PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a houseboat

Options

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I am looking to buy.

Yes it's a whim at the moment but I'd never go into anything without doing a lot of research!

I own a house so I may well stay were I am. For certain reasons (living on a communal estate) I am contemplating moving and this came up. The age thing could be a deciding factor - the points are well made. On the other hand it could be fun. And,you know, the breaking the leg issue could be a problem in flats and houses too

Once again thanks. I appreciate all the comments
  • 3mph
    3mph Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    You do know that BOAT stands for "bung over another thousand" ?
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    This thread lead me to look at houseboats for sale and I have to say, I'd love one. Looking at spending about £2m though, so it'll have to wait until I've won the lottery!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    On the other hand it could be fun. And,you know, the breaking the leg issue could be a problem in flats and houses too

Much easier to solve though, lifts, ramps etc. Newer builds have to be accessible by law, a houseboat doesn't!

I understand the temptation though, can you upsticks and go on holiday in a houseboat though or does it have to stay where it is?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The term 'houseboat' generally refers to a static, floating 'house'.

We seem here to be talking about the canal network, mostly used by 'narrowboats' (due to the width of the canals, and more importantly, the locks).

On the wider canals (eg Grand Union), Dutch Barges can be used (they're about double the width of a narrowboat). And on the rivers/broads etc there are river boats (often glass fibre or wood rather than steel construction).

I suspect here the OP is considering a liveaboad narrowboat on a canal. Which would be able to cruise as well as provide a permenat home.
  • NeilCr
    edited 18 March 2017 at 11:46AM
    Options
    G_M wrote: »

I suspect here the OP is considering a liveaboad narrowboat on a canal. Which would be able to cruise as well as provide a permenat home.

It's actually a 60 footer moored on my local marina. It is fully working, as I understand it.

There is a good lifestyle by our marina - lots of bars, restaurants etc and buzzy. So yes it is tempting but I have to keep my sensible head on too
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I am vaguely thinking of moving

During a search of available properties I came across a new houseboat with a permanent mooring at my local marina. And very nice it is too. 60 ft long - tastefully decorated - a bit of a man vpcave - big telly, drinks fridge etc

I've never thought of living on a houseboat before but I can see the attractions. I'm aware of some of the downsides - mooring fees, insurance, licence, maintenance etc. I don't need that much space - my best friend reckons I could live in a hotel room. I don't come with much baggage - it's me and my cat really

Internet and Sky Sports are important to me. Mid 60s now and like my days in front of the telly watching cricket, rugby, golf etc. The marina has wi fi - I've asked about provision for TV

Just wondered if anyone with experience could comment on the pros and cons. It may well not happen but it's piqued my interest

If you pop over to the Old Style board and search for HardupHester she'll be able to give you great information as her and her hubby have just bought one to live in full time.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Originally Posted by G_M viewpost.gif

It's actually a 60 footer moored on my local marina. It is fully working, as I understand it.
    And the marina is.... on the canal network? On the coast? On a river?

Being a '60 footer' I imagine it's a narrowboat on a canal which you're considering using as a liveaboard..........
  • NeilCr
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    And the marina is.... on the canal network? On the coast? On a river?

Being a '60 footer' I imagine it's a narrowboat on a canal which you're considering using as a liveaboard..........

On the coast!

Not sure I fancy travelling on it anyway, to be honest
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would imagine the cost of living in a flat vs a boat would be FAR more for the boat.

I was looking recently at bristol property and a houseboat came up at 165k which is comparable with some of bristol's flats but I would imagine the running costs would be high and the boat would have a limited lifespan

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56022298.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport