'out of date' in my household, even milk can still be fresh a week beyond the stated date as long as it's stored properly. Nobody in my family has EVER had food poisoning. I think it's nuts that people go by some random date on their food and throw it out at the stroke of midnight without exercising some common sense. :rolleyes:
    If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor...
  • Was on this site today and a lot of the prices are a bargain. Can i ask peoples opionins about best before dates. I was lookin up heinz beans and the product says: Best Before August 2007. Only askin since its feb 2009. Would the taste be completely gone? Thanks
  • In the Yorkshire/Lancashire area there is a group of shops called Jack Fultons (also called Fultons Foods) who sell lots of fresh/dried/frozen goods approaching their best before and use by dates. I have had lots of bargains there. In the current financial climate it is one of the busiest shops in town!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"

I have eaten foods one day beyond its use by date reguarly, and I havn't been ill in a long time.

I just bought some Salmon with todays date on it reduced. It still looks fine, should be fine to eat tommorow, the date is generally a couple days earlier than when they will actually go off otherwise they could go off on the day, and then the company gets sued... they do not magically go off at midnight!

One day is fine in my opnion, its always best to freeze these things though, but when I want to eat it tommorow, I see no point.
  • coolagarry
    coolagarry Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Was on this site today and a lot of the prices are a bargain. Can i ask peoples opionins about best before dates. I was lookin up heinz beans and the product says: Best Before August 2007. Only askin since its feb 2009. Would the taste be completely gone? Thanks

I consider that the 'best before' etc does not apply to frozen or tinned food (within reason) I would have no qualms eating your baked beans and would expect the taste to be the same - its bugs that put food off and there aren't any in a tin... if there were the tin would swell, in which case eating the contents would probably kill you :A
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure