Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Comments

• Thanks for the help, an added complication is that I can't seem to get into our account which I am trying to fix, I wondered if it was because I had cancelled but I'm told that isn't the case!

We are currently on £59 per month but that is just the last 2 months of the old contract which was £42 pm for the previous 10 months.

Sky actually just called! and I was offered 25% offthe tv package and they would wave the £199 skyq box. However I would have to pay £12 pm rental for the box which is a bit daft!
  • surfboard2
    surfboard2 Posts: 2,005
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So i've cancelled and see the 60% deal.

T + C's say something about discount not applying if the package is changed? We are on the lowest package, but with 60% off, would have been happy to upgrade the package. Is this not possible?
  • surfboard2 wrote: »
    So i've cancelled and see the 60% deal.

T + C's say something about discount not applying if the package is changed? We are on the lowest package, but with 60% off, would have been happy to upgrade the package. Is this not possible?
    Probably but you'd have to ask them.
  • Surfboard I cancelled via online chat - the deal on TV came up, but then about 3 days after cancelled had phone call - which I accepted - service agent was experienced and explained everything and price quoted is just over £10 per month less than the package we had discounted last year. She seemed really on board so I would see if this happens. Otherwise think there is a retention number on here somewhere.

I did what others suggested and it worked as for upgrading packages, I might be wrong but I think they give no discount on HD and extra box which we have................but might be wrong, think you might do better with retention team
  • Cancelled my TV package only today
    Current package (including other services)
    - TV Boxsets package £38pm
    - Fibre unlimited £20pm
    - Sky talk £18.99pm
    - Sky Anytime calls £8pm
    - Sky plus HD box (number of years old)
    Total monthly cost £84.99pm

Went on to the price promise web chat, mentioned iffy Sky HD box and other services offered which I also wanted to review. I was initially offered 50% off just the TV package.

Stated I had seen 60% off on the TV service my account only an hour or so ago.

Immediately offered 50% off entire package for 12m so now package is £42.70 for 12m (from £84.99).

Mentioned is there anything they could do about SkyQ plus SkyQ minibox as old HD box getting a little past it.

They came back and offered 35% off TV package, 2TB SkyQ box plus 1 mini box with no install fees.

New package therefore
    SkyQ 2TB and 1 SkyQ mini box
    - Multi Room £12pm
    - TV Boxsets package £24.70pm
    - Fibre unlimited £10pm
    - Sky talk £9.50pm
    - Sky Anytime calls £8pm
    Total cost per month £64.20pm (12m contract)

Still a saving of £249.54 per annum plus new boxes that I wanted free of charges (well nothing is for free but I'm happy at least and you know what I mean!).

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post in this thread, was very useful before haggling. :) :beer: :T

Allan
  • Cancelled my TV package only yesterday:
    Current package (including other services)
    - TV Variety Bundle package £28.95pm
    - Unlimited BB £10pm
    - Sky Line Rental £18.99pm
    - Sky Evening/Weekend Calls £4pm
    - Sky plus HD box (7.5 number of years old)
    Total monthly cost £63.95pm exclusing call charges. With Call Charges outside allowance £70pm.

At first the best they (cancellations) could do was £49.79 on 18 months for the variety deal we had above so included variety, Unl BB/Line R. Sky Anytime Call. I talked it over with my wife and decided we would cancel as saving only works out at just under 28% off everything for 18 months.

I called back saying that it's simply too much money, and explained the deal was not good enough and that we wanted to leave they obviously said they would see what they could do asked "What's the very best that you can do". politely. I was offered can take it down to £45.79 for same length 18 months for £45.79 but for E/W calls instead. Or can drop to Orig package, Unl BB/LR and Anytime at £38.99pm.

New Package (would be):
    - Variety Bundle: £16.55pm from £28.95
    - Unlimited BB: £5.00pm from £10pm
    - Sky Line Rental: £18.99pm (No change)
    Sky Voicemail: £1.25pm (No idea why they charge for this)
    - Sky Talk Anytime: £8pm from £4 E/W calls
    Total Cost of Package: £49.79pm.

Both people spoke to were quite adamant that's very best can offer very little maneuver. Said no thank you, and would like to proceed with cancellation, gave 31 days notice from yesterday. What would be my options from here? Any suggestions?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ajmal92 wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

As mentioned regularly on this thread, the best offers come after you have cancelled. Sky are not a charity who will offer you a (good) deal just because you asked for it. You have to at least appear to want to cancel.

Check your online account, the Sky app, and on the TV and the offers will start to arrive now you have given your notice.

It most probably was the 'best they could do'. Front line staff have very limited room to offer large discounts.
  • patchman
    patchman Posts: 101
    First Post
    Forumite
    Went on Sky Chat yesterday. After an hour got offered the 60% that was in the email they had sent me that morning (would only offer 40% initially!) plus £40 credit. Declined as still wanted me to pay full price for Mutliroom.

Take the offer like I did and then go back to them a few days later about the multiroom, I was given it for £3/month for 12 months this way :)
  • Mardrew
    Mardrew Posts: 487
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 March 2017 at 10:10PM
    On checking my bank statement today I realised that my Sky TV payment had increased and then on checking my Sky account I realised that from next month my full payment would be £65.50 for Sky Box Sets, Sports & HD as my contract period would have ended. I jumped on to this thread to see what offers people seemed to be getting. (Last year was the first year I had ever done this and was so impressed that I could save so much money.)

Anyway, I went on to Sky Chat this evening to cancel and straight away I got offered 50% off on an 18 month contract. I did have a little dither as to whether I could have got 60% off with no contract but, to be honest, I was happy to get a 50% offer straight away as I really wasn't expecting it and so I accepted it. (In all honesty, the Sky Chat process takes so long - an hour all in - I didn't think I could face losing another hour of my life going through it again with, perhaps, the same result!)

One thing to note, and I haven't seen it mentioned in the few pages of threads I've read today, when the advisor sent through the terms and conditions via Chat, they now mention that there is a £10 admin fee charge which is compulsory with the acceptance of any offers which help reduce costs. When I queried it, the advisor said that that was introduced last week and there was nothing he could do about it. I thought that was rather sneaky - but I am still happy with my overall, immediate result.

Thanks to all who have posted their successes.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,420
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mardrew wrote: »

One thing to note, and I haven't seen it mentioned in the few pages of threads I've read today, when the advisor sent through the terms and conditions via Chat, they now mention that there is a £10 admin fee charge which is compulsory with the acceptance of any offers which help reduce costs. When I queried it, the advisor said that that was introduced last week and there was nothing he could do about it. I thought that was rather sneaky - but I am still happy with my overall, immediate result.

Thanks to all who have posted their successes.

My son was told the same thing about the £10 admin fee, he declined and they then gave him £10 credit to make up for it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback