The Great 'What to do in the event of redundancy' Hunt

Comments

• excellent post.... made a lot of sense.. some good tips... and some bits made me laugh... thank you :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If you can see it before it hits, load your larder, pantry, & freezer & repurpose some of your garden.
    Push comes to shove I manage OK without a computer or broadband (love that library!) but still need a brew to start the day.
  • OH has been told there is to be a restructure. They are making his job redundant and employing 3 new people to do it. It's not a formal notification as it is only a proposal but the full staff team have been told he is going in may.

His boss has tried a few different things to get of him from overloading him with work then asking if he is competent to do the job. Initiating extended sickness when he was off ill for a week for the first time in 9 years!

Neither of us belong to a union at the moment but it might be time to join!!

All advice welcome
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    LindieR wrote: »
    OH has been told there is to be a restructure. They are making his job redundant and employing 3 new people to do it.
    Neither of us belong to a union at the moment but it might be time to join!!

All advice welcome

His job cannot be redundant if 3 people will be employed to do it.

Sangie595 may disagree with me, but it may be a bit too late to join a union if you want their help in this. But definitely do join one.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    His job cannot be redundant if 3 people will be employed to do it.

Sangie595 may disagree with me, but it may be a bit too late to join a union if you want their help in this. But definitely do join one.
    I won't disagree in the circumstances. It is almost certainly too late to join a union, because unions will not take on existing problems from before you join. its like insurance - you can't buy it after the house burns down.

But I will disagree with the first line. It is entirely possible to be redundant if three people are employed to do the work. The company have said they will restructure. The work could be redistributed so that the new jobs are very different from one, and they may have different terms and conditions of employment. Without more details of the new jobs it's impossible to really comment much.
  • My job was made redundant in June this year, all done by the book and payment was very fair. I was also paid 3 months money in lieu of notice.
    I have been searching for a job ever since but as yet with no luck.
    Sadly the redundancy payment is starting to dwindle so decided I really ought to see if there were any benefits I could claim.
    I completed the 'Entitled to' forms which said I would be able to claim Universal Credit, however Universal Credit online application was declined and advised to claim Jobseeker's Allowance, when I completed the forms for JSA I was referred back to Universal Credit.
    Does anyone else have experience of this?
    Or could you suggest where I go from here?
  • Hi All

I have just been made redundant for the first time in my life (I am 42) after 16 years of work for two separate companies;

I am currently trying to go through the MSE redundancy guide, start my MPPI claim, network with colleagues and recruiters, and apply for jobs, essentially everything you are told to do when you are made redundant. The company I work for has also kindly provided the services of another company (for up to a year) to help me polish my CV and exploit my network of contacts to try to get a new career.

That all said I cannot help but feel slightly worried as I have never been in this position before and I have a very large mortgage (costs me almost £1000 per month). Any thoughts/words of advice would be much appreciated.

All Thanks

Dan Tilley
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Don't post on this thread start a new one.
    Much better responses as a lot ignore these threads as they get difficult to follow.
  • mrsval
    mrsval Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am being made redundant next month with 13k payout will I still be able to claim any benefits. I currently work for the local authority but none of us being made redundant have received any help or advice and i'm panicking because ive never signed on in my life and have no idea what if anything i'm entitled to. I'm 61 my husband is already retired on a state pension and a 44k mortgage to pay although I'm currently only paying the interest. I need a new roof, boiler and patio door which is my main back door and was hoping to use some of my redundancy money to buy the things for the house that I need because my roof is already leaking but I'm frightened to spend it in case the 13k I receive stops me from claiming benefits. please help because I'm just getting stressed and confused.
  • my head feels like a whirling dervish trying to look through all forum links re redundancy, so much so I have given up after reading about a dozen so apologise if my question has been raised before:
    I was made redundant at Christmas by the dear old NHS after being in healthcare for 40 years (sadly not all pensioned). All very messy and painful, so much so I couldn't work at the end due to depression. I am also waiting for a second hip replacement so all things considered am not fit to work/claim JSA. I have applied to receive my reduced NHS pension which I am told may not now be available until March to May time. I used my redundancy lump sum to pay off my mortgage and cashed in another small pension pot to pay for a new roof as it was leaking but now I have no income for some months. I have never claimed anything in my life but need some money to keep me going until my pension comes through. However, I have been told by benefit adviser that my lump sum is classed as an income (regardless what I have used it on) and therefore not eligible for anything. Is it right I just have to wait? I was under the impression my pension would be available as of the end of Jan 17 - hence why I repaired my roof and paid off the mortgage. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do for the next few months as I am in despair?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback