PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I'm not trolling anything, let alone sarcastically.

I'm simply pointing out, how dangerous it is to rely on cards.

Yeah, right.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I stick to cash jk0, mainly because I'm old and have always done that. And knowing me, the one day things went to custard and I really really needed stuff - that would be the day I forgot my bloody pin!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I take out a set amount each week and when it's gone it's GONE! so we use what's left and don't buy anything else. Big purchases are planned and saved for. Petrol is planned expenditure and we make sure the tank never gets lower than half full in case we need to get to either of the girls in an emergency situation. I do also use a card occasionally as I don't like carrying lots of cash but only for planned and discussed purchases, neither of us is likely to buy anything on a whim , that's not how we work!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    Yeah, right.

Believe what you like.

You could always put me on ignore.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 13 March 2017 at 4:51PM
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I stick to cash jk0, mainly because I'm old and have always done that.

I stick to cash, because I know it's spendable, even when EPOS and ATMs are down.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I do also use a card occasionally as I don't like carrying lots of cash but only for planned and discussed purchases

The only cards I have are an ATM card, and a pre-paid Mastercard.

The pre-paid card is purely for internet purchases (eg. Amazon), which aren't essential purchases, so it's not the end of the world, if I can't make them.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having had fraudulant transactions on my bank card in the last couple of years and needing the card replaced and pin changed etc twice now, I check my transactions on line every couple of days.

I now know how much money I need to have for a couple of weeks and always have food in the fridge and freezer. I get packs of lean meat when the company have good offers on and stock up. I try to get things delivered free whenever possible as it saves lugging things around on the bus.

I do need to get around to ordering large bottles of water on my next shop as DH used to delight in helpfully "using it up for me!"

My daughters and DH used to laugh at me when I said "What if?"
    and made sure we had travel insurance on holidays etc and extra tins, food, tea, coffee and toiletries but they were a lifesaver when anyone was poorly as I did not have to run out and leave them to get things.

They stopped laughing at me when DH found neighbour had needed to turn our shared water supply off and DH was heard to say he was desperate for a mug of tea - five minutes later I handed him a hug mug of tea and his face was a picture as I informed him I had used the large bottle of water "that was a waste of money" ;) Youngest DD was especially dismissive of my preps in her late teens until she had several friends over and there was a power cut :eek: When I walked into the room with several solar lights there was a cheer!!!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 5:50PM
    Options
    He Who Knows tore a sheet of muscles in his side with the cough that came with his virus! he is still having to take pain killers (although is in less discomfort now) and we're coming up to 7 weeks. Luckily my preps included some over the counter Co Codamol in the medicine chest which gave him some relief until he could get to the GP.....unfortunately it too is known to have constipation as a side effect!

I have been suffering from doing that also (muscles, not constipation).

Apple cider vinegar pretty much shifts anything too (constipation, not muscles)

:D
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    I do need to get around to ordering large bottles of water on my next shop as DH used to delight in helpfully "using it up for me!"

Ermmm ... sorry if I'm misunderstanding that, but why not buy your large bottles of water, use the contents as and when, then refill them from the tap rather than keep on buying them?
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    elona wrote: »

I don't buy bottled water.

I "bottle" my own. :)
    2eezedc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills