DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• alianza
    alianza Posts: 28 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    There were instances were application forms also doubled as credit agreements, but not always.

You asked for a credit agreement, not an application form.

Depends what it says on it, and what date is on it.

Well the photocopy says (priority request form' and then 'credit agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974' at the top the it does have my correct name address the date of 6/3/02 and a lot of clauses about the use of credit cards and a chart showing all the interest rates for retail transactions and balance transfers for various credit limits. I guess thats ok, at least i got a result on the other one.
  • Woody26
    Woody26 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This thread looks so helpful...I'm not sure if anyone could help me.... I started a debt management plan in December 2011. As a consequence of this I received a number of defaults which will likely fall off of my account early next year.

However, there were a few accounts (Barclaycard, Vanquis, MBNA) who instead of defaulting me, added a note to my credit file stating 'debt management programme' with a start and finish date (most of which are incorrect dates).

I have spoken to a mortgage advisor who has stated that some mortgage companies require you to wait until 3-6 years after the DMP is completed as opposed to the date you started the DMP before they would consider you for a mortgage. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Also, is there any likelihood that if I wrote to the companies these notes would be removed, the debts with these companies has now all been settled.

I find it hard to believe that a default drops of 6 years from start date however a note on a file regarding a debt management plan stays on for 6 years until this has been satisfied.

Thank you in advance
  • BeingDebtFreeStartsHere
    Options
    Hi all,

After MrsSammyB's advice I am going to write to the Co-op to see if I can get them to default our account. I was going to send them the following letter:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are writing to raise a formal complaint is respect of the loan account (number xxxxxx) which we have with your bank. This is currently being managed via a debt management plan through StepChange Debt Charity.

The Co-operative Bank has now known about our financial difficulties since we commenced our DMP in October 2014 however, despite two letters stating the account would be defaulted last Autumn, our account is still showing as 'late payment' on our credit report.

We feel we are not being treated fairly as the delay in issuing a default will have a continued negative impact on our credit score.

As a resolution to this formal complaint, and in line with the recommendations set out by the FCA to treat customers who are in arrears fairly, we request that a default is applied to our account and backdated to the start of our DMP in October 2014.

We look forward to your prompt response.

Does this sound ok??? Should I use more direct quotes from the FCA handbook??

Any advice/alterations greatly received :)

BDFSH x
  • DancingUnicorn
    Options
    Thank you so much for the support! SC made out to me that token payments were required and since this was only £6 a month I kind of went with it.
    But that's all over now. I got an email today saying my DMP is all set up and my first payment will come out on 1st April. So excited! I'm assuming everyone agreed to 0% but I'll keep an eye on everything and check this is the case.
    Slowly working my way to reading other things going on round here and hopefully I can be some help to others as I learn throughout the process :)
    LBM: October 2016: £20,130 / Current: May 2019: £12,576 37.53%
    DFD: [STRIKE]February 2024[/STRIKE] April 2022?
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thank you so much for the support! SC made out to me that token payments were required and since this was only £6 a month I kind of went with it.
    But that's all over now. I got an email today saying my DMP is all set up and my first payment will come out on 1st April. So excited! I'm assuming everyone agreed to 0% but I'll keep an eye on everything and check this is the case.
    Slowly working my way to reading other things going on round here and hopefully I can be some help to others as I learn throughout the process :)

Well done for getting your DMP all sorted. My first payment is also 1st April. Ill meet you at the starting post. I'm actually excited about getting started too :)
    Good luck with your journey and keep reading, I have learnt so much on this site especially this thread. The support and advice is amazing.
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Don't assume all predators agreed to 0%. Check your statements/letters and keep chasing until they do agree to zero interest.

Barclaycard refused to zero interest on one of our accounts because we were paying 0.03% above the minimum 1% they set as a bar for zeroing interest, i.e. you have to pay 0.99% or less. So we moved to £1 payments. Been at this rate for over a year now. They stopped interest and we got all interest charged refunded (back to start date of DMP) but it was a battle of multiple letters and threats from us. We got there eventually though.

StepChange won't let you play tactically like this - which is why, after one year of being with SC we went self managed.

Fingers crossed for you that you don't have any problems - but do keep an eye on all accounts.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 March 2017 at 11:02PM
    Options
    Hi all,

After MrsSammyB's advice I am going to write to the Co-op to see if I can get them to default our account. I was going to send them the following letter:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are writing to raise a formal complaint is respect of the loan account (number xxxxxx) which we have with your bank. This is currently being managed via a debt management plan through StepChange Debt Charity.

The Co-operative Bank has now known about our financial difficulties since we commenced our DMP in October 2014 however, despite two letters stating the account would be defaulted last Autumn, [STRIKE]our account is still showing as 'late payment' on our credit report.[/STRIKE] credit reference agencies still report this account as 'late payment'

We feel we are not being treated fairly as the delay in issuing a default will have [STRIKE]a continued[/STRIKE]an unnecessarily extended negative impact on our files held at credit [STRIKE]score[/STRIKE] reference agencies.

As identified in the Information Commissioner's Office 'Principles of the Reporting of Arrears, Arrangement and Defaults at Credit Reference Agencies'
    a default should be registered when a customer is three months in arrears. It was clear at the point we needed to enter a debt management plan that we were unable to meet contractual payments on this account, and that we would be in a DMP for several years. We therefore feel a default should have been recorded at the point we entered the DMP.

As a resolution to this formal complaint, and in line with the recommendations set out by the FCA to treat customers who are in arrears fairly, we request that a default is applied to our account and backdated to the start of our DMP in October 2014.

We look forward to your prompt response.

Does this sound ok??? Should I use more direct quotes from the FCA handbook??

Any advice/alterations greatly received :)

BDFSH x

My two pence worth in red above :beer:

Link to where I quote ICO

Edit: I changed bit about credit score - no such thing really. It's just a score the credit reference agencies generate. Lenders make their own decisions and a CRA score is pointless in that respect. It's the information recorded on your CRA files that is important...not a ficticious score.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Woody26 wrote: »
    This thread looks so helpful...I'm not sure if anyone could help me.... I started a debt management plan in December 2011. As a consequence of this I received a number of defaults which will likely fall off of my account early next year.

However, there were a few accounts (Barclaycard, Vanquis, MBNA) who instead of defaulting me, added a note to my credit file stating 'debt management programme' with a start and finish date (most of which are incorrect dates).

I have spoken to a mortgage advisor who has stated that some mortgage companies require you to wait until 3-6 years after the DMP is completed as opposed to the date you started the DMP before they would consider you for a mortgage. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Also, is there any likelihood that if I wrote to the companies these notes would be removed, the debts with these companies has now all been settled.

I find it hard to believe that a default drops of 6 years from start date however a note on a file regarding a debt management plan stays on for 6 years until this has been satisfied.

Thank you in advance

Hi,

That is the problem with arrangement to pay markers unfortunately, they stay on your file 6 years after the debt has been settled.

It's an awkward situation, because if you ask them to default you, there could be further issues with the default date, however you could write asking them to :

(A) default you
    And
    (B) backdate the default to the start date of your DMP.

According to guidelines, they should default you after 3/6 missed contracted payments.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • My two pence worth in red above :beer:

Link to where I quote ICO

Edit: I changed bit about credit score - no such thing really. It's just a score the credit reference agencies generate. Lenders make their own decisions and a CRA score is pointless in that respect. It's the information recorded on your CRA files that is important...not a ficticious score.

January you are an absolute star :starmod:

Thank you sooooo much :) xx
  • alianza
    alianza Posts: 28 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    There were instances were application forms also doubled as credit agreements, but not always.

You asked for a credit agreement, not an application form.

Depends what it says on it, and what date is on it.

Upon further perusal of the photocopies i have a question. (Had to take a photo and blow it up on my screen just to read them, I know they call it small print but it was miniscule.)

On the first photocopy under data protection it tells me to read section 11 in the terms and conditions provided. In the second photocopy I have been given only sections 1 and 2 of the terms and conditions. No sections 3-11 and beyond if there were any. I would hazard a guess that they have not sent me the full information. What would be the next step?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure