Discount hair colouring that works?!

Hi,

I'm a debt free wannabe who sadly has gone mega grey before my time (I'm 35 and went grey at 18!!) 😱 I need to do my roots about every 2-3 weeks because it grows sooooo quickly and, being dark, my roots make me look like a badger if I leave it any longer 😖

I've always used nice n easy, but at nearly £6 a go, it's not cheap!!! Does anyone use one that actually works on grey hair, gives a nice colour and is any cheaper?

Cheers!

Debbie
HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022

Comments

• Hi there
    I use Superdrug Colour Performance, currently 2 boxes for £7 but by waiting for the best deals to stock up I rarely pay more than £3 per box, often only £2.50, (with a superdrug beauty card for points, extra points deals and free home delivery, topcashback too)
    The kit has a bottle of chemicals and tube of colour to mix to dye and a seperate conditioner. Total dye-in-hair time is up to 40 mins. I have tried nice and easy and a l'oreal one i the past but didn't notice any real difference just fancier packaging and applicators.

For doing the roots I have known to mix half of each chemical (25g each on the digital kitchen scale) into a black plastic tinting bowl (99p store- great investment as the brush that came with it makes even coverage a doddle and has lasted 2 years already) getting two interim touch ups out of one kit, but I do need to do whole head every 2-3 times for convincing colour.

There is a hair dye in either the 99p store or poundland (possibly both) but i haven't tried it as i like being able to reliably get my usual colour, but seeing as most kits seem to use the same chemicals there's no reason it shouldn't work....anyone here braved it yet?

Good luck fighting the grey traitors!
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The colours from Poundland have always been fine - its more getting the same shade, so if you find one you like then stock up.
  • If you are dark haired then try using a brunette dry shampoo (I use Superdrug's own Brunette dry shampoo) to disguise the roots for a little longer, works great on my thick dark hair! It gives me and extra 2 weeks before needing to dye it. It's usually on offer BOGOF or similar.
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Thanks ladies! I never thought of only mixing half the colour before missswansea - D'Oh! seems so obvious now you've said it!! I shall certainly be investing in a tinting bowl. Thanks!

I might brave a cheaper colourant too now DomRavioli - I've never known anyone actually use them before so I've never been brave enough myself... Thanks for taking the plunge for us all lol

flutterbyuk25 does the dry shampoo have some kind of colourant in it then?? I use one but it's just white. I like the idea of that too! Cheers everyone!!
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I use Aldi's hair dye and really like it. I mix two colours to get the shade as the range is fairly limited. £2.39 each box with conditioner
  • flutterbyuk25 does the dry shampoo have some kind of colourant in it then?? I use one but it's just white. I like the idea of that too! Cheers everyone!!

Yep it comes out brown. But you have to get the brunette one!
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    Yep it comes out brown. But you have to get the brunette one!

I found that mad my hair feel horrible. Actually all dry shampoo does. You can also get tinted shampoo/conditioner it's john freida, sometimes really expensive, sometimes on quite good offers x
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • I know this sounds obvious, but even if your new dye appears to have the same ingredients as your current ones, remember to do a spot test. I was 35 when I developed my first allergy (not hair dye) and it was a really bad reaction. I have had to carry Epipens since, and have developed other allergies. My GP has advised me not to use hair dye, so I have silver streaks in my very dark hair (silver sounds so much nicer than grey :D).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure