Had my lightbulb moment!

Options
scottishbrummy
scottishbrummy Posts: 49 Forumite
First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 8 November 2017 at 10:20AM in Debt-free wannabe
So yesterday I had my lightbulb moment. I need desperately to get rid of my debt - my mortgage repayment and loan will both bounce tomorrow - I get paid on the 8th so will pay both then, as well as a £160 gas/electric bill which is well overdue.

It all started when I was a student, interest free overdraft (1800 - now maxed out) and too young and stupid to even contemplate paying it back. In September it will be 10 years since I got it, and since then I've added a credit card (1500 - also maxed out) and a loan (ironically to pay off the other two), which has 4200 left over 2 yrs 9 mnths.

I'm hoping with the support of this forum I will be rid of my debt soon enough. I earn 22,200 a year and after tax I get about 1350 every 4 weeks.

Wish me luck!! :beer:

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

scottishbrummy first started this diary back in March 2016. Have a read through the full discussion or click through to the second page to see how they're getting on!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
LBM - 30/3/16 - Someone save me from myself!!
Overdraft: 1800/1800 - Credit card: 1400/1450 - Loan: 1257/4500
Grand Total: 4457/7750

Comments

• yasmin2
    yasmin2 Posts: 319 Forumite
    Options
    You're in the right place for help and support.
    If you post up a SOA I am sure someone will come along and make suggestions as to where you can cut back:)

Good luck:D
    Debt outstanding [STRIKE]£3491.[/STRIKE] £3303
    NSD 10/15
  • scottishbrummy
    Options
    Thanks, I will do. Off to work now until 10pm so won't be home till 11pm :(
    Not taking card with me so not spending any money!
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So yesterday I had my lightbulb moment. I need desperately to get rid of my debt - my mortgage repayment and loan will both bounce tomorrow - I get paid on the 8th so will pay both then, as well as a £160 gas/electric bill which is well overdue.

It all started when I was a student, interest free overdraft (1800 - now maxed out) and too young and stupid to even contemplate paying it back. In September it will be 10 years since I got it, and since then I've added a credit card (1500 - also maxed out) and a loan (ironically to pay off the other two), which has 4200 left over 2 yrs 9 mnths.

I'm hoping with the support of this forum I will be rid of my debt soon enough. I earn 22,200 a year and after tax I get about 1350 every 4 weeks.

Wish me luck!! :beer:
    Not the first and wont be a last to fall into the "consolidation trap"

Your debts are totally managable
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Your mortgage and other household bills should be your high priorities along with other essential living costs. If your mortgage payment is going to bounce it's a good idea to be pro-active in contacting your lender to explain your situation. Ask them for help such as a possible payment holiday or changing to an interest only mortgage in the short term to give you some breathing space.

Posting a SOA is the best place to start as the others have suggested.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • leebo87
    leebo87 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Very similar story to you brummy, had my LBM last October and have made big inroads since, thanks to this forum. I recommend starting a spend dairy - this has been the single most useful tool for me.

Good luck
  • rockabillygirl
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you luck on your journey.
    It will all be ok in the end - if it's not ok, then it's not the end!
    Saving for Christmas 2019 #27 total £62.00
    Sealed pot challenge 12 #32 total £67.50
    Mortgage paid off.
  • CoffeeBean_2
    Options
    Best of luck with everything, like another poster said, your debt with your wage is manageable.
    Hopefully now you have posted on here you will get support and get there with it all.
    Well done on posting
    CB
  • scottishbrummy
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice so far, the payments bounced today but as soon as I'm paid on 8th April I'll pay it all. I'll post SOA in a bit just got some bits to do. Didn't have time to make lunch before work yesterday (I definitely will today) but managed to get a chicken korma reduced to 57p - win!
  • scottishbrummy
    Options
    So here's where I am at the moment:

Monthly Income:
    My salary - £1,350

Monthly Outgoings:

Mortgage - £362.77
    Loan repayment - 170
    Council Tax - £81
    Gas - 20
    Electric - 20
    TV License - 12
    Sky - 39
    Phone - 43
    Food - 100
    Life Insurance - 5
    Bus Pass: 60

Total: 912
  • scottishbrummy
    Options
    So it's looking ok.... there's just under £400 I can put towards my debt each month, however, I get paid 4 weekly which I think is what's contributed to my issues. I get paid on the 8th April and because some things bounced on the 1st I'm going to have to pay two lots out of the one pay (mortgage, loan, life insurance) so for me this month will be about getting back on track, and then paying back as much as I can every month from Mays pay - the 6th.
    Luckily though the flipside of the 4 weekly pay is that I won't need to pay out mortgage loan or life insurance from my pay in June so I'll have an extra £532 on top of the £400 I'll be trying to put towards my debt :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family