PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bread is on about an hour later than planned, think the soup will be consigned to tomorrow. Contemplating some tuna and onion on crackers, must also remember to buy more crackers.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Somebody went out for a shuffle around random late opening shops ... and has arrived home carrying a packet of chocolate biscuits..... still unopened though.

I had a shuffle round A1d1 but didn't see anything that I fancied for tea (no discounted stickers so they couldn't make my mind up for me) ...oh well. I won't starve. Something will turn up.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've been bumped out of my own kitchen LOL while son makes shortbread for his work's Children In Need fundraiser - his mammy's recipe of course, so a good excuse for me to sit back and have a glass of wine :) Well seen he's living on his own now as he is clearing up as he goes;)

PN - knowing your love of biscuits etc. did you know you can make shortbread in the microwave? Ideal if you want a quick buttery/sugary fix and just 3 ingredients:) 1 oz sugar, 2 oz butter/marge, 3 oz plain flour. Rub butter into flour/sugar until like breadcrumbs and then knead lightly until it comes together. Flatten until around 1 cm thick, score into sections of a size you want but leave as one piece IFYSWIM. Pop dough on piece of baking paper and pop on turntable, pri@k top with a fork. Nuke for 3 mins ish - the top should feel dry. Sprinkle with a little sugar Break into pieces when coolish;)
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    caronc wrote: »
    ...3 oz plain flour...

Now i have three types of flour but no bog standard plain and i do like shortbread, any idea of whether self raising or strong (white or wholemeal) would work or would I end up with something odd?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Somebody went out for a shuffle around random late opening shops ... and has arrived home carrying a packet of chocolate biscuits..... still unopened though.

I had a shuffle round A1d1 but didn't see anything that I fancied for tea (no discounted stickers so they couldn't make my mind up for me) ...oh well. I won't starve. Something will turn up.

I thought they self combusted if left unopened more than ten minutes after getting home? Something to do with a chemical reaction between the chocolate and biscuits with the higher ambient temperature of the home acting as a catalyst.
    I've been bumped out of my own kitchen LOL while son makes shortbread for his work's Children In Need fundraiser - his mammy's recipe of course, so a good excuse for me to sit back and have a glass of wine :) Well seen he's living on his own now as he is clearing up as he goes;)

PN - knowing your love of biscuits etc. did you know you can make shortbread in the microwave? Ideal if you want a quick buttery/sugary fix and just 3 ingredients:) 1 oz sugar, 2 oz butter/marge, 3 oz plain flour. Rub butter into flour/sugar until like breadcrumbs and then knead lightly until it comes together. Flatten until around 1 cm thick, score into sections of a size you want but leave as one piece IFYSWIM. Pop dough on piece of baking paper and pop on turntable, pri@k top with a fork. Nuke for 3 mins ish - the top should feel dry. Sprinkle with a little sugar Break into pieces when coolish;)

Oooh that sounds good. Can you keep the dough in the fridge or freezer for a while?

I bought a donut/cake pop maker months ago from Amazon thinking it would be good to just make a few small cakes now and then, so I didn't go out and buy a load and eat them all in one go. But the first time I tried it the recipe was for dozens of them, and I ended up chucking most of it away. I think even divided down to the smallest possible ratio there'd be a silly amount. Nuked shortbread sounds like it'd fit the bill perfectly.
    Willowx wrote: »
    Now i have three types of flour but no bog standard plain and i do like shortbread, any idea of whether self raising or strong (white or wholemeal) would work or would I end up with something odd?

I have a large kilner style jar full of flour. But I haven't a clue what type it is. I've been thinking about trying to make something to find out. Sadly, I've just made a big bowl of jelly so shortbread will have to wait.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • caronc
    Willowx wrote: »
    No unfortunately it has to be bog standard plain flour - you can of course oven cook it . Around 15 mins at 160 fan or 180 - check after 10 mins it shouldn't be brown:)
    Ames wrote: »

Oooh that sounds good. Can you keep the dough in the fridge or freezer for a while?

Save
    Yes will keep in the fridge for 5 days anyway and freezes brilliantly :D
  • PasturesNew
    edited 18 March 2017 at 9:07PM

I'm not really a biscuit lover, to be honest.... I buy/eat them as "it's easier than actually cooking" - and they're always seconds/cheapo and I'm usually disappointed :)

I've never been much a fan of shortbread. At school it used to be a dessert, with crushed pineapple on it ... that's almost the only time I've ever eaten any. I've certainly never bought a packet... they used to be the sort of biscuits old ladies would give to your mum for Xmas.

I like the IDEA of biscuits, but few are good when it comes to the eating bit.

As you've kindly typed that up .... I'll add it to my list of things to get round to :)

I don't like touching pastry, so I'll change the word "rub" to be "fork" and change the word "knead" to be "back of a big spoon" :)
  • PasturesNew
    For those wondering about the flour ... for the tiny quantities involved... why not just give it a go.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I knew I'd change my mind...No to burgers. I'm having Pizza with added fresh chilli, onion, mushrooms and tomato.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    I'm not really a biscuit lover, to be honest.... I buy/eat them as "it's easier than actually cooking" - and they're always seconds/cheapo and I'm usually disappointed :)

I've never been much a fan of shortbread. At school it used to be a dessert, with crushed pineapple on it ... that's almost the only time I've ever eaten any. I've certainly never bought a packet... they used to be the sort of biscuits old ladies would give to your mum for Xmas.

I like the IDEA of biscuits, but few are good when it comes to the eating bit.

As you've kindly typed that up .... I'll add it to my list of things to get round to :)

I don't like touching pastry, so I'll change the word "rub" to be "fork" and change the word "knead" to be "back of a big spoon" :)
    That'd work
    For those wondering about the flour ... for the tiny quantities involved... why not just give it a go.
    If I was going to do that I'd use the SR flour you'd get something edible anyway. Bread flour I think would give you a "hockey puck" LOL :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure